Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still sore after 1 week

Hi everybody,I had lapband surgery may 26,(1 week ago) and for some reason the one area (under my left breast area incision) is very sore,not the incision, but it seems to go deeper,is this the area they used more, it kinda feels like they used my ribs to rest the laproscopic rod on and manuvered it back and forth and back and forth, I don't know, maybe it's me,I am a 42 yr.male being a whimp I guess. It hurts the worst when I get out of bed, thats the only time it really hurts, just wondering if anybody else had this problem?

Is that where your port is sewn?

I have 5 incisions, but only one that is sore, and that's where my port is. I think that one takes longer to heal because there is a THING there and it was stitched into place. The other incisions were just for instruments to go in.

Of course, I'm new to all this so maybe someone else knows better...

My guess is that it's gas. I found the gas pains to be more painful than the incision in the first week or so. Make sure you're walking several times every day for at least 20 minutes. That will help move the gas and lesson the chance of blood clots. It can also be hunger pains. I would mention it to your dr. at your follow up just to be sure. Congrats on your banding!

Thanks for the replies, I think my port is next to my belly button a little to the right, that has the longest incision, this pain that I have is kinda like a bruised rib, all the meat (or fat ) around the top of my rib is very sore, I mean it's nothing I can't tolerate but is the sorest of all the 5 incisions, just wondered. I see my doctor on friday and will bring it up then if it is still hurting, thanks to all, later, Scott..

I don't think anyone can truely appreciate the kind of maneuvering it takes to do a laprascopic surgery. There is a lot of manipulating and I'm not surprised you still have pain. Mention it to your doctor if you still have the pain..but I think this is pretty normal. I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you are doing. Good Luck:smile2:

I was banded on June 1st. I am still having a lot of pain and very sore. I have been sleeping in a chair and I need help standing up. I have had five other surgeries before and this is the worst so far. I am still taking my pain med every couples of hours.

It took me a good 2 weeks to be comfortable sleeping at night. 3 weeks out and i'm sleeping on my stomach and side with no problem. You'll get there. I've had 3 abdominal surgeries. the other 2 were "open" procedures and i found this one to be the easiest. If you are still in SEVERE pain after 7 days or so you should call your drs office. You will still be very sore all over for a while...but it should be tolerable in my opinion.

I had my surgery on June 2nd, I can deal with the pain pretty easy except the heart burn... man thats the killer for me :biggrin:

Edited by mrmani

I just got off a "panic" call with my dr. about this pain...I had surgery 5/29 and was doing great until midnight last night when I woke up with a sharp stabbing pain in my right ribcage. I assumed it was gas and did everything I could think of to alleviate it, but after 18 hours of real pain I called the dr. He said it is most likely the port (and maybe some stictches came loose) causing a flare up as it tries to attach itself to my insides. He reminded me there is a foreign body in there and this is fairly common. It hurts when I move to either side, take a deep breath, etc...He said to take pain meds, kids liquid Tylenol (anti-inflammatory) and warm compresses and call him tomorrow. Ouch!