Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had Megaesophagus?

Well, I went to the Dr. on Thursday because I got some chinese food stuck the day before and had pain when bringing it up and thought, it's a holiday weekend and I better go see if I slipped my band, I had an upper GI and it showed I had megaesophagus. The Dr. unfilled me and told me to only eat 6oz of very soft food at a time for the next two weeks. I am so afraid that it will not go back to normal....

Has anyone had this happen to them? I can't find very much info online on humans, only on animals having this condition.

I'm trying to figure out the symptoms of megaesophagus?

I have this pain occasionally, if over eating slips up on me. Meaning if I'm not paying attention and then realize I'm having the over full sensation. My pain will be under my left breast/rib area. I also battle IBS that gives me pain in my transverse colon which is about the same area. But I don't understand, if it's my IBS how my transverse colon could bother me immediately after eating. For the last year and half, we've tweeked my band alot, fill/unfill/fill. I now have restriction that I can work with, but I have to really pay attention to my portion/intake. Does anybody know which way the esophagus would lay if overextended?

Anybody experience anything like this and could it be megaesophagus? Thanks for any input.

Oh, another note, I don't reflux or get stuck.

Try looking up espihgeal dilitation. My first surgeon kept having me rest my esophagus with unfills, refill, etc. I can't begin to tell you how sick I am of vomiting. After 19 months, I asked to see his doc who ordered a Upper GI. Fortunately, my esophagus is fine, but the repaired hiatal hernia is back. I face surgery again & another band.

I wish you luck. What little I found sounded like resting an esophagus rarely resolves the problem.

Try looking up espihgeal dilitation. My first surgeon kept having me rest my esophagus with unfills' date=' refill, etc. I can't begin to tell you how sick I am of vomiting. After 19 months, I asked to see his doc who ordered a Upper GI. Fortunately, my esophagus is fine, but the repaired hiatal hernia is back. I face surgery again & another band.

I wish you luck. What little I found sounded like resting an esophagus rarely resolves the problem.[/quote']

Oops, that sound have said his partner as a consult for a second opinion.

Thanks, there's not much info on it and couldn't find any pictures. Guess I'll quit worrying and just really watch my intake.

It is a stretched out esophagus and yes it will go down. But you will need to find a way to change the behavior that caused you to eat more than your pouch could hold and stuff food into the lower esophagus...

Thanks xavier. I know what it is and how it develops. I just can't find anything that tells what the symptons are, other that people, on here, saying they throw up, ya know!