Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you change your eating schedule/habit from 3 meals a day to 4-5 small ones and possibly a snack?

I am finding since my 2nd fill I am eating more because it is time to eat and not that I am that "hungry". BUT.... I am drinking a LOT and not snacking as much as I did after the 1st fill... So I basically feel I am forcing myself to get in the nutrients/protein. I call it habit eating and not hungry eating... does this make sense?:confused:

Also riddle me this... Why is it that eggs for Breakfast dont fill me up anymore (they did pre-band) and yet now I can eat 1 granola bar or a oatmeal bar which is tiny tiny and feel stuffed? Don't get me wrong- I still love eggs it is just lately they dont "do the trick".....I wonder if its more habit eating than actual huger eating....

That's exactly the opposite of what I was told to do. My surgeon is a firm believer in 3 small meals a day, at SET times (he says we can train ourselves to get hungry at a certain time, just like we do our pets who get fed at the same time each day. If you doubt it, ask anyone who works a set schedule with a set meal time. On their days off, they'll get

hungry during that time) He is also adamant about NO Snacks.

Anyway 3 meals, no Snacks. Now that I have restriction it's a piece of cake. In fact I struggle to get the 3 meals in.

I was told the band doesn't work unless you stick to the 3 meal a day plan?

My surgeon too says Snacks or more frequent meals MAKE THE BAND FAIL! However....evidence says this is NOT true because many successful people on here do snack, and do not subscribe to the "three meal a day" plan.

I think once again this just shows how different we all are, how much the "pros" disagree, and how we all need to use the band in the way that best works FOR US.

If I had 4-5 small meals and a snack daily I'd be always hungry and not lose well....something to do with blood sugar and insulin resistance. I'm not diabetic (thank God) but do have metabolic syndrome. 3 meals concentrating on Protein give me the best energy level and control of my diet while some eating that way feel woozy and faint. We have to find what works for us then work it!

I didnt. Some days I eat Snacks if I'm hungry, many days I eat Snacks because I'm at home and its there (bad bad habit). Other days I'm busy and eat just 3 meals and other days I'm super busy and only eat 2 meals. To me, its real life, not a 'program' which for me is every bit as destined to fail as it ever was.

As for the eggs thing, well I've always found that with my band. Protein doesnt fill me up like they say it should - wholegrain carbs, fruit and vegetables DO. We dont get told to do Protein first here anyway, so I base my diet on wholegrain carbs and fruit with more moderate amounts of protein. I usually have some sort of Cereal or bread for breakfast, the carb hit gets my day started well (but I absolutely dont eat crappy carbs) and then I eat my protein at lunch and dinner. I dont usually eat any carbs at dinner, not intentionally but its more that sometime you have to get in lots of vegies and rice, Pasta or bread takes up all the room. At lunchtime I normally eat a sandwich or something. If i do that, the urge to snack doesnt strike, if I eat a protein/vegetable lunch such as a salad, I will need to eat again before dinner.

Overall though, as long as I eat right at the meal - protein, wholegrain and some fruit or vegies, I do best on 3 meals per day - snacking just sets me off and I tend to keep on eating. And I have huge trouble snacking on healthy foods, I simply cannot break the association between snacking and foods like chips, Cookies, etc.

Edited by Jachut

I was told the band doesn't work unless you stick to the 3 meal a day plan?

it does work - i think it depends on your activity.

my surgeon prefers the 3 meals per day for those who live sedentary lives - who do little to no exercise.

that just doesn't cut it for active folks in my opinion.....for example this AM i had greek yogurt w/granola, then took a spin class/speed walked 20mins on the treadmill & burned over 750 calories. i could chew someones arm off while leaving if i don't pack some raw nuts/ostrich jerky/fruit .. before i can get home to eat a proper lunch.

on days i don't do any exercise - i eat much less; but on avg i have 3 meals & 1 or 2 Snacks.

my surgeon agrees with monkey's surgeon....no snacks....3 meals a day....based on my work schedule i do eat around the sametime everyday...on the weekends i tend to skip meals...which isnt good...i know...i know...but i run errands like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i stay away from fast food for the most part...if i'm out and about and starving i will get chili from wendys....a chicken breast from el pollo loco or grilled chicken strips from jack in the box....snacking...will start up really bad habits 4 me....luckily i'm at my sweet spot and stay full for 4 to 5 hours....

My surgeon says 3 meals a day, no snacking. They also encourage you to eat only when you are truly hungry (learning to listen to what your body needs rather than supplying it with calories when it isn't askig for it) so I had to get away from eating simply because it was time to. This seems to work well for me - and luckily I work from home so my mealtime can vary if needed, although usually breakfast is the only one that does. Sometimes I'm hungry at 6:30, some days not til 9:00. lunch and dinner are pretty predictable.

It's amazing how different our surgeons are and their philosophies, yet for the most part everyone seems to do well. I guess they differ as much as our journeys do.

I am banded Monday, so sick of the pre op diet!!! My nutrionist told me because my blood sugar tends to drop easy I need to have small Snacks specially when I am active and working out. So far on the pre op diet, I haven't done to the tea,but I have lost 5lbs. I am excited about Monday and not looking forward to the pain and the one week of liquid protien diet, those shakes can be so borring I have to spice things up with my blender and fresh fruit. I think as long as you are losing what does snacks matter it is about health food. I was so tormented when my kids made brownies last night filling my house with that evil chocolate yummie smell. I didn't have one!!! Proud of my self! Now my worry is I have to work 5days later after surgery on my feet mabye up to 8hrs, I am excepting to be sore and tired. I hope to see the scale move down and down I don't care if it is only 5lbs a month it moving down, and when i get below 200 I will be so excited.:redface:

starting 243

surgery 6/8

now 237

How did you change your eating schedule/habit from 3 meals a day to 4-5 small ones and possibly a snack?

I am finding since my 2nd fill I am eating more because it is time to eat and not that I am that "hungry". BUT.... I am drinking a LOT and not snacking as much as I did after the 1st fill... So I basically feel I am forcing myself to get in the nutrients/protein. I call it habit eating and not hungry eating... does this make sense?:(

Also riddle me this... Why is it that eggs for Breakfast dont fill me up anymore (they did pre-band) and yet now I can eat 1 granola bar or a oatmeal bar which is tiny tiny and feel stuffed? Don't get me wrong- I still love eggs it is just lately they dont "do the trick".....I wonder if its more habit eating than actual huger eating....

My surgeon said only 3 small meals a day. I have started eating my breakfast and luch together (brunch) around noon. I eat my dinner around 4:30 or 5. Then I eat my last meal around 8 or 8:30. I was told NO Snacks between meals but to be honest, sometimes I feel hunger between my 1st and 2nd meal and at times, I will eat something like a Protein Bar and that helps satisfy me until dinner time rolls around.