Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any advice on how to start jogging....

Hi everybody. I know this sounds crazy and all but I need some advice on how to start jogging or running for exercise. I have been going to the gym and i have been walking and something inside me when i am walking keeps saying walk faster...faster.. and i feel like i am ready to start jogging or running.

Do i just pick up my feet and go or should i walk a little then pick up the pace or what... I have never ran or jogged for exercise before and wanted someone who does this to tell me how they got started.

I am 212 right now. Is that to big to be running??? I dont know how far i can run or jog but something inside me ( i know how dumb that sounds) wants to run. I sound like forest gump..lol

Ijust feel like all the exercising at the gym and the walking on the treadmill arent enough for me. I am so sick of being fat. I started huge and now am just fat lol.... anyway maybe i would feel free or something while running.

Goodness I have rambled on and on.. anyway if you can give me some advice please chime in and give it...... Thanks

THIS IS NOT A dumb QUESTION AT ALL...i'm able to speed walk 9 miles if not more with ease....i can ride my bikes 18 miles if not more with ease....then there is this jogging business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....lol.....i see people on my work out route all the time jogging with such ease!!!!!!!!!!! i can jog about a mile or 2 during my speed walk...but those COUPLE (or 1....lol) have to be broken up....i usually try to take off on an incline when i'm walking...i tried jogging at about 220 pounds...i kept saying i'm still 2 heavy....tried again at 200...still felt to heavy...i'm down to 172-174...still too heavy...lol....i dont know what it is....i jumped roped with my son last night....(my stomach flap made such lovely sounds...with every jump....lol) and that was quite a work out....good luck on the jogging!!!!!!!!!! we should keep in touch....support each other to jog a 1/2 mile...mile...and so on...

Your not crazy. I felt the same way when I was just walking. I HAD to start jogging.

If you have already been walking, then you have already started the road to jogging. The 1 most important thing is to get a good set of running shoes( if you don't have a pair already). They don't have to be the most expensive you can find( mine were on sale for $30). Just a pair designed for running and that is the only time you use them. Good fitting and designed shoes will do wonders to keep away injuries.

The 2nd most important thing is stretch before and after you jog. This will also prevent injuries as well as make you fill better.

The third is start out slow. Don't feel like you have to start to run 5 miles on your first week. you should start out walking maybe 15 minutes, then start to jog for 5-10. After that walk for 10 and jog for 5-10. Finish up your running with a cool down walk of 10 minutes. You don't have to be exact,but you get my point of jogging and walking the first week or so.

You want a pace that you can keep for a extended period of time. It does not have to be fast. The jogging is alittle faster than walking with one foot on the ground at a time. Don't have a stride that is so long your heel touched before the balls of your feet. Arms at 90* at your side in rhythm with your stride.

Just get out and try it. I played football in High school and College and absolutely hated to run, but now I really enjoy getting out and jogging. Its fun and great exercise. Just listen to your body and don't over do it.

sounds like great advice from Machbandster, I can't weigh in opinion on how best to get started because if someone pulled out a gun and said "Run or I'll shoot" I would tell them go ahead!!

It's great that you are listening to your body and pushing for more of a workout!!! If you continue like this there is no doubt that you will make your goal (and probably blow right past it!!!)

Good luck from on of the slower walkers in your way on the jogging trail!!

~Monica

I've worked out with trainers and they've given me this advice. Start with intervals... say 30 seconds or 60 seconds (like they do on the Biggest Loser - these are really really good for increasing your fitness and for losing weight). Increase your speed to a jog - say to about 4 mph or 4.5 mph - and then build up until the point where you can do a 2 minute interval without too much problem. Then they say that you run for a longer period - say 5 minutes - at a slower speed, and start to do intervals at an even faster speed... just think about increasing by 30 seconds or .25 miles every time you get on the treadmill. I did this after my surgery, starting with walking, moving to a slow job, etc... and ended up at 4 miles a day - with running and stuff...

Good luck.

luluc gave you the web site I've heard of...couch to 5k. Haven't done it but know a few "board" people on another board who say they have and that it works!

Good luck!

I agree, couch to 5K if you like structure.

You *might* find it happens for you like it did for me. I went out to start C25K, and when I reached the end of the first jogging section, I didnt need to stop! So I kept going. And going. It was a very slow, strange shuffle and I was breathing like a steam engine, but I could keep going. I ran 3kms (what's that 2 and a bit miles) that night.

That as my benchmark, I did that 4 times per week from then on. Then I bought a treadmill and I began to get on that daily, I trained for a 4K race, then a 5K, then a 7.5. After the first 4K, I took it back outside and alternated with the treadmill (the softer treadmill surface helped a lot) and nowadays I use the treadmill once or twice a week and run outside the rest of the time.

Intervals is a good way too - I do interval training now, and I run so hard that I must walk in the recovery sections. But early on, I was stubborn as stubborn. It wasnt a run if I walked even 2 step! (that's a bit stupid, but just me).

Good luck! Running was always my BIGGEST goal in losing weight. It was what I wanted to achieve.

thanks to all of you for your advice. I will check out the couch to 5 k thing and see if that helps. I am just glad to know that someone understands how I feel about it. I was starting to question my sanity..lol . Again thanks and good luck to anyone starting with me. I would love to keep up with you. just keep checkingin on this thread i guess and we can post our progress or lack there of lol..... have a good night

I'll add a vote for the couch to 5k. I'm on my third week (well I'm doing each week twice, so I'm on the "second" week of the program).

If you have an ipod or mp3 player, I suggest downloading one of the many podcasts for couch to 5k. There are a number of different ones. The music changes (or someone tells you) so you know when to run or walk or whatnot. Helped me a lot because I sure wasn't going to check my watch every 20 seconds to see if it was time to start or stop again.