Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To Here

Guest Pegsinoz

Guest Pegsinoz

Hi -

First time here... I'm scheduled for surgery on 8 December.. excited, anxious, nervous.. all and more. Does anyone have any tips/advice?

Hi!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.It's so great to have hope finally at being a healthy size!!

The hardest part for me was waking up from the anestisia(This was my first ever surgery of any kind),my stomach hurt but i was so happy that

i just let myself fall asleep again.the next time i woke up i was in my room.I was up the same afternoon and walking.This is important because you have to get the trapped gas moving!

Slip on shoes and loose pants are a good idea.

books or something to occupy your time as well.

Good luck!!!!!

Chantal:p

Hi, pegs..

Welcome. As an Aussie, you are fortunate to have (mostly) far more experienced surgeons than we do here. (I've read about them on the OzBand boards.)

Is the procedure the same there as here? Mostly done with no more than an overnight stay? Tell us all about it! I know that Perth has active support groups, how about Melbourne?

Sue

Guest Pegsinoz

Thanks for the kind words. From what I have thus far learned.. and I have been researching this for over a year, our procedure is very similar to the states. I will be spending the night after the surgery, and unless I have any problems going home the next day.

I actually live outside Melbourne, and thus far I have found no support group close. I did ask my doctor and he said no one else had mentioned wanting to start one..... but I think I might try to start one... it's a long drive to Melbourne.

I did notice that someone mentioned a cost of $24,000 over there. The cost for mine, barring any unforseen problems, is $8000-$10,000. Now that is a good thing, and unusual because we always seem to pay more for things than you guys do.

I have read so much and this is absolutely the best website I have found. Limited ones here in Australia, unfortunately. At least I have not found any really good ones here.

Yeah and don't forget the conversion rates. Our $12,000-$30,000 CASH surgeries translate to $17,000-$42,000 in Aussie Dollars! Yikes!

Hi pegs,

Congrats on your surgery date. Mine is Dec 3rd :D

I know what your mean about no support groups close. I am traveling 4 hrs to my surgeon and have no LapBand support groups in my area. As far as I know, Im the only one in the Texas panhandle that is having this kind of WLS.

Thank God for websites like this. It has lots of great info!

Good Luck!

Bonnie

12/3/03

Dr Keith OKC OK

Almost a Bandie

:D