Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I make the wrong choice?

Hi again. Its me the one with a million and one questions.

Ok Today is 2 weeks since banding and I have lost a grand total of 1 1/2 pounds... Yup you heard right. Don't you let the green eyed monster get you. You too could lose an entire 1 1/2 pounds.

What is that all about? I am so discouraged right now. I have been crying all day.

I know what you will all say. The first 6 weeks are for healing not for weight loss. But I am big. I mean big. I lost 10 pounds on the pre- op diet.

Did I make the wrong surgery choice?

I am just beside myself.

Thanks for listening to me again..

Amy

Well, you've already answered your own question, but really, you have to give yourself time. You lost weight on the preop diet, and they pumped TONS of liquids into you during your hospital stay, and I'm betting you had to lose that too. Give yourself time though. Your body is probably in shock from surgery, and all of our bodies handle that in different ways.

Feel better :)

Amy, Amy, Amy! If you have learned nothing else about banding, please try to believe this: it does not happen overnight. And that's GOOD!!!

You didn't gain weight overnight and you don't want to lose it that way. The band has not yet started teaching you new ways to eat, new ways to think about "enough" and new ways to relate to food. So how can it be working to help you lose weight?

The time to decide whether you've made the wrong decision is not now, before you've even started to explore this decision. Check this thread in six months; I have a pretty good guess your thinking may have changed a little. :)

Amy I was banded on 9/08/05 and I weighed in at 240 but left at 245. Whatever, they put in me blew me up 5 pounds. Stay focused and remember it does take time. Good luck!!

Yes, they do blow you up! Don't be discouraged! Listen to the experienced banders on this site. They are full of knowledge!!

Haygal from Texas

Banded 8-15-05

The thing is when you've had to do a pre op diet you've already done the fast weight loss bit before the surgery. By the time you're out of the op your body has done its completely normal slow down and hang onto a bit of weight thing. When you've done the preop liquid diet, the actual banding is not the start of the weight loss process, that's already come before.

And yes, you're completely choc full of fluids after an op like that.

Guest j. lynn

you've really lost 11.5 lbs. You have to count the "liquid/water weight" you lost pre-op cause that just would've come off right after surgery anyway.

Thanks again for coming to my rescue. I am feeling better. I will have my 2 week check up tomorrow. I hope it goes well...

Amy

Amy.....You might need to do what I have had to do...stay away from the scales! I had my surgery on 4/29/05 and I have stepped on the scales only 5 times. Once the day of surgery, my 2 week check up, my first fill, my second fill and one day last week when I was feeling rather light that day. I am doing really well with the weight loss but I know me well enough to know that I can't become a slave to my scales or I'll make myself crazy (well crazier any way). I don't know if this is a good or bad thing but I know from my Weight Watchers days of weekly weighins and nearly weekly disappoints that not weighing very often is my best course. Hang in there and good luck with this most amazing journey!

Amy girl we are Bandsisters and I know how you feel . Since I have started on mushies I have gained 3 lbs! I am no longer getting on the scale. I hate the scale. I will weigh when I have to ..like at dr's appointments and fills or whatever. I am trying not to weigh myself until the end of the fall challenge and nana's holiday challenge. The scale messes with your head. Beware the scale Demon!!

Aimze, you have no fill right?

Well If I remember correctly the band was designed ot work at it's best ability with fills. So since you have NO fill, it is quite norma lto have NO weight loss. Like Alex said, in 6 months once you have gotten a few fills, you wil lbe singing a different tune. They key is patience

Read this thread, it may help you some :)

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9148

Hang in there, you will get there you'll see, patience my friend, patience.

Thanks everyone.

I really do know all of these things it is just so hard not to compare myself to others. I Just want to be successful with the band..

But I am stepping away from the scale. Especially after what I was able to eat today... Yikes!

I will patiently await my first fill on Oct.21st.

Thanks to all of you wonderful banded people. Without you I would not know all of this usefull info. But most of all the support you all give is so helpful to me and I really appreciate each of you sharing your thoughts and knowlege with me..

Amy

But I am stepping away from the scale

Very wise decision, I only weigh once a week if that, the scale should not dictate your success or failures you will have many other successes with your band, just think of all of the other good things that have happend to you since your band. The scale should not dictate your moods, be happy, you have been blessed with a great tool to help you in your wieght loss efforts, and be patient. Patience is key!

Amy - please don't beat yourself up - it's still too early in the challenge for that. Give it the full six weeks and I'm quite sure you will see more weight loss. I know you know your body is still healing... Take care.

Hi again. Its me the one with a million and one questions.

Ok Today is 2 weeks since banding and I have lost a grand total of 1 1/2 pounds... Yup you heard right. Don't you let the green eyed monster get you. You too could lose an entire 1 1/2 pounds.

What is that all about? I am so discouraged right now. I have been crying all day.

I know what you will all say. The first 6 weeks are for healing not for weight loss. But I am big. I mean big. I lost 10 pounds on the pre- op diet.

Did I make the wrong surgery choice?

I am just beside myself.

Thanks for listening to me again..

Amy

Aimze this is life. Eveything that appears easy is not. You can exactly the same thing everyday and if you get on the scale all day long it says diffrent things. It goes down in the morning up in the afternoon, down a little later and up at bedtime. The scale is not everything. Ask Vines, she lost 3 pounds but lost a whole pant size.

Time is your friend.

I weigh more so I am suppose to lose quicker INITIALLY but now I stayed the same for a week then gained 2 pounds and now have lost 2 pounds. Stay motivated because no matte what it is not easy. Just find some joy while you are gonig through it. Maybe the dancing banana will make you smile. Look Down and Smile. We all love you here.