Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A newbie who is doubting having the band done

Hi,

I'm from Reno, NV and I'm just going through the preliminaries, since my insurance requires 6 mo. of physician-supervised weight loss. I won't be banded until after the first of 2010. My weight now is 292. My Dr. is Dr. Sasse at Western Bariatric Institute here in Reno.

I have read here and there on the forum, and now I'm not sure I want to go through this. So many people have such awful problems. I'm going to be 60 yrs. old by the time I have it done, and I have tried everything there is out there. I don't want to spend my last years FAT and unhealthy, but there seem to be lots of struggling "bandeds" out there. Is this really a good idea?

So,here's my take on things...I am NOT banded yet...just a few more days (May 26) and I have been going through every emotion. Bottom line,it's human nature to express bad things over good. So here on the message board,there is a safe place to complain,work through fears,let out aggrivation in an enviorment that it's encouraged to do so. ANd that's great. Because it helps us feel that we are not alone. When somehthing is working (the band) we aren't going to post everyday "well,another great day on the band,felt great and no issues"...we post when something is wrong...I don['t think I'm doing a good job explaining it. Bottom line,if I stay fat I'm going to die sooner than if I were smaller...the lab band is a tool that will help me achieve that. Best of luck with your decision.

There are SO MANY people who have had a successful experience with the band! Many, or maybe even most of them, don't belong to any online forum. They are quietly succeeding. Those with problems will find a place to vent or seek help with their problems...and you find them here doing exactly that! There are some who imagined that they would not have to eat healthy for the rest of their lives, or who thought that the band was a magic potion that would magically melt the fat away without any effort on their parts. They're wrong....but they will come here to voice that their bands have failed them. Some people do have legitimate problems but, statistlcally, they are in the minority. But I shouldn't have to talk to you into something nor do I want to do that. You have to be right in your mind about it. Good luck with the decision making process.

Here is the thing...it IS a struggle to have the band sometimes. It takes more effort to eat. It takes a long time to eat. You occasionally throw up/PB. But it is a lifestyle change...and you get used to it. You still have to put forth a lot of effort. But it is so worth it! Given your age, I think you should definitely try it! Good luck

I am almost 51 and will be banded Wed. Mt cousin is 55 and was banded last year. For me I have lost a hundred pounds so many times to gain it back. I know this is the one thing that will work for me. I will never be fat again. If I only lived for another 5 years I would say. thank you Lord for making my last few years happy and healthy. And my pall bearers would be thankful for the weight loss!! It was a year long process for me for insurance and tests and I think you are never too old or young to make great lifestyle changes. Good luck with your decision.

Cheryl!! Your message is true and it made me laugh out loud!! I guess I worry I will die on the table and then my pallbarers will not be so happy.

Thanks for the laugh.

Jill

I have to say I'm SOOO impressed and amazed! I just posted the original 3 hrs. ago, and already I have heard from all of you thoughtful and helpful people. Thanks to all of you so far. Deep down inside, I know I will have it done, but it's just the beginning of my emotional roller-coaster ride, I guess. I'm already thankful to have such a caring bunch of people I know I can turn to for help and support when I need it, and do the same for others when they need it. Cheers to my new group of friends!

And thanks--Judi

Hi I am 48 and getting the band next week. I know how tought this decision is, I tend to investigate and research the heck out of everything and I understand your concerns. I do agree with the above though, there are so many happy and successful banded people but they are out there living their lives and having fun now that they have lost their weight rather than being on here telling us how happy they are. Does that make sense? For me this seems to make the most sense, I have lost 100lbs several times and gained it back, so I know I can lose weight just cant keep it off, so for me this seems like the best thing I could do, as it will help me with the part I have issues with. Good luck with your decision.

Just think how hot we are going to be in the next year. I think I am going to make my grandbaby call me Glam ma!!!

Tomorrow is going to be tough. The clear liquid day and Wed morning the hospital at 5am. How will I ever face this doctor again after he has seen me all laid out on that table naked? I don't have a fear of dying in surgery, I have a fear of dying of embarassment being naked at a kazillion pounds. I will let yall know how it goes once it's over. Take care. Cheryl / Memphis, TN

Hi,

I'm from Reno, NV and I'm just going through the preliminaries, since my insurance requires 6 mo. of physician-supervised weight loss. I won't be banded until after the first of 2010. My weight now is 292. My Dr. is Dr. Sasse at Western Bariatric Institute here in Reno.

I have read here and there on the forum, and now I'm not sure I want to go through this. So many people have such awful problems. I'm going to be 60 yrs. old by the time I have it done, and I have tried everything there is out there. I don't want to spend my last years FAT and unhealthy, but there seem to be lots of struggling "bandeds" out there. Is this really a good idea?[/QUOT]

~~~~~~

I can understand your fears and anxiety. I felt the same way before mine. It has been 28 days today since mine. You can't make a better decision for your health. The way I looked at it was...sure there could be risks with this surgery but the cost of doing nothing is definitely an early death. I have lost 17 pounds since the surgery (and that was with no excercise due to severe spinal damage and shattered knee). I was addicted to dr. pepper sooo bad and I haven't had one since, I cut salt out of my life and am eating really healthy. Believe me, it's the best choice you can make and you have an automatic "family" waiting here to support you! Best of luck!

Kate :purplebananna:

Wait -- my doctor saw me NEKKID?? :Banane01:

But I digress... this decision is yours. I don't try to talk anybody into or out of this surgery. However, everybody here is right -- this is a place to vent about problems. The number of success stories overwhelm the number of issues, and let's be honest -- a lot of those "issues" are created by the banded because they don't follow the rules or try to make the band do all the work, wailing that if they wanted to go on a diet, blah blah blah. Cry me a river.

There ARE legitimate issues where people did everything right and the band gave them fits. It does happen and can't be avoided. But again, those numbers in relation to success stories are minor. That said, you need to determine what is important to you and if the failure rate is enough to make you re-think this. Nobody should tell you what to do -- all they can do is tell you how their experiences have been so that you can take away all information and come to your own conclusion.

It was for this very reason that NOBODY knew I was going to have surgery until I had made up my own mind based on my research. Hubby didn't know, friends didn't know, and family didn't know. As it is, only a few people know about my surgery, but that is another topic. The fact is, I didn't want others swaying me either way.

Maybe do yourself a favor and visit the "Before and After" board or a board where people have lost 100 pounds or more. Get some good info into ya. :purplebananna:

As for me, it's almost been a breeze. I'm still having to re-learn HOW I eat -- slow down and make sure my bites are small and well-chewed -- but beyond that, I'm very happy. I'm a few days away from 6 months out and I'm down 61.5 pounds.