Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long should I be on liquids after a fill?

Hi all,

I had my first fill 6 days ago. My doctor said that I should stay on liquids for 48 hours (which I did) and then begin eating solids so long as I chew well and take small bites. I feel like I've been doing that, but it seems that no matter what I eat feels like a lead ball sitting in my stomach. I'm not PB'ing, it just hurts for 5-10 minutes until I burp a few times (sorry for the pleasant details). Is this normal? Will it always be slightly painful to eat?

What exactly is the definition of eating slow? Does it take everyone here 45 minutes to eat a few ounces of food? Because if so, I'm gonna have to give up restaurants. I got in 3 bites tonight before I had to get up and walk around to try to ease the pain in my stomach. When I got back, my hubby and kids were done eating.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to go back on liquids? Please help!

I agree with Vines...I think you could be a little to tight. I was on liquids for 48 hours, mushies another 48 and then solids and I haven't had any problems. I actually need another fill. Everyone is so different I would say go back and get a slight unfill.

Gosh, I am getting nervous about getting my first fill. Have any suggestions about making sure you do not get too tight?

Haygal from Texas

Banded 8-15-05

Lost 22 lbs!!

drink Water right after

Thanks for the advice. It never occurred to me that I might be too tight, but that must have been denial. I guess I just assumed it would change if I waited long enough. I'm going to schedule an unfill. I hope I don't lose all my restriction... ;)

This is what our doc does. He ask how we are consuming food first. I can not eat in the morning but I do drink my protien drink. By noon I can eat Soup or a little food and by dinner I can eat a small salad with soft meat. Then he will give a small amount of Fluid in the band and we have to sit there and drink 2 small glass of Water. If it goes down in 20 minutes than we can leave but if we Pb than he takes some out or if we cough like we are having water going down the wrong pipe he takes some out. Than for 2 days we are on liquids again. This way we are not over filled. I am down 100lbs in 1 year and I feel great

I was given Water over 20 minutes at my fill as well, and it went down fine. I'm just worried because, while I do have slightly reduced restriction in the evening, I always have discomfort when I eat. It's like an air bubble forms in my stomach and I've got to burp to relieve the pressure. It's not a PB, just regular burping. Yesterday went a little better, so I've decided to give it a few weeks before I get an unfill.

My daughter has the same problem. she has a more touchy stomach than I do.Some times after a fill she will dry heav for a day. When she first had the band put on she had gas problem and I don't think it will change much. I just now that is lesson after a few days. She has always had stomach trouble but she is now down 105 lbs in a year and she for the first time likes herself. So she tells me this gas problem is will worth it.

Thanks BJ - that's what I need to hear! :D I can live with anything if I'm down 100 lbs in a year.

You are going to find that with each fill things will be different. I found that the first 2 fill I had only brief restrictions but now that I have had 4 I really notice the difference. I have to eat much slower and I still get thing stuck and it hurts a little to pass them. This is the first time I have PB a lot but I live with it and I have learned to chew chew chew. I can't eat bread or biscuits unless I make sure they are real waterly in my mouth. I have never been fond of bread so I really don't miss anything.

Bev

Guest 2bthinagain

I am now just doing research on this procedure. What exactly is this "fill" I keep seeing mentioned?

There's a whole area dedicated to fills on this website. Go to the Forum Jump at the bottom of the screen and click on the fills area.

The band is made of plastic with a silicone ring inside. The band is placed around the stomach and saline is injected through a port to decrease the size of the band and increase restriction. The more restriction, the slower food moves through your pouch and into the larger stomach. Usually, the band goes on and then you recover for 4-6 weeks before getting your first fill.

Good luck with your research. This site has tons of information to help you make your decision!

A fill is when they but liquid in you port to tighten your band. The Lapband is adjustable and the port is under your skin. It could be up by a rib or down on top of your navel. Mine is by my rib and I have never been numb to put Fluid in but my daughter who has it by her navel was numb up.

Bev