Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots Of Questions!!

I Am To Be Banded On 9-19-05, Now That It Is Getting Closer To The Date, I Feel A Little Scared. My Questions Are: Will It Hurt Much? How Much Time Can I Expect To Be Out Of Work( I Took Off 1 Week), What Can I Use For The Gas Pain?, How Long Is The Hospital Stay?

I Had My Last Visit Before Surgery With My Doctor Today, But I Forgot To Ask These So Important Questions. I Guess I Forgot To Ask Because I Was So Damn Happy To Be Approved And To Be Having My Surgery Next Week!!!!!!!

For me it hurt like the dickens! I woke up in the recovery room thinking I was having a heart attack. I kept saying, "My chest hurts, my chest hurts!" and pounding it with my fist. The doctor came to say that it wasn't my chest, but my abdomen. Which I thought was hillarious.. my abdomen was between my breasts!?!? Well, anyway, that's how I remember the conversation. :)

I had a lot of pain for the first few days, then about day 5 it was suddenly gone and I could relax and enjoy my time off from work.

BTW, make sure to ask before the surgery that they give you something for nauseau right away. I have a problem with anesthesia .. it always, always makes me nauseaus. And the one thing you don't want to do is throw up after surgery and have to go through the whole thing over again!

I remember thinking (and still wondering today) why I always thought people who had weight loss surgery were taking the easy way out. It was so very hard at first and it really hurt. Even now there's a lot to think about and do and be careful about, but all-in-all things are pretty great. (I'm 7 weeks post-op tomorrow.)

I stayed only one night after surgery. I think that's pretty common.

Didn't have much gas pain after the surgery, though the Dr. told me I probably would have pain in my shoulder, etc. and I did have a bit. He gave me something for the pain in general, an analgesic (if I remember correctly), and some other kind of medicine to take for a while after surgery. Funny how I can't remember what it all was. *shrug* But I know there were 3.

Despite the pain, I'd do it all over again because so many wonderful things have happened to me these past 7 weeks. Mainly, I have not had to take any medication for diabetes or high blood pressure since the day before my surgery! I was on maximum doses of 2 meds and very high doses of 2 others and POOF! it's all gone now. In fact, I donated what I had left of those 4 meds to evacuees of Katrina who are staying in our area.

PTL!

For me it did not hurt at all, I just took liquid tylenol for pain, needed nothing stronger. I felt so good the next day I was shopping in downtown TJ walking all over the place. Walking is the best medicine for gas pains, as soon as you are out of recovery and not groggy get yourself up and walk the halls, get that gas moving, Walk Walk Walk. I took 1 week off fro mwork, could of went back sooner but since my job requires me to be around food all day long I was not usre mentally how I would handle it being only on liquids, physically I felt fine to go back to work sooner. Hospital stay should just be one night , not many od us stayed more then one night.

Best of luck to you next week :)

Hello there ..I would have to say discomfort is the best way to explain the feeling.The incision point are tender and the first day you are sore but I felt better by the hour.As long as your job doesn't require heavy lifting I would say you will be ready to go back within a week.I would have been happy to go back the next day but I have to say I found that it was the anaesthesia mediacation which took me longer to get over.As I found it hard to concentrate or focus to read and I would have been capable to drive as I felt I was still under theeffects of the drug for the best part of a week.

Good Luck.. such an exciting journey/

For the gas I took extra strength chewable gas-x (meijer brand actually) and for the pain I also took liquid adult strength tylenol. I had Tylenol 3 with codine and only took it for the first few nights, to help me sleep. I agree with La madam, walk as much as you can. I spent the night at the hospital and my routine was everytime I went to the bathroom I made a lap around the hall, everytime they brought me pain meds (every 4 hours) I made 2 laps around the hall. The next day I walked every 30 mins a complete lap around the floor that I was on and didnt really have gas pain, just loads of gas. My tummy was bloated and I burped so loud it scared our kitties. I was also told that Milacon (sp?) in the baby section is really good, but it was expensive due to the amount of the dose required for an adult. ~Mandy

I am almost 3 weeks post banding. I also stayed one night in the hospital. I did take the prescribed pain medicine twice after coming home, both times at bedtime hoping to make myself comfortable enough to sleep. I sleep on my stomach and had a hard time not doing that, but am now on my tummy once again!! I did not have any gas pain, but I did walk frequently. As far as work goes, I have not returned yet, going to start back next Monday. I am a nurse in a busy emergency room and you never know what or how much I may need to lift. So..I had the time to take off and did! I am very eager to return(my daughter is a freshman this year and keeps me running more than if I were at work) I did play some tennis this week without any problems. Good luck to you!

You all sound like you did so well! I was banded on Monday (2 days ago) and left the hospital 2 hours after surgery. I'm doing ok. I have a LOT of gas pain, but it's not in my shoulder, thankfully. When I woke up from surgery it didn't hurt too bad for me, but about an hour later I could start to feel the gas pain. I think the worst part is just not being able to get comfortable. Other than that, it's not too bad. I "amen" the walk, walk, walking. It helps, really.

I go tomorrow to get banded. I have a walking date on Saturday morning so hopefully I will be up to it ! I also like what la madame said cus I need to go shopping the next day too !

It's funny Daisybelle - I also had my surgery 7 weeks ago, and my experience was almost identical to yours. I also woke up in recovery with really bad pain in my chest.

It subsided pretty quickly, and my recovery overall has gone very smoothly.

Vanesa, I was tired for about 2 weeks after my surgery, but if you work in a desk job I think you'll be fine to return to work in a week. Good luck with your surgery!

Good luck Vanesa! No worries, it'll go great.

I too left the hospital a couple hours after surgery. That's standard procedure with my doc unless something goes wrong. So you definitely need to call your docs office and find out whether someone needs to drive you home right after surgery or if you'll be there overnight.

If you are nauseous when you wake up after surgery they will give you some anti-nausea medication and you'll feel better.

Mostly you'll have gas and port pain for the first week or so. chewable extra-strength Gas-X and whatever pain meds they want you on will help with both.

And feel free to come here and vent about your gas or port pain if you want -- you'll get lots of support & encouragement from everyone who's been through it.

Thanks So Much For Your Words Of Wisdom, I Will Definitely Be Coming To Vent!! I Work As A Medical Assistant So Most Of The Day I Am Standing Up And Walking Back And Forth, Maybe I'll Ask My Head Nurse To Let Me Have A Desk Job For A Week. She Has Been Very Understanding And Encouraging, So I See No Problem With A Week Off My Feet. I Hope!!!

Lots of poeple talke gasX or baby gas drops for the gas. I stayed over night, but that's only because they wanted to make sure I wasnt' going to have any issues with my asthma. My DH was in hospital for several days, but he weighed 600 pounds when he had his band installed. LOTS of issues when you are that gi-normous.

I went shopping the next day, but I was tired for a few weeks. Two weeks after my surgery I was enrolled in a horseback riding class.

Hello

Its me Erin and I just got banded today ! I feel great ! I had really bad pain in my shoulder of all things for the first few hours of waking up. It just stopped hurting though so Im feeling alot better ! My son is mad cus he thought I would be in bed and he could have the computer all to himself! haha I do feel a littel sore at the incisions, but other than that I really feel fine. I will let you know how I feel tomorrow though ! Thank you everyone for your good wishes ! Im so excited to start this new journey !

Erin, congrats! Isn't it nice to have the surgery DONE?

I was banded Monday and just want to share some things I've found to be helpful: 1. Walk at least 5 times a day. It really helps with the gas pain. 2. Use your ice pack! I found the gas pain felt much better if I kept the ice pack on my diaphragm. 3. Limit your fruit juice intake. I just discovered today that fruit juice is the reason I've been having MORE gas, and 4. Drink fluids with calories for energy! You may have already known all of this, but it's stuff I've just discovered, so I thought I'd share.

Good luck to you in the next few days. I hope you feel good!