Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Expectations

Guest Wannie19

Guest Wannie19

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else, but I was just banded on 8/29. I am still on liquids but have not had a fill yet (due on 9/14). I lost a quick 10 pounds in the first 6 days but since then I haven't lost anything! I am consuming over 50 grams of Protein and plenty of liquid but am getting a little frustrated. Has anyone else experienced this so quickly after surgery??

This is normal...you healing now and that's the most important thing right now. They say that any weight loss during the healing stage is a bonus.

Did you say you were banded 8/29 and you are having a fill on 9/14? Wow, that's early since most drs. recommend waiting at least 6 weeks....might want to double check this with your surgeon.

I too was banded on August 29th. I have moved on to the pureed/soft foods. I went to the doctor and he said that I won't even be ready for a fill until at least October. So far I have lost 19lbs. Maybe he is considering a fill because that is how he regularly does things. My surgeon said that some docs fill the band at the time of surgery. I guess they are all different.

Well, consider yourself "ahead" :D I've only lost 2 lbs in the week since I've been banded (8/31). But that's OK, I'm focusing on healing and getting back to normal -- I have days where I feel great and days where suddenly I feel completely fatigued and slightly nauseated and I need to lie down (not related to something I ate, just comes on all of a sudden)

I had my 1 week post-op on Wed and doc told me to start adding in mushies. So right now I'm eating scrambled eggs w/ricotta cheese melted in -- yummmmmy.

Does anyone else's port hurt like heck when they get up in the morning? Something about shifting from lying down to standing up sends shooting pains around that area. Ow ow ow ow. Doc says everything is just still tender and healing in there, which makes sense. :(

Guest Wannie19

Thanks for answering...you were all really helpful! And yes, I was surprised after everything I've read that my surgeon is doing the fill so quickly. I definitely have the most pain in the morning when I get up out of bed. I wasn't sure if it was my port that I was feeling, but it sounds like that is probably it!

I would think too that most people lose a little weight after any surgery because you have no appetite for a few days after an anaesthetic, then you're on a liquid diet, its all very "extreme" (though a necessary part of healing of course). Most people lose a lot of Fluid in that type of food restriction and the fact that the weight loss stops for so many is really just your body jacking up a bit and surviving.

Its actually a really big success that you dont gain because at any ordinary time if you went on a liquid diet for any length of time the minute you start to eat again you pile on the weight.

I was banded on August 25th. I haven't weighed yet but I can feel that my clothes are fitting a bit more loosely. I will not get a fill until I find that I am not continuing to lose weight. I too have pain around the port area. It is worse first thing in the morning.

My sister and I had surgery 8/29. We both have experienced discomfort especially in the port area. This morning, I had to take pain medicine after I got out of bed because of the pain. After 1 week, I lost 8 pounds and she lost 9.5 pounds. We seem to be losing every day. This is our 10th day since surgery and we are both feeling much better. I am retired, so I have really taken it easy--I want to give my body time to heal. We convinced our surgeon to let us start mushies this week. I have enjoyed baked potato, potato Soup, pintos and cheese (Taco Bell). I am having trouble with chewable vitamins, Calcium (tums, calcium losenges) and am just tolerating the Protein Shakes. I got some calcium chewing gum today that I will try. What kind of Vitamins, calcium, and Protein do you take? Sandy

I had my surgery 8/30, I was at 226.5 on 8/16 when I started the 2 weeks of Optifast, Surgery date I was 218.5 and 1 week post op I was 210.5 and today 205.5.... I am still on Clear Liquids, at weeks 3 and 4 I get to go to full liquids, and then weeks 5 & 6 I go to Mushies and then after that introduce regular foods... I have been getting frustrated here and there with the liquids, but as of today I see the reults, this past Tuesday I was 210.5 and I got on the scale this morning and saw 205.5 and I didnt believe it, I thought the scale was wrong cuz we just put new batteries in it.. So I went to publix and it said 206.. So I was sooooo happy. I know not supposed to keep weighing yourself,, but I am one of the many that has to see some results.. and keep thinking if I dont lose its only temporary....

I am just starting to like the choice I made,, hard at times, but so far so good.....

The few weeks of liquids/mushies following surgery are definitely a time for healing. Any weight loss in this time is just an extra bonus. After the swelling goes down, many people feel very hungry until they can It's frustrating, but it's necessary in order to allow your body to heal and to allow your band time to settle in.

Keep your chin up - it'll be over before you know it.

You know, you don't have to have a fill just because someone set that date. You don't need a fill till you need a fill... know what I mean?

Aside from that, I was banded in late July. I lost 18 pounds the first week on liquids and 11 the second. Then I started on soft food and promptly gained back 9 pounds over those 2 weeks. I was horrified! I had done a lot of research, but I didn't remember ever reading that people actually gained weight after banding!! :) But, I talked with my doctor, read some more & posted a bit and found out that it's quite common to gain back a bit when you start eating again. All the reasons given made sense but I was still disheartened and felt a bit of a failure.

Then when I started eating "real" food I began losing again. *shrug* :D I don't get it, but I'm happy about it.

Hang in there... things will change before you realize it.