Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port infection?

I went to the surgeon this morning and my port incision is infected. :) He said it could be superficial and will heal with antibiotics in about 2 wks. Or the port is infected in which case it will have to be removed and replaced in another area. Oh no. I have to go back every week until it heals or whatever it is going to do. No fills for sure. Wish me luck.:thumbup:

awww, i'm sorry to hear that!!! i'm hoping that you dont have to go through another surgery!! {{{{{sending you get well quick hugs}}}} !!!

how did he determine it was infected? Was it oozing or painful? Yikes! Hope it clears up and you don't have to have it moved. fingers crossed.

Thanks, Yes it had popped open and has yellowish drainage. Thank God not much pain. I have had my share of that for awhile.

I went to the surgeon this morning and my port incision is infected. :eek: He said it could be superficial and will heal with antibiotics in about 2 wks. Or the port is infected in which case it will have to be removed and replaced in another area. Oh no. I have to go back every week until it heals or whatever it is going to do. No fills for sure. Wish me luck.:ihih:

How can you tell if you have an infection? Just curious because I was playing with the port area last night and there are like a few lumps by the incisions I feel the port but if I move my finger a few centermeters away, I have like 2 or 3 "chunky lumps" around the incision... can ya let me know? thank you :eek:

sarahbellzz14-4,signs of infection are redness, drainage, pain, swelling. My incision popped open and is draining yellowish drainage. It is also red and slightly painful. I would'nt think that the incision being lumpy would mean anything. Maybe just watch it. I hope it is nothing. Mine still looks uck this morning. I can only keep it clean , take the antibiotic and hope for the best. Good luck.

Update, I saw the surgeon this am. He said he thinks it is healing and the infection is superficial. Also that I am a slow healer. Another incision on my abdomen is not healed. It is red and has a scab still. I am diabetic and it takes my skin forever to heal if I get a scratch. I hope he is right. The port incision if still open and draining small amounts. I have lost 6lbs. since last Tuesday. He said I do not need a fill yet because I am losing so well. Yey on the wt. lose. That makes 25 lbs since getting the band on May15. I keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I heal and don't wind up having that port moved. My surgeon is leaving at the end of the month so I will be someone elses problem soon.

Well on this same subject... I am 3 weeks out from surgery. The last 2-3 days my port area has been really sore, like right after the surgery. This morning I was in the shower I bent over to shave my legs (which I have been doing since like day 4 after the surgery with no problem) The worst pain shot through my port site. It felt like I was stabbed it took me almost a minute to be able to stand up right again. It lasted about 4-5 minutes. I had to just stand there. Now it is really sore but no more stabbing pain. I put in a call to the surgeon and I am waiting for a return call. It was scary though.