Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Easy on the Pocketbook?

Okay, this might be a weird question. But then again, it may be a common question. I suppose I should have done a forum search, but I'm lazy.

I've been discussing this procedure with my husband. We are making all sorts of preparations for me to do this.

I am going to have to go self-pay, though, because my insurance policy doesn't cover bariatric surgery at all.

My question is this:

What affect, if any, have you noticed on your food budget since being banded?

It doesn' t really matter, since I'm doing this regardless, but it would be nice to have a legitimate bonus to this besides weight loss!

:cursing:

What affect, if any, have you noticed on your food budget since being banded?:cursing:

i am self pay as well & my husband is also banded - it is just the 2 of us. i had wondered the same thing & have decided it's a draw.

we use to spend a LOT of money going out to eat - when we do so now the portion size is half & he gets a meal or 2 after the fact ( i'm not so big on leftovers ).

food shopping - it's more. that's because i'm buying much more fresh fruits / veggies / fish / that cost more than say going down the aisles at the market & getting processed stuff.

since you plan on doing it anyway, good luck to ya~

Our food budget has dropped to nothing. For example we had rib eye steaks and baked potatoes for supper yesterday. I will be having the rest of my steak tonight and tomorrow (fine with me; I LOVE IT!) My husband is just eating whatever (foraging). Our bill is literally 1/2 to 1/4 what it once was.

Mine is a LOT less. I used to buy Breakfast and lunch out every day, and now I mainly bring food from home, which is the biggest part of my savings. I also save on overall grocery bills. Last week, it took me 2 dinners to get through one WW Smart Ones dinner, and I still didn't finish it. In the past, I would have had a whole one and been looking for a snack later!

I agree I am spending less I am not going out to lunch anymore and leftovers are generally more than enough for my lunch. Also another positive is that smaller clothes are much less expensive than larger ones, so that will cost you less too!

Mine is a LOT less. I used to buy breakfast and lunch out every day, and now I mainly bring food from home, which is the biggest part of my savings. I also save on overall grocery bills. Last week, it took me 2 dinners to get through one WW Smart Ones dinner, and I still didn't finish it. In the past, I would have had a whole one and been looking for a snack later!

this for me too

However, I find myself getting the really good salmon, nice cut of meat etc. when I go to Whole Foods. I guess, since I don't eat much, I want everything I eat to be really good.

does that make sense? it did when I typed it.

However, I find myself getting the really good salmon, nice cut of meat etc. when I go to Whole Foods. I guess, since I don't eat much, I want everything I eat to be really good.

does that make sense? it did when I typed it.

yes makes sense.

if not at whole foods, i hit my favorite sushi bar and get slabs of tuna/salmon & shell fish.

a bag of raw almonds - double the price of chips, same with getting fresh fruit vs a bag of Cookies.....so i have found.

i am spending less since i don't do fast food at all and if i do a nice restaraunt i always have leftovers but my gro. bills are higher due to fresh foods.

kate

weight.png

Well, interestingly enough, I already shop a lot at Whole Foods and buy organic fruits and veggies, so those are high, anyway.

But we do eat out -- a lot. And we usually do not go to fast food places, either! Though I've heard they can get quite expensive, anyway!

I'm inclined to think our grocery bill and dinner-out bills will be significantly lower.

I'm inclined to think our grocery bill and dinner-out bills will be significantly lower.

Logically they have to be, as long as you adjust your purchases to suit your new appetite (as you get restriction)...

If you can only eat 1/2 to 1/4 (or less) what you used to, you will only need to buy 1/2 to 1/4 as much food FOR YOU...

It will definitely be cheaper than doing a "diet" like WW etc.

Thanks, as I said, I hypothesized it would (might, could probably) be less, but I wanted to check it out with people who have been there and can confirm it for me!

I do understand the spending more money on fresher foods, but I also like the sound of what others of you have said, that you really have found that you are spending less on food!

I have a taste for finer things now.. finer cuts of meat, better produce, lots of nuts. Our grocery bill has probably gone up cause there are no breads or pastas filling up my stomach, and only good stuff.

Another thing to consider is the cost of Protein drinks, at least in the beginning. Depending on the kind you choose (I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and Nectar), a Protein Drink can cost $1 or more per serving. A few of those a day can start to add up.

That being said, even with the Protein Drinks, we're spending much less in groceries and going out to eat.

Grocery bills are more -- for all the reasons listed above.

Going out--MUCH less. We never get fast food anymore and when we go out, I don't usually order anything...just eat part of the appetizer and a spoon of whatever my hubby and/or son ordered! They can't eat it all anyways.

That said...in the beginning it was a challenge remembering that I couldn't eat like I used to. I would always order a meal when we went out and ended up barely touching it (even over a day or two).

Thanks, as I said, I hypothesized it would (might, could probably) be less, but I wanted to check it out with people who have been there and can confirm it for me!

I do understand the spending more money on fresher foods, but I also like the sound of what others of you have said, that you really have found that you are spending less on food!

You also might want to consider the long term costs of obesity in terms of health costs because you definitely will save money on prescriptions, Dr. co-pays and other medical procedures in the future. And, we can't put a price on feeling good!!!