Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band replacement from smaller to larger band?

I was first banded in Feb 2005 with the 4cc band and lost 78 lbs. It was great and I made my target weight!! Then around summer 08 I started gaining weight back slowly but steadily. It was really frustrating since I had been working out and it was swimsuit time! I went in for a fill and did a barium swallow to find out that my band had slipped. I went in to see my surgeon about 2 weeks later and scheduled the replacement for 11/12/08.

I am so disappointed in this new band that holds 10cc. They said it's new and improved but they weight loss is slower. Let me tell you what! I gained another 20 lbs:thumbdown: after having the surgery and have just now begun to lose some of that excess weight! I'm just wondering if there are any others that have had their small band replaced with the new "improved" bigger one?

I don't think the 14cc band is "newer" or "better" than the 10cc band. It's just bigger. Usually, the doctor makes the decision on which one based on physical stuff. I really don't think having the larger band would make you lose weight any differently. It would seem like take you longer since it would take you longer to get to your sweet spot after you start all over from the beginning with the liquid stage and having fills to a larger band.

Well they claim that it's newer and better at this surgeons office because it has little nodules that help keep it from slipping as much as the older one. I actually have the 10cc now and had the 4cc before. It's just very frustrating to me since I had lost 78 lbs in less than 8 months with my old band. I'm still up 11 lbs from my last surgery date and workout 5 days a week.

I know with the band before I was told to do a lot of Protein Shakes and with this one they are saying to eat more solid Protein. It's a hard transition when you've been in routine of something for 4 years.

I was under the impression that the 10cc and 14cc were the same except for the capacity ("scalloped" saline filled band not making 100% contact with the stomach versus the old smooth version that was 4ccs). I'm pretty sure they were made available to surgeons at the same time so I don't think one would be "outdated" and the other one not. Perhaps the Lap Band website would offer more info? Allergan/Inamed is the manufacturer of the 10cc and 14cc bands.

I guess I would have to wonder if you feel like you are at your sweet spot. No matter what size band you have, being at the right fill level for you should make a difference.

Does it feel like you have good restriction? If not, you need another fill. If so, the next step might be to look at what you are eating and to start charting your calorie/protein intake daily so that you can analyze it.

I understand what you are saying. My husband has the older band that holds 4cc. He got it in February of last year. He felt immediate restriction. I got the new, improved 10cc band in May of last year. It had 2cc in at surgery time, went back a month after that for another 2cc, then another month later 1 more cc, then I finally felt some restriction. It has been very hard to find my sweet spot. I'll be almost there, then I get too tight. I can't find that sweet middle ground.

I think, from the little I've read, that yes the AP (advanced platform) Lap bands, small (holds 10cc) and large (holds 14cc) are supposed to be safer. Less slips, less erosion. Less issues. And because they are sized so that docs have a choice which to install, they can be more "custom fitted" to the patient. Because they are reporting issues with aggressive fills (too tight too quickly) like esophageal spasms etc, some docs consider a slow steady conservative approach to be more healthy. It's not a race and long term weight loss is the goal.

I'm not a pro here but that's what my doc and my limited internet reading have brought up for me. So the OP who had a slip with her first band doesn't run as much risk of that with her new one. The old ones are still used, although more widely in Mexico than here in the states, and are safe and useful, but the "new ones" are supposedly safer long term.

Remember though, if you HAVE an old one, that safer is relative....we're taking 1-2% of all "bandsters". They all will do the trick.

I am journaling my food and excercise on self.com, it's free and easy. Since I've had a band for over 4 yrs now, I've got all the eating habits down. I do occasionally eat something sweet but not on a daily occurance. Maybe I'm just stressing out too much about it. I'm not trying to lose in in record time but I surely didn't expect to have gained weight after having it replaced. I guess you have to have had the replacement surgery to know how it feels because it's definately not the same this go around. I had maintained my weight loss for almost 3yrs.

I do feel restriction after eating a few bites of food but then I'm hungry again in 20 minutes. I will keep on trucking though, journaling my food and working out since I know it's bound to pay off. Guess, I just expected to have 15-20 lbs off since my surgery date. Not to have gained! I only really need to lose 18 lbs to be in my weight range so I guess I shouldn't be complaining too much.

My husband and I are planning on getting pregnant this summer so I'm not going to let it stop me.

HeatherO-Congratuations on your upcoming bundle of joy, how exciting. I may have to get with you later about the pregnancy experience with the band.

JRFAN88-looks like we are in the exact same boat and at the same weight loss and goal too. Good luck with your success!

how do you know if your band has slipped

I knew mine had slipped because I was getting sick a lot. Mainly in the middle of the night with acid reflux. I would get acid reflux from eating anything. I went to the dr and he had me do a barium swallow.

The doctors didn't tell me why they thought it slipped but I also feel mine was from night-time reflux & a lot of night-time coughing. If anyone takes any advice from me it would be not to put up with reflux & that coughing. It should not be a normal part of banded life.