Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange question regarding WLS and a low bmi

Ok, so I had my first visit with the surgeon. My BMI is 37.5. but I have medical issues like high blood pressure, etc. which necessitates the lap band surgery. I really have only 70 pounds to loose. My problem is that they want me to lose 10-15 pounds on my own...not a problem in itself. But the surgeon doesn't pass in the request to the insurance company until I pass the psych. test, dietician and 4 wkly group sessions. If I lose that weight them my BMI will be even lower and possibly that will put the surgery off as they might feel that I don't "need" it. On the other hand, if I don't loose any weight, then my numbers don't change and the surgery will probably we okayed. I can loose weight ok, but put it back on right away as I just can get Portion Control on track and I never feel full. So, with only a lesser amount to loose what should I do???? :crying: Lose the 10-15 pounds and chance the surgery no happening or try to maintain and have my liver in an uproar. Of course if I don't loose some weight on my own, then I understand that the surgeon won't do the surgery either. I feel like I am between and rock and a hard wall...

Anyone else have this issue?:wub:

personally - i don't get the "you must lose 10-20lbs" before surgery to "qualify" for some surgeons. isn't the reason we (collective) need WLS is because dieting is difficult w/out some sort of assistance????

i would get a copy of your insurance policy as it pertains to weight loss surgery. the requirements, the guidelines, the BMI factor, comorbidities, etc. if you lose 15lbs, that really drops your BMI down to range that may not be covered.

there is also finding another surgeon/surgical group that does not make this a requirement.

One of my surgeon's requirements is that I lose 10% of my starting weight, which would be 21 lbs. for me. I asked how that would impact me when it came time to submit all my paperwork to the insurance. I was advised that the surgeon submits the bmi/weight from my very first appointment.

I also asked hypothetically if the surgeon would move forward if I lost only 10 to 15 pounds vs, 21 pounds but had met all other pre-op requirements. I was advised that this would not keep me from having the surgery.

Good luck!

You need to get some definite answers from both your insurance company and your surgeon about this and present the weight you would be if you lost the 10 pounds. Would your BMI still qualify for insurance? If you don't lose 10 pounds would your surgeon still do the surgery? After my 2 weeks liquid only pre-op diet my BMI was 34.8. I was afraid that my insurance wouldn't approve it, but they did. Keep in mind that the less weight you have to lose before surgery, the less you will lose after surgery - so don't pay attention to those who post those fantastic first month weight losses. They had more to lose and probably lost less before surgery, too. Good luck to you.