Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I see that a "psychiatric evaluation" of some sort is required by many insurance companies prior to approval. Can anyone explain to me what this entails? I am currently on anitdepressants for mild depression (going through a nasty divorce), and am wondering if this hurts my chances of getting approved...

Or are they just asking questions to make sure you have realistic expectations of the procedure and outcome?

Thanks.

i know it differs for alot on here, but for me, i had to take a test called "mmpi". some only have to take part of the test, but i took the whole test...it took 2 and a half hours!!! mostly questions like "do you hear voices?" "do you hurt small animals?" its all true/ false. and then afterwards the shrink calls you for a follow up to go over any red flags. i had 4 red flags. most have like 20+. so i guess i did really well. oh, and make sure you tell the truth on the questions, because they ask you over and over again, to make sure you tell the truth. good luck if you do end up taking it. ive read on here about some who have failed the test, because of their depression.

I took the MMPI as well. Just answer the questions honestly and you'll be fine. Then a week later I met with the psychologist. At that time my mom had passed away one week before and I worried about my eval and how I would come across. However, I think they just want to make sure you don't have unrealistic expectations for the surgery. I wouldn't be overly worried about what you are going through right now, I think part of what they are looking for is how do you react to stress and life changes - obviously you are going through some right now, and you are doing what you need to cope and get through it. Just be honest and open. Life isn't perfect, and neither are we.

I had to laugh - after my eval he told me that the test showed I didn't have quite as much social interaction - when he found out I worked from home he said, "That explains it!" They want to make sure you have all kinds of support. Another thing he said was that my test showed I didn't have a lot of faith (religious). I about died laughing at that one. I have very strong faith and was leaning on it heavily at that time after just losing my mother. He said, "I know, after talking with you that is the farthest thing from the truth." I told him I must have read a question incorrectly or something, and he agreed.

i was very concerned about my psych eval. i am treated for generalized anxiety. i am one of many who didn't even have to take a test (MMPI). The psych asked me questions regarding my ability to follow pre and post op instructions, then wrote a letter regarding how (my weight) affected me emotionally and any attempts made in the past at weight loss. done in 30 mins and the letter was faxed from his office to my surgeon that afternoon.

i also do not believe that being treated for depression while going through a divorce is going to prevent you from getting the procedure. it simply shows that, like WLS, you are being proactive in your health, both mental and physical.

Good Luck!

The same as Kat here! I also didn't have to take any test. Although my mother did. I also have slight depression/anxiety. That didn't prevent me from getting approval from the psychiatrist(sp) She didn't even ask why I was on the meds. She just wanted to know what I knew about the surgery and what to expect afterwards. Right now I am just waiting for a date..... Jennifer:lol:

Yes, I took a 300 question test. With yes or no answers. Basically what everyone has said. After I finished that, I met with the actual psychiatrist for about 15 minutes.

I had never heard of the MMPI test until you mentioned it today. Not sure why. I started therapy before I even went to the surgeon. I wanted to know for myself if I was ready and if I was doing this for the right reasons. I started therapy in October 2008, my surgery is scheduled for June 15th (originally scheduled for June 1 but had problems with my insurance). I chose a therapist that had a specialty in obesity medicine. So, as it turned out my psych eval also covered my 6 month diet/food modification because our sessions were focused on my relationship with food and changing the triggers that caused me to overeat.

I am sure you will pass the test with flying colors. I would think that antidepressants would be a help, not a hindrance.

Good luck!

f

Actually, the fact that you are un psych care might speed your approval, as the psych can easily write a letter supporting your need for surgical intervention.

But, it really depends on your Medical group. Some of them like you to go through THEIR shrinks for the eval, but if you can provide them a letter from YOUR psych, you might not have to.

Having said that, consider doing whatever it is they want you to do, in terms of a separate eval. It may help them determine exactly what KIND of surgery would be appropriate for you.

HH

Thanks for your input everyone! That makes me feel a lot better about this! I've taken tests like that before for jobs, and while I think they are a little silly (is anyone going to actually answer that they hurt small animals?!) I guess there is some validity to them.

Phranp - that's a great idea to find a therapist that specializes in obesity medicine. I saw a therapist a few times after I left my husband, but she is more of a family counselor. Finding someone who is more in-tune with the emotions of WLS might be something worth checking into.

Not sure what the protocol will be yet for the testing - I have my first appointment with my Internist next week to get the ball rolling!

When I met with the psychologist I also asked why it was necessary to have a psych eval? One of the things he explained to me is - Usually, when a person has surgery that fixes the problem. This surgery is a tool to help with the problem, but it still takes a commitment to eat right, exercise, etc. He explained that one thing they have found it that a person suffering from some types of mental illnesses have a hard time sticking to that type of commitment. Also, if you haven't dealt with any emotional reasons behind your eating habits, surgery won't really help because in the end you'll likely end up going back to where you were before.

I also took the MMPI. It wasn't bad, just a little time consuming. I met with the psychologist afterward. I was in and out of the office in about 2 hours.

I wouldn't worry about the anti-depressant. If it was prescribed to you and you are using it appropriately, it seems that you are following doctor's orders, right? Nothing wrong with that! Good luck!

We have to do it in Canada too. They are looking for a few key things. After all, it would be very bad form to band a bulemic or a person with budding anorexia. They need to make sure that banding you isn't feeding the proverbial beast. There is also a small portion of the population that are surgery junkies... weird but true. I don't think general depression is going to be a problem. After all, if you were blissfully happy with your life you wouldn't be getting banded would you? It's pretty much to be expected that we're all going to have some level of depression. Dangerously unstable and suicidal is a different story.

Never trust anybody who comes out as absolutely 100% normal on those tests: they're often the serial killers.