Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want the good and the bad

Thanks Delarla,

I live about 20 min from T.J. I just got off the phone with the nutritionist, she has seen slippage from people having the flu and Throwing up. ( is that the same as PB or BP ? ) When I get the stomach flu watch out, I will have to call and see if something can be done or added prior to surgary, One port free fix or one free slip fix. I dont know. If I can switch to a PPO I will be just fine here in San Diego.

Thanks

Matt

P.S I checked out your slumber party site ( ouchhhhhhhhh );)

Matt, throwing up is much different than a PB. A PB happens before the food gets to the stomach (it gets trapped above the pouch and comes back up with slime.) Too much PBing does cause stress and should be avoided, but vomitting is much worse.

Throwing up happens after the food has passed through the band and is sitting inside your pouch. If you get sick and throw up, the food has to pass upward passed the band, through the tiny opening.

I hope I'm right about this because no doctor ever explained it that way, it's just coming from personal experience. Many bandsters ask for a prescription of a suppository that you can use if the stomach flu hits you. I'm not sure what it is, but I think I've seen this topic. Try doing a search.

Good luck, now post your avatar so we can really talk!

Matt, an avatar is the cute pic you see of our darling faces. Go to USER CD at the top left, then click on "change avatar." You'll have an option to browse your computer for a picture. But you have to shrink it first to smaller than 50x50 pixels. Those that know me are cracking up now because I act like I know what I'm talking about.

Matt,

why not switch to your ppo? You might have to wait until enrollment time, but the money you would save would be well worth the few months wait!

Hi Patty rn,

I am working on that. I e-mailed today and am waiting for a response. I would love to save the $$$$. I will let you know what happend on this thread as soon as i find out. Hay Patty are you really a RN.

Pam and Darla,

Thank you so much for your insite to this hugh decision. So, so helpful. Knowing the good and bad is the only way I will be able to decide weather or not to go through with this.

Thanks again!

Yes Matt, I am. I work in a very busy ER in Kansas City,MO

Great job, but I know I will breath alot easier after I lose some of this excess!

I didn't ask my regular doc. I feel like it's my body, so it's my decision. I didn't tell her for several months after the fact when she noticed I'd lost a lot of weight. She was surprised but what could she say except good for you?

Hi Pam,

My family doc says dont get the band. What does your regular doc's say about it.

My family doctor scares me lol (she's a great doctor, but very opinionated), so I waited til she was away on holidays to ask for a referral to a surgeon and her associate gave it to me gladly.

After the surgery, when I went for a check up with my family doc, she had seen the note in my chart and commented on my weightloss. Much to my surprise, she was really excited for me and was glad to have a good surgeon to refer future patients to for lap banding.

I've got to ask her next week for a referral to a plastic surgeon (for tummy tuck/boob lift), so I'm interested to see her reaction to that. But I'm not scared this time heh.

Matt, doctors are people too, with just as many biases, hangups, and personal experience stories as anyone else. Unless your personal doctor knows that YOU PERSONALLY have some health condition, an extreme eating or behavioral disorder, or simply will not be able to live with the modifications the band forces us to make, I can't imagine any medically sound reason to recommend against the band. Do you have any specific medical conditions that would contraindicate banding? If so, your doctor may be right.

But if you're severely obese and NEED a tool to help you (force you) to eat less, the band is a safe and sane way to do it. Complications do happen, but when they do they're relatively minor and easily repaired. I'd be very interested to hear why your doctor thinks it's not a good idea.

Matt, my personal doc cried when I asked for a Gastric Bypass referral. That's when I started finding out about the band. She had never heard of it, so I've gotten her up to date. She's thrilled now because my blood pressure is normal and I'm no longer borderline diabetes. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

Good

Wearing clothes that didn't fit before

Stopping eating before I am stuffed

Knowing that I have a tool to stop me if I start gaining the weight back

Feel better about myself, fitting in the airplane seat

Some foods don't work anymore

Bad

When I want to pig out and can't

Lack of desire to cook since I don't eat enough to make it feel productive :D

Loss is slow

Some foods don't work anymore

Ugly

Slimes

PBs

When my pants won't stay up

I was a self-pay (re-financed the house) and am glad I did it. I have a local dr.