Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you able to lose weight before your first fill?

Post op, after you've begun really healing, are you able to lose weight?

Since there's no constriction of the band, I wasn't sure if just having a different, healthier (liquid) diet would help you lose weight, or does it just make you feel hungry all the time?

I get hunger headaches, and I would like to be prepared if I'm going to just sit around and be hungry for the first 2 weeks after surgery.

I promise I'm not trying to be negative, just want to be prepared!

You will still be working with your WILL POWER prior to 1st fill. That is where I am right now - I am 4 weeks post-op with no restriction.

Have been able to eat most things - and I do not get that full/stuffed feeling.

But don't just sit around to wait for the 1st fill. My surgeon told me from the 1st day of post-op that I need to MOVE my body.

Walking at first and then increase the activity more and more - putting in the sweat equity.

My weight loss has slowed down these last 2 1/2 weeks -- but working on getting moving more often and at a betting "sweat" --

I am set to get my first fill on June 10 (was banded on April 28).

Good Luck!!

This aint easy.

In the 4 weeks from surgery to my first fill, i gained and lost the same 4 pounds until a few days before the fill when I finally lost 2 pounds. But it getts better, I promise!

I lost until I was on mushies and then "real" food. Some do "diet"....I didn't. My loss has been slow but fairly easy. I can and have dieted; I dieted myself to 405 pounds. Diets don't work for everyone; they didn't for me. I became food obsessed. (When can I eat how MUCH can I eat what if I overeat OMG I'm up a pound is it fat is it Water? I'm HUNGRY) LOL I'm trying to totally change how I look at food, not think about it 24/7. And for me, diet = all food, all the time. I'm doing well now that I have restriction. I am in "diet mode" in that I don't buy junk food, and I don't let myself snack, but what I eat and when isn't weighed, counted, portioned, or so on. If I want some butter on my steamed veggies I use it. If I want a chick fil a I get it; I can only eat about 1/2 of one anyway. I don't choose that stuff all the time, but nothing is "off limits" as long as I'm not snacking. That works for me...dieting the "old" way may or may not work for you. But no, we don't really lose once we are on "real" food before we get good restriction (for me, fill #7) unless we "diet".

Hi, I'm 6 weeks post op, and I have lot about 20lbs to 23 lbs since the surgery. It flucates, I guess with Water intake and all. I was told to focus on healing and then the additional weight will come off, I go for my first fill on June 11th. I haven't been getting that restriction feeling for about the last 3 weeks, so I;m defintely ready for my first fill.. Can't wait.. But I have been exercising and trying to maintain the weight and I do get hunger pains, I've been able to control them the best that I can, but I have had some slip ups... I was banded on April 15th. I haven't lost any weight either for about 2 weeks now. But I'm not to worried about that right now being that I have no restriction at all.. Don't worry you will be fine.

Thanks, everyone, for all of the information. I'm one of those people that really likes to know what the future could hold, so this helps a lot.

And its good to know that (hopefully) I will be able to progress from walking to more "strenuous" exercise before my first fill. I kept having this vision of me stranded on the couch for weeks unable to move because I was in so much pain. So that's a relief!

Lots of us have easy quick recoveries. I had TWO surgeries in one month and recovered as quickly from the second as the first. In fact, my last surgery I had on Friday and was back in nursing school as a student that next Tuesday. I felt wonderful. No nausea, no need for prescription pain meds, slept on my stomach from the 2nd night (on my side the first night) etc etc. No gas pain to speak of (I think my doc is one of those that kindly removes most of it before he closes us up!) and so on. Hopefully you'll have such a fast recovery; no languishing on the couch! You need to walk walk walk! :)

I lost weight before my first fill, too. It was primarily in the first few weeks (pre-op diet & full liquids) and I plateaued in my last 2 weeks before my fill, but I was so paranoid about following the rules that I was keeping portions small and calories low.

For me, it was all about creating the right environment for healing, and less about the weight loss. My bariatric nurse had told me not to even worry about losing weight before the first fill, to just concentrate on healing -- but when have I ever in my life *not* thought about my weight? So I was very happy that following the rules for healing also resulted in weight loss.

Good luck!

Hi, I just got banded 3 days ago. I am having terrible headaches not due to caffene withdrawel. also my port seems to be too high. Is this usual?:)

I lost HEAPS of weight after my surgery, so much so that I didnt end up having my first fill until almost 12 weeks.

Hi there

I haven't had my surgery yet but my surgeon has told me not to expect any great results in the first month until I have my first fill - but if you can lose some weight, that's great.

MissK

Hi, I just got banded 3 days ago. I am having terrible headaches not due to caffene withdrawel. also my port seems to be too high. Is this usual?:)

Are you sure you're not dehydrated? Or maybe it's carb withdrawal?

At any rate, you should probably check in with the medical staff to be sure.

What makes you think the port is "too high"?