Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 5/5/09-bandster hell

Hey, all. I've been skulking around for a couple of weeks and thought I'd finally register since I'm officially in bandster hell. :blush:

Lost 10lbs pre-surgery on liquids.< /p>

Lost another 15 post op but have begun to gain back. I bought a scale last night and it looks like I've gained maybe 5lbs. Bummed out about it but reading other posts from knowledgable members really helps. My 20th h.s. reunion is June 27 and I won't be as think as I'd like, of course. :blush:

Kinda dumb to be so vain I guess but oh well!

My first fill is June 10-two weeks and it seems like forever!

Any advice on getting through bandster hell and feeling like a pig would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Jenny

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you weighed on a different scale, it could be a big difference from your doctors scale. My dr moved offices and his new scales is 5 lbs heavier. The exact same kind that the hospital has for our support meetings weighs right. We always tell him to take the hospitals to his office.

jazie

Thanks, Jazie. That's what my friend told me too. Still, it kills me that I'm gaining weight. ARRGh. But you know what? I'm just gonna buck up and take your advice and not be too hard on myself. It's a journey, right?!!

"The only way to succeed is always to try just one more time"

Thomas Edison

Thanks!

Jenny

The same thing happened to me... fabulous weight loss on the pre-op diet and the few weeks post-op when everything was still too "shocked" to feel hunger, but with no restriction and the hungry feelings coming back, the weight started to creep back up. It's also frustrating to go to WLS support group where >75% of the members had gastric bypass and are reporting 40 lb. lost in the first month. I know intellectually that I had excellent reasons for choosing the band over bypass, but emotionally that's rough.

But on to the good news!!! I had my first fill, and it's a whole new world. I'm back to forgetting about hunger, and I lost 3 lbs. this week, even with attending a convention out of town all weekend and having to eat out every meal. I was very nervous about my fill, almost as nervous as I was about surgery, but it went great -- I did it over my lunch hour and went back to work with no problems afterward. I've gotten good restriction as far as feeling full and staying satisfied, but no blockages or PB's so far.

So there is a light... just hang in there!

Good luck!

I'm not banded (still in the early 'research' phase), but my dad is (at age 74). He just got banded last week. He says he's still hungry, but has lost 16 pounds altogether (pre- and post-op). I'm not eager to enter that "hunger" phase after surgery, because one of the main reasons I'm interested in this tool is because I want to have the hunger stop. I've dieted myself into obesity, and it's the constant hunger that takes such a mental (and ultimately physical) toll.

But I'm proud of my dad. If he can follow the doctor's orders, I suppose I can too! (I'm 53, by the way.)

I'm not banded (still in the early 'research' phase), but my dad is (at age 74). He just got banded last week. He says he's still hungry, but has lost 16 pounds altogether (pre- and post-op). I'm not eager to enter that "hunger" phase after surgery, because one of the main reasons I'm interested in this tool is because I want to have the hunger stop. I've dieted myself into obesity, and it's the constant hunger that takes such a mental (and ultimately physical) toll.

But I'm proud of my dad. If he can follow the doctor's orders, I suppose I can too! (I'm 53, by the way.)

If the idea of taking the "hunger" sensation away is what you are looking to get, you might want to think about the sleeve instead of the band. I have heard from people that have had the sleeve done, that they cut off the part of your stomach that creates the hormone that tells your brain that you are hungry. I dont recall the name of this specific hormone, but it starts with a G. I think that even with the band you get hungry, you just cant eat as much, and you have to learn the proper things to eat and stock up on Protein. This is really just an FYI. It's kind of sounding like a lecture ha? LOL .. but that Is what I have heard ... good luck

Nope. Sorry. The "sleeve" is not an option.

From what I understand about the band, the type of hunger I'm looking to be free from is the one that is triggered by the "full" feeling.

Forgot to add: thanks, though, for the advice. I'm just not a fan of any sort of bypass or sleeve surgery.

Edited by TopTier
add more info

Thanks, FangDoc. Your supportive words helped me a lot! I just weighed myself this morning and it looks like I've only gained back about 3lbs so that makes me feel better.

Yay yay yay for you!! You're getting back on track with your first fill. You go Fang!!! Soon that ticker will be going down down down. :-D

Thanks again and have a great day!!

I was banded on April 13, 2009.

I lost 25 pounds in the four months pre op on Kaisers diet.

AFter surgery I went down 12 pounds the first two weeks. Than went up and down 3-4 pounds the last four weeks until my first fill. Very frustrating for sure.

I got my first fill on 5/28/09 and I have lost three pounds already. I am not hungry and I can only eat 1/4 a cup........I know this now because I have had several episodes with PBin in the last few day!! :-) Now I know I am back to 1/4 cup...............and losing again.

I also got discourage with the RNY group and the fast lost. I wanted that too without al lthe side effects!! LOL.

But hold on it gets better

I am scheduled to have my surgery June 8th. My doctor's office requires us to go through a 'nutrition class' that explains how our diet should change after the lap band and what to do to make the liver as healthy as possible before the surgery.

I was told that there would be weight loss the first 10 - 14 days after surgery, due to swelling. However, once the swelling goes down, I was told to expect some weight gain and not to let it get me down. One the fills start, the weight gain will start to slow and weight loss will begin once restriction begins to be felt. I was also told I wouldn't feel as restricted via fills as I will from the swelling.

They also made a point of telling us that we are responsible for our weight loss. The lap band won't negate the calories in pizza and ice cream, LOL! I'm not saying that your weigh gain is due to improper dieting. It's most likely from the swelling going away.

Good luck and don't try to beat the numbers on the scale. I limit myself to one weigh a week. If I weigh myself more, I try to beat the scale and end up sabotaging myself ... not good.