Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the "Sweet Spot" equal pain?

I had my banding on April 7 and have had two fills, but with almost no noticable result. I can still eat as much as I want, as long as I chew to a puree consistency. If I don't chew well enough, I have major pain from the food sticking and I get "the slimes."

My question is this: How will I know when I hit the sweet spot? Will I get a normal sensation of being full, or will pain be the indicator because food just won't go down no matter how much I chew?

My question is this: How will I know when I hit the sweet spot? Will I get a normal sensation of being full, or will pain be the indicator because food just won't go down no matter how much I chew?

Neither....you need to realize the new way your body feels full, and by the sound of it you are not there yet. I don't feel full in my lower stomach, like I did before. Now I feel it in my chest area. There is no pain just a feeling that I know if I eat one more bite it might not stay down. Some people say they never feel that before BP's, to them I say they eat to fast! Also, I am not able to eat anything I want regardless how much I chew it. Breads, some meats, pastas and a handful of other things I was able to eat until my 3rd fill, not any more. I don't even try, there is plenty of other foods I can eat...that are healthy choices...that I stick to now. Good luck! Hopefully you find your "sweet spot" soon!

Ditto. At any level of restriction if you treat your band wrong you have pain and vomiting as your reward. Its just a matter of learning new habits, it takes time and a little bit of negative reinforcement!

A sweet spot to me is simply where you're losing weight well. It does not equal eating a stated amount of food, not being able to eat certain foods etc. It simply means without undue effort you lose steadily, even if slowly.

Yep! You're eating incorrectly, I think. I hit close to the sweet spot for me at 6.25 cc in March 2009...but with 1 1/2 months to go for nursing school, my senior year, and EVERYTHING INSANE!!!! I didn't have the patience or oomph to make sure I chewed well and took small bites (previous to that level I, like you, could eat ANYTHING, and I did!) The Doc unfilled me to 6.0. FF to May 7...finals over, graduated, Sigma Theta Tau, pressure OFF. I got 6.5 cc (had to cajole my doc) and I haven't felt that misery once. I've lost just at 27.9 pounds in the time since the 7th. I take small bites (about 2/3 to 1/2 my old size; not TINY) and I chew well. It's 2nd nature. I had to do it intentionally for the first 2-3 days; after that, learning occurred. Now I honestly am STILL working on my 8 oz well done ribeye from Sunday (I can eat it FINE but am full after about 2 oz) and once I've eaten, I am full for hours. It is like a miracle. Like someone flipped a switch in my brain. I am in less food-related pain than at any time before in my life; I am less controlled by food and hunger, I am "satiated" easily and the feeling stays. Nor does it ever hurt me to drink or swallow. It is amazing.

SO Work on your method...chew, small bites, etc..the rest will come. How I know I'm full is this: After each bite I think if I want another (easy because I'm not really ever very hungry) and if i do, I take another bite. I ALWAYS hit a point where I think...ok. One more bite and it's coming back up. No pain.....I'm just, done. I stop there. Wonderful.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Yep! You're eating incorrectly, I think. I hit close to the sweet spot for me at 6.25 cc in March 2009...but with 1 1/2 months to go for nursing school, my senior year, and EVERYTHING INSANE!!!! I didn't have the patience or oomph to make sure I chewed well and took small bites (previous to that level I, like you, could eat ANYTHING, and I did!) The Doc unfilled me to 6.0. FF to May 7...finals over, graduated, Sigma Theta Tau, pressure OFF. I got 6.5 cc (had to cajole my doc) and I haven't felt that misery once. I've lost just at 27.9 pounds in the time since the 7th. I take small bites (about 2/3 to 1/2 my old size; not TINY) and I chew well. It's 2nd nature. I had to do it intentionally for the first 2-3 days; after that, learning occurred. Now I honestly am STILL working on my 8 oz well done ribeye from Sunday (I can eat it FINE but am full after about 2 oz) and once I've eaten, I am full for hours. It is like a miracle. Like someone flipped a switch in my brain. I am in less food-related pain than at any time before in my life; I am less controlled by food and hunger, I am "satiated" easily and the feeling stays. Nor does it ever hurt me to drink or swallow. It is amazing.

SO Work on your method...chew, small bites, etc..the rest will come. How I know I'm full is this: After each bite I think if I want another (easy because I'm not really ever very hungry) and if i do, I take another bite. I ALWAYS hit a point where I think...ok. One more bite and it's coming back up. No pain.....I'm just, done. I stop there. Wonderful.

Ahhhhh, I really do need a fill!!!!! I'm dieting!!!

Ahhhhh, I really do need a fill!!!!! I'm dieting!!!

Oh, and congrats on reaching your sweet spot, your big fast sudden wt loss, and most of all your successful graduation!!!!!!!!!