Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want the good and the bad

Once again you all, THANKS for you honesty. However, I do have a question...the band does not suppress the hunger? Why would some lose a pound and others 50lbs in the same amount of time?

We are all different with different genes, etc for one thing. You can take two people who are eating the same calories and find they lose different.....one person might be eating mostly carbs and the other mostly Protein, one person (thinking female here, of course) could still be menstrating and another could be in the throws of menopause, one person could be execising and the other person not execising, one person could be eating most of their calories in the evening right before bed and the other person could be eating 3 balanced meals, so and so.....

So far as the band suppressing your hunger? Well, I don't think it's the band, but my hunger seems to be in check now. I believe it's because I am eating mostly Protein instead of empty calories.

What the band does is.....makes you fill up faster and stay that way for longer than without the band. So, typically, by the time you are truly hunger, it's time to eat a meal!!!

Good Luck......

Hunger suppression is one of the ways the band helps us control our intake; physical restriction is another. I know that recently when I had a total unfill, I noticed the lessened restriction immediately. However, it took several days (a week?) for me to be aware of another change, that I was definitely hungry sooner after eating than I had been while my band was full.

The early days of banding are the hardest, because for most of us hunger is more in our brain than in our stomachs. And it takes TIME for the band to work its magic on our brains. Before banding, I'd just get a whiff of some good smell and the thought "I'm hungry" would pop up even if I'd just eaten. NOW, though, I can actually have a rumbling stomach sometimes and I can still not really want to eat. That tells me that it's not only a physical effect that the band has on my stomach; it's really put a damper on the impulse mechanism that always governed my behavior in the past.

But this didn't happen overnight, and maybe not everyone has the same experience. I'm more than two years out and only really became aware of it recently.

This is interesting - because I think the thing for me will be the physical restriction - so that when that head hunger is undeniable I wont be able to eat like I can now. Because when you're in that mood you really do tend to eat till you're physically stuffed. Hopefully physically stuffed will = in pain or sick in the future and it will happen on much much less food.

Hunger itself for me has never been a problem. I dont get overly hungry of course because now I eat plenty but I dont find it hard to resist physical hunger, its the head hunger that's difficult.

I keep having doubts that the band will help me in that regard.

Wanting to eat until we're stuffed is something we can all relate to. And in fact, it really is one of the hardest things to internalize after banding--that being "stuffed" is not possible anymore and there is a whole new way to feel full and satisfied. But it's by no means impossible, and after a while it's really liberating!

Head hunger does go away, finally, because behavior modification does work. It's a tried-and-true method for changing addictions and phobias. When you discover often enough that you just CAN'T eat until you're stuffed, eventually the desire goes away. The same effect simply cannot be achieved, physically, and your subconscious eventually will get with that program.

It works! Just not overnight. And there are some frustrating times along the road. But I wouldn't change a thing, it's been a major blessing in my life.

That's reassuring - this seems to be my sticking point when trying to explain my decision to do this, everybody just says "well the band won't help that" and I have trouble explaining why it will.

For me the band is hope. I couldn't seem to get the steam that hope brings in my diets and weight loss attempts.

I'm not certain that the band has given me as much restriction, as it has hope.

Mommy, I'm happy with my band, and I don't regret it. However, I might decide to have it removed some day. You asked for honesty, so here goes. Most people only post about positive experiences. People are often afraid to post negative statements about their experiences or doctors in fear that they won't get further care, and for other reasons, such as simply not wanting to pooh on the parade.

The problem with my band is the lack of aftercare. I wasn't able to afford a band in the United States, so I went to Mexico. I've had many complications and ended up having 3 additional major surgeries as well as several local urgent care surgeries. The amount added up to an overwhelming sum.

Seems to me that the people who love their bands are the ones that are close to their doctors, or that have insurance that cover both the surgery and the aftercare. It's always going to be a gamble, but you're doing the right thing by gathering all the information up front.

If I had a local doctor, this might have been a more positive response.

Good luck with your decision. One thing you already have on your side is this site. I would hate to see anyone even thinking about the band without joining lapbandtalk.com first. There are other boards, but there's no place like home, and here you are.

I have been one of the extremely lucky ones with banding. I too went to TJ Mexico, and had a french midband placed. I was given a 6cc fill at surgery to fit the band on my "small" stomach, and have not needed additional fill since. So far no complications for me. My first bandiversary is coming up on Sept 21. To date I have lost 83 pounds. That's the good part.

For me the band is an annoyance because it's fickle. Some days I am tight and can barely eat or drink, on other days not so tight, and can eat well (with-in reason), though not too much.

The problem with that is on days when there is some sort of a celebration with food, a holiday, or family gathering. When I'd like to be able to eat better, I often can't, maybe one or two bites and I'm uncomfortable...sometimes too uncomfortable...the dreadful sliming/pb routine.

Sometimes I'm genuinely hungry, and same thing... a few bites followed by the slimey/ropey saliva, and discomfort or even a PB. I HATE THAT PART!

The main issue is the fact that I never know how I'll do until I try to eat. I don't have a warning sign or predetermining factor that tells me what to expect.

I have learned that on a reasonable banding day, eating Breakfast for me requires being up for 4 or 5 hours first, and I have about a 6 or 7 hour window before I tighten up again.

On a not so reasonable day, it's a bite or 2 at a time, maybe an hour apart... certainly takes a long time to clean a small plate of small servings like that... & my meals are usually cold...

Having said that, I wore a bikini this summer for the first time in many years. I am getting noticed, flirted with, and looks of appreciation, both from strangers, and most importantly, my husband...

The good DEFINITELY out weighs the bad!

Good Luck to you in your research, finding this community helped seal the deal for me. You won't find a great support group than right here.

Wow, Pam. I dig that kind of honesty. Makes me want to torture myself with yet another port replacement and keep my band afterall. Thanks for that.

I'm not certain that the band has given me as much restriction, as it has hope.

You know I was thinking about that and really, if the entire benefit was psychological, that's just as good really, isnt it?

Physiologically, you eat less, you'll lose weight. It doesnt matter whether that comes from physical restriction or the motivation brought about by the true expectation of success.

Pam and delarla,

Thank you so much for your honest opinion. It will help me with my decision.

Delarla, how many ports have you gone through, and why do you think it is happening?

Thanks

Matt

Matt, my original port never healed from surgery and became badly infected, so I had a second surgery to remove it. Eight months later the port was replaced, but the doctor should never have put a new port through the old wound, because there were trace bacteria deposits that infected the new port. So I had another surgery to remove the 2nd port. Now I'm portless and trying to just through the year before even thinking about another surgery.

Your kidding right! Iam scheduled for mexico this month. Did you get yours in mexico? Or is it a Doctor mistake ? What is your opinion. I cant afford to have a 2nd sugary if I go through this one.

If you can't afford a second surgery, you might want think about this some more before leaving for Mexico. It's a gamble no matter what doctor or country you chose. Yes, I went to Mexico, but who's to blame for my infection? The fact is, a percentage of us will have complications that cost us extra money. I certainly didn't expect it, and the complications financially devastated me (I'm working 2 jobs now pulling myself out of the mess.)

I'm not the only one that had to go back to Mexico. You might have to rush back for an emergency unfill, or a port revision. If you live close to TJ, you have a great advantage. In the US, fees are fees. In Mexico, the doctors might "work with you" in special financial situations. You might have to stay an extra night or miss a flight. Be prepared for anything.

Call your doc and discuss these concerns. Don't let me scare you because lots of people fly through this with no complications. Keep reading. Making an informed decision is the safest and smartest thing you can do.