Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have erosion, I am so sad

I just found out I have erosion, and I have to have my band removed soon, I am scheduled for June 15th. I really don't want to have it removed. I am so scared that I will gain all my weight back. Ihave had my band for almost 3 years. I have lost 74 lbs. I have been so happy with my weight loss and my looks and health since looseing the weight. Now I am so very scared. I am scared to have the surgery as it is harder to get it removed than getting it put in. I don't know why I have erosion, my Dr was very vag about anything he told me about having an erosion. He really didn't tell me much, and nothing about why it happened.

Is there anyone out there that has had this happen? Has anyone been rebanded? What weight control has helped?

I am new to this site today, but I am very interested if anyone has gone through what I am going through.

Thanks

So sorry to hear that for you! I hope it all goes well and your doctor can provide you with some options.

Mildge,

I am also so sorry to hear that you have eroded also. I have had my band 3 years and 7 months. I am very thankful that nothing has gone wrong. Don't be worried about getting your band removed (surgery). You need to stay positive. I truly believe in being positive. You doctor probably doesn't know for certain why you eroded. My question is, do you drink soda or anything with carbonation? I remember they used to think that. My doctor believes that part of the reason for erosion is a band that is not properly fit for the person. I do have the smallest band (4cc?) and he said it was a perfect fit for me. Once you lose weight you band loosens around your stomach which would cause the band to slide up and down which could cause a hole in your stomach which is "Erosion".

You are able to get another band placed on your stomach maybe in 6 months. The hole in your stomach must heal in full and then once the stomach is closed up where the hole was you can have the band replaced.

You should have learned alot in the 3 years of your weight loss. You should be a pro by now and not worry about it. Now you must take a stand and believe in yourself and realize that it was you who lost the weight, not your band. Keep looking at your beautiful self and believe you can do it.

Josephine

Thanks so much for your reply, I am trying to use mind over matter, each morning before Iget up I try to think positive thoughts. No Ihavne't drank soda ever since I got banded, Idid however PB alot. I don't think I had enough training on taking care of my self with the band. Patient education.

My Dr said he doesn't reband after an erosion, he said it isn't proven safe yet. I am wondering about the HCG Diet,

Can you go to another doctor without endangering your health? He should be willing to talk to you about what might have caused it (they don't always know) and discussed options with you, like a "revision" surgery to the sleeve, for example.