Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy Fill Experience VG band

Guest Miranda75

Guest Miranda75

Today 9-9-05 i went in for my second fill because my first fill was not restricitve at all. He actually had a harder time hitting my port this time . I have a VG band and my port is kinda under my left breast close to sternum area. A week previously the doc put in 4.5 cc's so when he went to pull out the 4.5 only 2 ccs came out. Is this normal? Ok so total he put that back in and some more resulting in a 7.5cc fill . Does this sound like a good amount for a VG band? My band only holds 10 cc so if at a month and a half out i already have 7.5 cc what am I going to do when I am 1 year out. PLease help me out by giving advice or feadback. I'm kinda frustrated about the whole thing.

-Miranda

banded 7-28-05

Dr Holsaeter

341-326-150

Miranda, there's no need to worry. We were just talking about this on another thread; it's not unusual for the doctor to be unable to pull out the exact amount that is "supposed" to be in the band. Evidently that's even more true for the VG band, which has compartments and lots of nooks and crannies for Fluid to sort of "hide."

And don't worry about the amount! It may be that your "base" level of fill is whatever it is, like 7.5 or 8, at which point you feel good restriction. If you ever do need another fill, you may only need a tiny little tweaking amount, .5 ccs or less, to get your restriction level back. As the band gets adjusted to fit you, it takes less and less Fluid to make noticeable differences in the restriction level.

So don't worry!! No one has ever been filled to the max and not felt it. You will NOT need to be filled past the capacity of the band to be successful. :(

Guest Miranda75

Alexandra,

Thank you so much that really helped . I feel a bit better.Does restriction ever feel like a pressure or like something is stuck in your throat. I havent pbed at all. I've tried to be real careful but it is a weird feeling i feel in my throat.

-Miranda

it is a weird feeling i feel in my throat
It's good to note everything! Sounds like your there and you feel it....

7.5 to 9 cc with a VG is a common restristion level. I'd take it slow...

creep to 8 if you must, try to feel the food. if your not eating as much as you use to, and feel fuller sooner, thats great. as little as .3cc can make a big difference with big bands

Miranda, that weird feeling in your throat is indeed restriction. food is getting halted in your pouch and perhaps in your esophagus a bit, and the sensation does sometimes feel like something caught in your throat. You'll learn how to translate the feelings, but take it very slow in the meantime. The best strategy is to WAIT between bites, until you can see how readily the food goes down. If you feel anything stuck in your throat, do NOT take another bite.

Good luck!!

Guest Kevin250

Thanks for this thread! I too have a VG band and still experimenting for the perfect fill. I am at 6cc now and at first thought it was good....until about 2 days out and now things are still going down way too easy. I will call for another appt. for a fill. I would guess maybe in the neighborhood of 8cc may be perfect, who knows? Some meats get caught early for a nice full feeling, but any moister foods like Soups, hamburger, etc. go right down. I just remember Protein, protein, protein!!!! I love this thread...lets keep it going!

Guest Kim B

Thanks to everyone for all of the information. I too have the VG band I guess - my Dr. called it the super band. Anyway I go for my first fill on Wed. 9/28 and my surgery was 9/14. I hope that I come away with the full feeling and it lasts more than a week - like with the initial surgery. I've lost 13 pounds and want to continue. I'm just tired of being tired.

Thanks all - this is a G~R~E~A~T Site!!!

Kim B:banana