Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How bad is the pain post surgery?

I'm in the process right now of getting some nutritional classes for the lap band, which I so desperately need :w00t:.. I'm very scared about the pain after the surgery :wink2:, can you please give me your opinion for those who had it? I would really appreciate it!! Please score from 1-10 1-being the least amount of pain, and 10-the worst pain ever!! Thanx!!!

I am 3 days post op.. Pain is not so bad, day 1 you are still kinda numb..(your belly) if you have pain med take them!!! Day 2 is more of a pulled muscle kind of soreness remember that each person perceives pain differently so that my not so bad may be your really owie!! ON A scale OF 1-10 .. DAY 1POST OP,5 DAY 2 POST OP 3 DAY 3 POST OP 2

for me not bad, I flew to VA. from Mexico 2 days after surgery by myself and was up and walking the night of surgery. worst was soarness around port. You'll be fine. Good luck!

For me it wasn't so much the pain as it was the discomfort. You are very uncomfortable from the gas. Your stomach is uncomfortable because of your incisions. You will be that way for about 3 days before you start to feel much better.

Be more worried about gas pains than anything. my doc gave me leiguid loritab and I neve even took it. Shame to waster such killer stuff. I was out of the hospital the day of my surgery at noon. They shot me up with numbing stuff pretty good so that was no prob.

I went to my post op the next morning, and I just felt like I did a shitton of situps. Pain was nothing, just sore. I was banded monday, drove home tuesday, and was back to work on wednesday. Easy as pie. I was sore, again, felt like a ton of situps, for about a week and that was it.

I need to get two teeth pulled, and I would rather be banded again.

I am three days post op and feel great. I actually went back to work 2 days post op. I was really tired at the end of the day, but that was about it. The incision sites are still very sore, but more like a great workout sore. I have four incision sites, and they look really good. I would have to deny any pain at all. Just really sore. I used my Loritab the first night to help sleep because I was really sore after a three hour drive right after surgery. I know that I have a high pain tolerance, but yesterday I even sweeped and moped the floors, dusted and did laundry. Good luck. Gas pains do get alittle irritating. I just take Gas X and walk when I feel them or force myself to burp and it's better. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Well when i woke up from surgery they said how much pain are you in, i said 7. They released me and i was great i even walked on the treadmil at 1.0 lol.

But then i went to bed.... I did take the pain meds every four hours, and i loved my hot heart massager and my heating pad. The second day to me was the worst, and i didnt have gas pain. Just muscle pain.

It got better every day after though.

My doctor told me to take the liquid lortab regardless of whether I was in pain or not and I did...it helps you sleep better so you can regain strength. Extra strength Gas X Strips are a must have! I bought the biggest box I could find and took it at the max dose until they were gone. THe only time I had pain from anything was when I forgot to take the gas x on time. Keep taking the strips until they are gone (several days) and you'll be fine. I only used half of the pain meds though...

Liquid Tylenol also works good afte the 3rd or 4th day if you're not wanting the cloudy feeling the lortab will give you (it makes you want to sleep)

I had surgery on Wednesday, slept nonstop for two days except for meds and walking and went back to work the following Monday without issues.

I do recommend not trying anything more than straight liquid after surgery for at least 3 days. I tried cream of wheat and it hurt like hell. I chewed up about 5 papaya enzyme tabs and it finally went away so I'd highly recommend having some of these on hand as well (get them at GNC)

I just thought of a few more things someone told me ahead of time that really helped. Bring a pillow in the car so you can hug it...it helps you stay in one place on the ride home. Otherwise when you move it feels like you just did 400 crunches.

Also, I was told by a friend who went before me on the lap band path to pick up some Clorhexidine soap from Walgreens and start using it 7 days ahead of time. Use it all over your abdomen, chest, and front of your legs to kills bad bacteria. Continue using around your bandages on a daily basis and again when your bandages come off. IT will ensure you do not get infection in the surgical sites. IT comes in a green bottle and might go by another name but when you look at the label it will say Clorhexidine or similar. IT is red liquid.< /p>

You might also want some cloraseptic spray or sore throat lozenges for after surgery (from the tube in your throat). I didn't have a problem with this but I was sooooo thirsty when I woke up. It felt like I had swallowed sawdust.

Slippers for walking after surgery that are easy to get on and off are a blessing and also clothes that are easy to slip on and off...you will not want to be bending or working to get dressed. All in all, it was a memorable experience but not in a bad way because I was prepared. I hope your experience is as good as mine was!

I got banded on 5/21

I stopped taking the liquid pain medication Friday night. I took my last Tylenol dose last night but will probably take another before I go to bed.

I'm not being brave I don't hurt.

I do have some discomfort from time to time, but nothing that GasX doesn't fix.

I've also walked on my treadmill 30 minutes each day which I think helped.