Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some people say they are hungry after surgery, and some say they are not. For those that say you are hungry, are you unable to eat or drink enough to satisfy that hunger? I am thinking that even before you first fill there must be some restriction anyways, right? Does the small amount of liquid diet you start with not enough to slay the hunger? Or do you feel you can’t eat anymore but am still hungry?

I am 6 days away from surgery. I am just wondering how the hunger thing is dealt with before the first fill? It doesn’t really matter, I am doing this crazy thing anyways but I am puzzled about the hungry thing after surgery and before the first fill.

The first few days after surgery, you have quite a bit of swelling at the band site and probably won't experience any hunger. It's that period starting with when you start feeling pretty normal but have no restriction at all because you haven't started getting fills -- the time we call bandster hell -- that it's difficult. You can eat pretty much any food without problem but you know you are supposed to try to stick the the eating plan. I felt like it was strictly "white knuckle" time for me. Now, I have plenty of restriction, believe I'm at my sweet spot in fact and all of that seems a long time ago instead of just mid-March!

I came to in recovery HUNGRY. I stayed hungry pretty much until I was on full liquids and had some blended Split Pea Soup. It was WONDERFUL! LOL I've struggled with hunger (with hunger often winning) until my last fill. NOW I know what a wonderful miraculous thing restriction is. It's taken me longer than I thought or hoped, but I'm finally there.

The initial few weeks of being hungry are nothing in the vast scheme of things. Afterward you may diet (I chose not too...and so didn't lose) and be hungry. Once you're filled it all goes away. My doc is conservative with fills and between that and my status as a student (read too much stress and not enough time), my fill curve was longer than most. Just realize the first fill may not, and in fact probably won't, do much for you hunger wise. It's a process, this road you're on. Very worth it, but a process.

I just got banded on May 12th and I can tell you a little about my experience. I was not in the least bit hungry for a couple of days after surgery. The first day or so it was a struggle for me to get in enough liquids, never mind food. (Make sure you drink lots because if you don't the Constipation is awfull! I have also been putting Benefiber, which is flavourless, in my drinks to help with that.)

When I did start to feel hunger it was weird. I felt almost nauseated because I was so hungry and once I had some broth or whatever it went away. I figured out that was the new feeling of hunger for me and I started eating something right away when I first felt it. Hot liquids were surprisingly satisfying and took away hunger. As I progressed to cream Soups, apple sauces, and puddings the old feeling of hunger returned. It takes very little for me to feel satisfied and my dietician reccommended that I have six small meals a day and that has been working well. A meal is maybe a cup of cream Soup or a Carnation Breakfast. I feel now like I'm wanting more and am going to get adventurous and try some mushies today. Here's hoping it goes down!

Don't worry about feeling hungry. I thought I would have a problem but it hasn't been the struggle I thought it would be. You will do great!

Cathy!

Thanks so much for your input!

I'm in my 5 week post op and have been worried that i was very hungry in my 2/3 week. I wondered why i could drink more Water and eat more food but yet limited but not like when I first got banded. So, since the swelling has gone down the band just sits there around my stoma like a loose ring on your finger just waiting for a fill. Did I get that right?

My first fill will be day after Memorial Day and that will be bandster hell? just almost like when I first got banded?

I'm ready to get this going. I do have some restriction and I keep that in mind and remember that this is only a tool to help me eat less and make wiser decisions about the foods I do eat. :thumbup:

Abby-Dallas

Banded 04/16/09

273/253/143

I'm four days post-op. I am fine during the day with my juice and broth but around 6PM the ole hunger comes back. It is weird because I am hungry but don't want to eat all at the same time. But I am hungry.

Pangaeus,

Just stick it out and be strong. Right after surgery is the most important time. Try drinking more Protein. It helps the lion hunger.