Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone PLAN on having the band removed once they reach their goal?

I'm getting banded on June 19th :thumbup: and ever since I decided to have the lap band when I was 18.. about 20 months ago I have always said that I would have it removed after a few years because of risks of complications in the future.

But after seeing my surgeon and going through all these tests and appointments and learning more I kind of think I'll keep it on. The main reasons I want it off is simply because I'm very paranoid that after a while it could slip or I'd have erosion. Also, I'm only 20 years old and I want to have kids in a couple of years and I just don't know how well that would work out if I still had the band on.

So is there anyone else out there that thinks they may have it removed after they reach their goal or after they feel disciplined enough to do it on their own? Has anyone had kids with it on..? How did that work out? Has anyone seen complications arise after having it on for more than 2 years.... ?

I'm still EXTREMELY excited to get it done after this long 18 month journey. I'm in my two week liquid diet and counting down the days. (11 days!!):thumbup:

My doc said, if you have it taken off or unfilled when you hit your goal, you'll get fat again. I agree with this. All statistics show this, and every banded person I have ever seen that has had a significant unfill/removal has put the weight back on.

Not a chance... I have gained and lost a million times and have no reason to believe I can live without the band. If I need to eat more to maintain my weight I will have it reduced but I can always get a fill if the weight starts creeping up again. It is like a security blanket. Good luck on your journey.

Its not really designed to be removed once you reach goal. As the others have said if its removed you are likely to regain what you have lost. Plus why would you want to go through more surgery unless you have to?

The advantage is that you can have it removed if it needs to be . However if its fine and not giving any problems it would be better to leave it there.

I think that there is a forum for people that are pregnant with the band. You might want to visit there so that you can see what to expect if you do get pregnant.

Seriously, this is not meant with any intention of offending at all, but if you're thinking that you might remove it, then you're not ready for weight loss surgery.

The key to this is being willing to DO WHAT IT TAKES. There is no room for thinking you can go through the pain short term and then go 'back to normal'. To lose weight, wether you do it by diet and exercise alone or with the help of surgery, the change in your behaviours must be forever.

In deciding to have a lapband you are deciding you are committed enough to the process and doing what you have to to wear the risk of things going wrong.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in deciding you dont want to take that risk. But it is very flawed to think you can take it for a while and then escape it. You must be absolutely certain that you are willing to give up all those comforting habits this very day, not leave yourself an out down the track.

Statistically, that works for virtually nobody.

Seriously, this is not meant with any intention of offending at all, but if you're thinking that you might remove it, then you're not ready for weight loss surgery.

I certainly understand the sentiment and as a walking billboard for success your opinion must be respected. However, I think her thought is very common and I shared it at the time. Many people choose the band, at least at first because it is reversible. I know that was one of the first things I expressed when I first talked to the doctor. I felt that way, but now am better educated. To the original poster, if you hit your goal weight and feel you have the discipline to maintain it, you can let all the restriction out of the band.

At this point it is comforting to know that if there is an issue requiring the band to be removed it can be.

As for her being ready or not, that is part of the long evaluation process and one reason you can't decide to have this done and do it the next day.

I certainly understand the sentiment and as a walking billboard for success your opinion must be respected. However, I think her thought is very common and I shared it at the time. Many people choose the band, at least at first because it is reversible.

The MAIN reason I chose the band is because it's reversible. Not because I want to have it taken off but just knowing that if there was a complication that it could be removed with virtually no problem, unlike the other bariatric surgeries.

I do however want to keep it on, maybe I wasn't clear on that. I don't want to drop 100lbs then take it off and eat like an idiot and just gain the weight back. I know that the entire point of the surgery would be moot if I did that. I'm completely ready for this surgery and have spent the last 18 months making sure that I'll be a success story and won't need to add this to my list of failed weight loss attempts.

My issue is just that I'm young and haven't had kids yet and doctors have already told me that I might have complications trying to get pregnant due to some infections as a kid so I was wondering if the band would be an added stress down the line when I do want kids.

Also, I wanted to see if anyone out there has had the band for more than a few years and started to experience any problems with it? I guess my thinking is that.. is my body really going to never have any serious problems with this foreign object in it for the next 60+ years of my life.

Again, I don't want it off. I don't want this to be some quick fix and then just regain my weight. I know what I'm in for and I know what the band is meant for I just wanted some opinions.

Sarae,

There are no guarantees with the band. At all. I will be honest with you... I am over a year and a half post op, and consider myself a success story. I will ride my band until the wheels fall off. But I do figure, statistically, something will happen down the line, that will make me end up having to have it removed. There are more and more statistics that are showing that by the 10 year mark, almost 50% of people have to have their band removed for some reason, whether it is a complication, a slip, erosion, or insufficient weight loss. I don't PLAN on being in that 50%, but I do know it is a reality. And if that is the case, I'll be revising to the sleeve. I hope everyone is realistic and has an alternate plan for if their band doesn't stick around forever. I know if mine doesn't, I'll put the weight right back on. So, I've got a sleeve fund started, just in case.

I am sorry my post is not all positive 'Suzy Sunshine' cause in real life, I am a super positive person... but on this forum, I want people to know the positives AND negatives of this surgery so they can make a completely informed decision.

Hi! I understand your concern about wanting to have children. I have one and am hoping to have another in the future. I talked to my surgeon about my concerns. He explained that pregnancy is not a huge issue when it comes to the band. He told me to wait at least 2 years for my body to readjust, and then, when I'm ready, I can have another child. He'll just let some of saline out of my band so that I can adjust to the needed increase in calories. (If I had would have had gastric or the sleeve, I wouldn't have this option. I'd be on my own to deal with the dietary issues!) Of course, I'll have to make sure I take my Vitamins and everything. I hope this helps you! Good luck! :thumbup:

I don't plan on having it removed once I reach goal, or anytime, unless something goes wrong of course. Think of it this way, once you get pregnant and have a baby, how will you lose that weight if you don't have the band? I have heard from a lot of people on here who say that the reason they got the band was because they gained during pregnancies and couldn't get the weight off.

Yeah I've been reading some of those pregnancy threads and it seems that there haven't been too many problems with having the band on. I know every person is different but I guess just having it loosened would probably do the trick.

And kgloverii I appreciate the honesty I prefer not to be surprised by complications with the band in the future. I'd rather know the truth and go into the procedure KNOWING what may or may not happen in the years following. I'm all about being positive in my day to day but we all know life isn't ever perfect. Do you actually know of anyone who had to have it removed..? And... did they just gain the weight right back?

I still think that even if in 5 or 10 years something happens and my band gets removed that by that point I will have gained enough will power and understanding of how to eat to not let myself gain all that weight back. But at the same time I'm a realist and know that food can be soooo tempting :grouphug: Especially spanish food.. mmm.

And.. I've never heard of the sleeve. I've seen one or two people mention it but I had never heard of it before. The imageries I have are comical.. I'm pretty sure it's nothing like what I'm thinking.

I am at goal after just over two years with my band. I lost 87 pounds & weigh 131 now, you can do the math. I don't want to have my band removed, but I had to have it unfilled. I really pushed it to keep it filled long enough to loss the last 10 pounds. I knew it had slipped. It took work for me to even get enough liquid down. It was one small swallow at a time. I couldn't eat much of anything. I had bouts of nighttime acid reflux, & by the time I reached goal & went to TJ for, at least a partial refill, I had a pretty severe case of gastritis. When the fill doctor looked at the floroscope he said I had to totally unfill the band. Of course I dreaded this, fearing immediate weight gain, but he left me no choice and I wasn't surprised. He also said about 80% of the people whose band looked like this had to have them out, but then also noted a couple of things in favor of me beating those odds. It's been more than a month & the gastritis has almost resolved & after 3 weeks on liquids & mushies, I can eat most anything. I still have restriction on certain things; chicken, salad, sticky rice,etc., but mainly I can eat most anything. The really great thing is that after almost 5 weeks, I haven't gained weight. I have been on Weight Watchers all along. It's just before it was easy, now I have to work at it, but so far so good. I made it to goal & am a Lifetime member. I want to keep my band so I can get it refilled if I need to. I am cautiously optimistic. By the way - I look great, at least to me, and I'm enjoying the heck out of buying size 8 clothes.

I started my sleeve funds as well and will transition to sleeve if there is any need for it. I don't ever want to be fat again, ever if I manage to get to my goal weight.

I worry about long term effect of the band too and my doctor said that only smokers have the history of band erosion and that I can have my band on as long as 15 yrs

I believe everyone is right about a) being ready to get banded and; :grouphug: being aware that something can go wrong, and at times, does.

I, too, have been doing my research on the sleeve "just in case."

My personal two cents: I would much rather be banded and pregnant than bypassed and pregnant. Sleeved, I don't know about.

Hi! I understand your concern about wanting to have children. I have one and am hoping to have another in the future. I talked to my surgeon about my concerns. He explained that pregnancy is not a huge issue when it comes to the band. He told me to wait at least 2 years for my body to readjust, and then, when I'm ready, I can have another child. He'll just let some of saline out of my band so that I can adjust to the needed increase in calories. (If I had would have had gastric or the sleeve, I wouldn't have this option. I'd be on my own to deal with the dietary issues!) Of course, I'll have to make sure I take my Vitamins and everything. I hope this helps you! Good luck! :thumbup:

This was also exactly what my surgeon told me :) I didn't want the band to stop me from having more children if I wanted to...in fact I was told that being banded can make people even more fertile (obviously because they lose weight) and again, no problems with it in during pregnancy.Goodluck with everything!