Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre and Post op care if surgery in Mexico

I have decided after years of thinking about it to have the Lap Band surgery! After going thru all of the emotions associated with this decision I found much to my disappointment and discouragement that my insurance will not cover the surgery. My only choice is self pay..and with the cost of surgery in the US, of course my only option is surgery in Mexico.

I am worried that I may not get the proper testing, counseling, follow up and after care by having the surgery done in Mexico. And what if I have a problem after I go home? Will I have trouble finding a Dr. in the US that will see me? I live in the Midwest and with having 6 children (2 in college) I will be doing absolutely all that I can financially to be able to scrape together the money for the surgery. Going back and forth to Mexico is not an option.

Can anyone give me some feedback on having the surgery done in Mexico and my concerns? Thanks!

I can't advise about surgery in Mexico. However, I can tell you that you are wise to line up post care before you go anywhere to have it done. Many surgeons will not treat people they didn't do the initial surgery on, and many more will treat only after exorbitant fees (I've seen some as high as 5K posted about on here).

That doesn't mean you CANT find someone but you'd be wise to find him/her before you go. If there is one thing I've learned since I got my band, it is this: the aftercare (fills and appointments, resource person for issues and questions) is as important as getting the band itself. The band may be less than useless if you don't have medical care post op. So call around, find out what you're facing, before you go (or plan to go back to Mexico for fills and other issues)

Realize too that you MAY find it locally with a package that initially may see much higher, but if they include fills (for a year or two at least) and "guarantee" your surgery (ie what if your port flips?) for a period, you may be better off to get it done closer to home.

I know someone who had surgery in Mexico. She had testing at the doctor's surgical center the day before surgery. Maybe you need to talk to the staff where you're going for a little reassurance and more details about what to expect. That's about all I know about it. She had GSV insetad of the abd specifically because she didn't want to worry about fills.

Hi Absolutstyle,

I was banded March 27th in Mexico. It was self- pay (LONNNNNGGG story there!), by Dr. Lopez. I was a little nervous, but checked out the hospital and was very comfortable. They picked me up from the airport, took me to the hospital, had the procedure, went to a FABULOUS (5 star might I add!) hotel connected (so I didnt even have to go outside the facilitiies).

I know this sounds like an ad, but what can I say, I am a happy bandster. On my 2nd fill June 19th! If you'd like some suggestions, you can personally message me: tanbabies@gmail.com

The surgery isnt the major thing (believe it or not), its the aftercare. With a little preparation, you'll be fine.