Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm currently on Phentermine for 1 month but I haven't had surgery yet. I was required 4 visits with health promotion center before getting my refferal for the surgeon and the doctor put me on phentermine for a month so I could lose as much weight as possible. I didn't think about it at the time but by the end of this month I'll go to the surgeon and I was wondering how long would I have to be off it before surgery?? I don't want to delay the process.

I don't think it makes any difference. I was on Phentermine for YEARS and was addicted to it. It happens if you stay on it for a long time. I had to get off the drug because I couldn't get it anymore. Anyway, if your doc only put you on it for 30 days, I'm sure you're fine. The drug changes your metabolism over time. Don't be surprised when you quit it if you don't feel a little dragged out for a few days, that's what happens. Doubt that this will delay anything surgery-wise.:ihih:

Thanks, I have been on it for 1 week and lost 6 pounds. I'm eating about 800 calories and don't feel at all hungry.

Yes, at first you feel great! Like it's a miracle drug, then your body gets used to it and things change. Make the most of it while you can.:rolleyes:

Thanks, I have been on it for 1 week and lost 6 pounds. I'm eating about 800 calories and don't feel at all hungry.

I have been on Phentermine for 6 weeks now and have lost 48lbs so far with exercise. I was told Tuesday that around another 8 weeks my surgeon would allow me to have the Band. So far it has worked well for me, but the information in this post is very interesting. I hope this continues to go well for me for the remainder of my wait.

I was told that I would be taken off the prescription 2 weeks prior to surgery.

Good luck to you on your journey!

Jason

Hi Jason,

That's wonderful, but like I said it changes the metabolism so it WORKS great. The problem is when you go to get off of it, so when that time comes for you be sure to WEAN off of it, do not quit cold turkey or it won't be pleasant. You'll feel sluggish and after about 3 days off (if doing cold turkey) your appetite will come back with a vengeance. So start taking the dosage down leading up to the day you're supposed to be off and that way you won't go through any withdrawal symptoms.

I have been on Phentermine for 6 weeks now and have lost 48lbs so far with exercise. I was told Tuesday that around another 8 weeks my surgeon would allow me to have the Band. So far it has worked well for me, but the information in this post is very interesting. I hope this continues to go well for me for the remainder of my wait.

Jason

Jason

WOW 48lbs that's really good. I need to lose another 4 pounds. they wanted me to lose a total of 15 pounds. I haven't seen the surgeon yet but with the medical center I belong with require me to have 2 visits with nutritionist and 2 visits with the Dr. so I only have one more visit with Doc. and then I get my refferal to the surgeon. :):smile2:

Now the reason I have lost so much is that my starting weight was 489 with a BMI of 74. I lost a lot of Water weight the first two weeks and now and just plugging away at body fat. I have taken my BMI down to 67 in 6 weeks and am still going strong.

I will talk to my surgeon about the phentermine and going off it slowly. That sounds like great advice and I appreciate you letting me know. Talk to yall soon!

Jason

I took Phentermine for about 6 months and lost 40#. I also had a hysterectomy at that time and only had to be off it for 3 days before the surgery.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the doctor does not want to leave Jason on the drug permanently. It sounds like he's just using the drug as a tool to help him lose 100 pounds before his surgery, and then the surgery will be the next tool to help him in his weight loss journey. I took Phentermine for 30 years - yes, that long, since the 70s, and I was dependant on it. When you go off of it, you will gain back what you lost if you haven't permanently changed your eating habits. It's highly effective for short-term use, but only short-term, because after that you have to take it just to get out of bed in the morning - you know, like uppers, that's the effect of the drug, to suppress the appetite and promote a feeling of well-being. I take it once in a great while when I know I have to be up and busy for the whole day without a break. But I'll never become dependant on it again.:thumbdown: