Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the deciding phase of having surgery- has anyone regretted having the surgery?

I have had weight issues my whole life and tired of trying diet after diet. I am 90% decided to have the lap band surgery but just curious if anyone regrets having had the surgery?

Not me! No problems, losing weight, glad I made this choice. Now, that doesn't cover the fact that post-op I had mu doubts. That time we call "bandster hell" will make you question your decision. You're healed and back on normal foods, have no restriction because you haven't gotten any fills and you feel like you can eat just like before surgery .. then, you may wonder why you did this (or, if you're self-pay, why you spent all that money). But once you start getting fills and move closer and closer to your "sweet spot", the doubts go away.

I think those doubts are quite normal....I mean it is surgery and nobody wants to go through surgery if they think they don't need it. I struggled with that question but I have pretty much put it to rest. I think the key words are "I have had weight issues my whole life and tired of trying diet after diet." Sounds like my story....and probably close to many of the peoples stories on this site. I could go on Jenny Craig or Nutri-System and lose weight I am sure...but I also know as soon as I went off of the program I would slowly start gaining backays happens to me...so I am hoping this surgery will help me lose AND help me keep it off! Good luck to you!

I had surgery on April 13, 2009. I just got my first fill on May 28, 2009 and am loving my band!! Not regrets no going back. I have lost 40 pounds and have never felt better.

My weight has also been lifelong as well. I had to do this for my health. I needed a drastic change and this was what it took.

I did go through bandster hell and than my emotions about my band were all over the place but I knew to expect that we all go through that.

I am losing weight again and have restriction now!

I have had weight issues my whole life and tired of trying diet after diet. I am 90% decided to have the lap band surgery but just curious if anyone regrets having had the surgery?

Nope, not a one....even on my more difficult days, the trip was sooo very worth the destination....do it and you won't have any regrets either. :)

I have no regrets. Sure, I have had some tough times - bandster hell and a couple of PB's. But all worth the 84 pounds I have lost.

Honestly, I wasn't even 100% sure I wanted the surgery and the ended up having it, I never actually made the decision that I wanted the surgery and then all of a sudden I was seeing the surgeon and signing the consent forms. But in saying that, I am glad I had the surgery, I never would have been able to loose the weight on my own and it's given me a reason to start being proactive in my life. I think alot of people second guess the decision about this kind of surgery which is normal, it's a life style change and any kind of surgery you really have to outweigh the risks with the benefits. Where do you think you're going to be in 5-10 years? If your answer is worse off than you are now then you know somewhat that this is the right thing for you.

I have never regretted it, not even for a moment. This is one of the very best decisions I've ever made, and the effort to work with my band (e.g. planning meals & some occasional mild discomfort) is nothing compared with how amazing I feel and how much better I look!

I had some doubts pre-op, so I made a pro/con list. (I actually blogged about this at the time -- feel free to take a look -- link below). I also spoke with a friend who said something that really hit home -- she said "Catherine, regardless of whether you get this surgery, you are either have to accept that you are going to be overweight OR make major changes in your lifestyle/eating habits."

I've been on enough diets to know that I don't have the stamina to stay on one for 7-8 months (which is how long I've been working with my band), much less to keep going after that point in order to keep off the weight. But, with the band, all of that feels so much easier.

I hope that this helps you in your own decision -- definitely make a pro/con list -- it's a huge help (I even brought mine to the hospital with me on surgery day, just in case I got cold feet)!

Catherine

Best thing I have done for myself so far!! Not totally pain or hassle free but so worth it. I am only 6 weeks out and only 40 pounds down out of 110 I needed to lose but if this is the best it gets and nothing more than it was already worth it. Anything extra is a huge bonus.

I have my life back in just the four months I have been working with the bariatric program.............

No regrets. This band is my new best friend. A friend that practices "tough love" on me, and lets me know who's boss when I attempt to stray. A friend that gives me a good case of the "slimes" when I am making a bad decision for myself...which I need because I don't have the ability/gumption/strength to just do what I need to on my own. I have named it, my friend, Da Band. :)

I think everyone has the pre-op doubts but I definitely have no regrets about my decision. Best thing I have done for myself! I would do it over in a second.

That time we call "bandster hell" will make you question your decision. What is "bandster hell"? Now I'm scared!

bandster hell is the time period after your surgery when you are starting to eat but have no restriction. You basically feel like you did before the surgery and feel like you can eat as much as before surgery, but really shouldn't --some people gain a bit of weight during this time.

Personally, I felt more in control after my first fill.

I postponed my surgery, I was more scared of the going under anesthesia and being in the hospital part of surgery. I'd not been in a hospital since 1966, so I was a bit apprehensive.

No regrets for me.

My suggestion to you, read read and read all you can. Not just this board--read all you can from as many sources as you can.

While you are doing that though, remember to take it all with a grain of salt and on some webpages they are trying to sell you something.

Good luck on your decision!