Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

psych eval -what to expect

Can any one tell me what to expect from the psych eval? I've got my demons but I have healed and choose to leave it in the past. I will however bring it to the surface if necessary for approval of this procedure .. is this the kind of thing they look to do??

SOS:confused:

I think it depends on the doctor?

I was so nervous about mine because I was afraid of what he was going to ask and what not. It went by really easy, didn't even last 10 minutes. My surgeon recommended him because he promotes the lapband.

He asked me how I felt when I went to a restaurant like if I felt insecure or what not.

History and other things I've tried (weight watchers, Atkins, etc).

Family history of alcohol/drug abuse and if I use either.

If I was ever sexually abused and stuff like that.

If anything we talked about where I go to school and how the dorms and everything is more than anything else. He was a really nice and friendly guy who said that I'd make a great candidate for it.

Each surgeon/psych visit is different. I had to do 200 of the MMPI questions, then about a 15-20 min "chat". Some only do the chat, some have 2-3 meetings. I think the big thing is to just be honest and you'll do fine!

Good luck.

I had to take a test prior, then talk to him he just said tell me about your self and as you talk he will ask questions and then based on that he might approved. it is to see if you will be able to handle the whole change and all. It can be intense at times.

I had to complete what seemed like a 500 question form that had questions like:

"Which statement best describes your feelings?"

a) I feel indifferent toward my family:bored:

:smile: I love and support my family:tt1:

c) I want to cut up my family with a chainsaw and eat their corpses:eek:

Then I had a 5 minute chat with the psychologist about sources of stress and coping.

It was a piece of cake.

Bryan

I had to take an intelligence test...and then a q & a test, and then we just chatted a bit. I think mainly they want to make sure that you are making an informed, and non-impulsive decision. My phyc also told me they want to make sure that if do have any kind of issues... eating disorders.... depression..etc..that they are addressed.

Nothing to be concerned about, really,....they won't ask you about your fetish for fuzzy slippers or anything...:)

BUT....the role they play is very, very important, and when I hear about these little 10 minute sessions, I get a little annoyed. They should be doing MORE.

I think we all know that a LARGE part of weight loss/gain is a MIND GAME. Self discipline. Self Control. Comfort Eating....etc.

It really does take a certain personality type for the Band (or any WLS) to be successful. And it's the job of the Psych to make sure that YOU are going to successfull at this, from an emotional standpoint.

So, I would listen very carefully to any questions they ask, and answer very truthfully. Don't just try and "get through it" so you can go on to getting the Band. You WANT to be successful in this process, so make sure you let the Psych people do THEIR jobs to the best of their ability. And I would seriously consider signing on for some weekly therapy both pre and post surgery to help you adjust mentally to this program. Because, if your HEAD is not in the RIGHT place for this, it won't matter what kind of device you have wrapped around your stomach.....you'll still fail.

Good luck!

HH

Then I had a 5 minute chat with the psychologist about sources of stress and coping.

It was a piece of cake.

Bryan

When I first read your post, I immediately put together the phrases "coping" and "cake". :) No big mystery how I got so overweight!

I just had my psych eval this last Wednesday. Basically, I had to take a written test of 350 questions. The questions focused on drugs and alcohol issues, self esteem, suicide etc. Then I had a 40 minute session with the psychologist. He asked me some medical history questions. Asked about my attempts at weight loss. He asked a lot of questions about my family. What kind of relationship I had with my mom, dad, siblings. Then asked about my relationship with my husband. What he thought of my wanting to have WLS. I was robbed at gunpoint at work several years ago so we discussed that. And it was only brought up because on my paperwork I had to disclose that I had been in therapy before.

The psychologist is part of the Scottsdale Bariatric Center. His job is to evaluate me to see if I am ready for any WLS or if I have any issues I need to deal with first. His other function is to help my surgeon determine which procedure would be most beneficial with my personality and medical concerns. It was decided by both my NP and the psychologist that I am a perfect band candidate. I think a major part of that is the fact I have done a lot of research (here and on my own) and I have a very realistic expectation.

I would say just be honest and don't worry about it!

I was worried about my psych eval, wondered what they were 'looking for'. It really wasn't bad. There was a questionnaire of 500 True/False statements (not really a test--as the Dr. told me they just want to make sure I don't believe the TV has secret messages only for me, stuff like that), more of a personality type questionnaire. Then I talked to the Dr. for about an hour, mostly same as the other replies. They just want to know that you know what you are getting into, what kind of support system you have, and really they don't want to prevent you from having the surgery, they want to help you recognize where you might need the most help to be successful. That's why it's so important to just tell the truth and be yourself. I'm sure they expect you to be nervous, who wouldn't be?