Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet before surgery

Can anyone tell me how long are you on this diet before surgery. I swear I thought I read someone was in there 3rd month of this diet before surgery. I thought this was after surgery Please explain the dieting before and after surgery.

I hope I don't have to go on a diet for 3-6 months before surgery. I mean if I can do that then I wouldn't need the band :purplebananna:

You need to talk to your insurance company. Some insurance companies require 3 or 6 months of supervised dieting before they will approve lap band surgery. Usually, your surgeon's office can be the one to supervise this diet period. If you are self-pay, then don't worry about it. You don't have to do it. It is only an insurance requirement.

If you haven't talked to your insurance company yet, I would recommend calling. Find out that they for sure cover lap band surgery, what their requirements are (most have a minimum BMI that you must have been at for a specified period of time) and depending on your BMI, may require co-morbidities. Supervised diet is another possible requirement, along with a psych. evaluation and visit(s) with a nutritionist. Find out what doctors in your area are approved by your insurance so that you start out with an approved doctor, too.

Aww ok thank you this was helpful i will be calling my ins company im not self pay.

Yaaaaaaaaay I just called my ins and there is no diet requirements or counsling good. I have preffered one ins.

Edited by neesh

Diets vary from surgeon to surgeon and insurance company to insurance company. My insurance company does not require a "diet." However, part of the pre-op requirements w/ my surgeon include losing 10% of my starting weight and being nutritionally cleared by the nutritionists he has on staff. The philosophy is that I need to show my commitment and my ability to make the neccessary life-style changes given that the band is merely a tool. At first, I was really put off by the nutritionists, but as I get further into the process I have realized two things 1) they are a great resource in this process and 2) they are also in a sense "gatekeepers" in that it does not matter if I pass every single medical/psych test given me --- if they are not satisfied that I "get" the nutritional part of all of this, I will not have surgery. Therefore, even though I am not perfect in following their nutrtional recommendations (i.e., I had two margaritas and a big old plate of enchiladas for my 40th birthday) I am being as compliant as possible in following their recommedations. For me, the recommendations are consume no more than 1200-1400 cal per day, eat 60-80 grams of Protein a day & consume 48-64 oz of low calorie/non-caffienated Fluid a day.

Diets vary from surgeon to surgeon and insurance company to insurance company. My insurance company does not require a "diet." However, part of the pre-op requirements w/ my surgeon include losing 10% of my starting weight and being nutritionally cleared by the nutritionists he has on staff. The philosophy is that I need to show my commitment and my ability to make the neccessary life-style changes given that the band is merely a tool. At first, I was really put off by the nutritionists, but as I get further into the process I have realized two things 1) they are a great resource in this process and 2) they are also in a sense "gatekeepers" in that it does not matter if I pass every single medical/psych test given me --- if they are not satisfied that I "get" the nutritional part of all of this, I will not have surgery. Therefore, even though I am not perfect in following their nutrtional recommendations (i.e., I had two margaritas and a big old plate of enchiladas for my 40th birthday) I am being as compliant as possible in following their recommedations. For me, the recommendations are consume no more than 1200-1400 cal per day, eat 60-80 grams of Protein a day & consume 48-64 oz of low calorie/non-caffienated Fluid a day.

Has your success with this made you reconsider whether you should even have the surgery?

Has your success with this made you reconsider whether you should even have the surgery?

No it has not. I have been overweight since I was a child. The first time I joined weight watchers I was 12 years old. I lost 25 pounds. I have had repeated "success" at losing weight all of my life. A few years ago, I even managed to drop 60 pounds (from 215 to 155) in a period of about 6 months. As you can see, I gained it all back. The reason I am getting the band is that 1) I hope to get down to a healthy BMI & 2) I hope to use the band as tool to STAY at a healthy BMI.