Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so i am 25 (just barely) and want to get banded so bad i could cry! i meet the requirements as far as weight and other factors (i'm 5'6 nearly 250lbs, with depression and insullin resistance, etc) so its not a problem! Only... there is a problem! 2 of them actually!

1. Paying for the surgery... How did you all get the money to pay for the surgery? i don't know about other places, but here in idaho it will cost me 14,300.00 for the surgery, and i have no insurance (and horrible credit). So i'm just curious how the rest of you came up with the money???

2. My parents are not supportive which is bad for 2 reasons 1. i'm single mom and need my parents support to help me post op, and plus their opinion is just huge to me, so i want their support. 2. They could potentially get a loan or a care credit card to fund my surgery, so they are kinda my only option right now! But they just said i need to diet. like its that easy and simple. like they think i'm just lazy and unwilling to try. my response was "yeah, cause diets have worked so well so far" and they were like- "well you haven't really tried"... i have tried! and i can't do it!! not on my own atleast! how do i gain their support and how do i fund my surgery?

a couple quick things come to mind:

- shop around. even when you consider travel costs, you may be able to find it much cheaper....in fact i am sure of it.

-do you own a car or anything of value where you could qualify for a secured loan? bad credit is less of a factor for lines that are secured by some kind of valuable collateral.

- are you employable? work toward independace from your parents while at the same tme finding employment that offers quality healthcare benefits. You will have a grace period, but it's a start.

-is there another family member or friend that your parents trust that might see your side and help sit down and educate them? Maybe they need to hear it from another professional, older, adult.

I wish you the best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!

You can have it done in Mexico for relatively cheap. I paid $7,000 for mine in Mexicali and would do it again in a heartbeat. The care was excellent and they provide transportation from the airport to the hospital to your hotel (included in price) then back to hospital and back to the airport. Price also includes all fills. Something to think about anyway.:(

weight.png

Banded 4/17/09 w/ .08cc

First fill 5/30/09 1.6cc

I agree with kspeaker but I have another thing to add. Be patient. I started my journey back in early 2006, my insurance wouldn't cover it, it was 15,000.00 and my call center job just wouldn't allow me to pay cash for it. It took additional schooling, a career change and then waiting for enough vacation time to finally make it happen for me. That is over 3 years to make this a reality. I am sure it will happen for you as well just be patient and keep finding ways to make it happen.