Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

frustrated and upset with therapist

I had an appointment today to see my therapists nurse. She was going to set me up for blood work, so I thought. I had an hour session with her and she told me the lap band wouldn't work for me. This is the first time I have ever seen her!She doesn't even know me!! I worked all weekend on my weight history and provided her with 40 years of everything I have tried and how much I lost and regained, which to me is not showing a chemical imbalance, which they are looking for! I thought once I got my therapist on board I would then go to my pcp and talk to him. I don't know if I should just make an appointment with my pcp and not go back to the therapist. I have an appointment with my regular therapist for next thursday. Any suggestions? I am so discouraged right now. I wanted to say "maybe I'll wait until I'm over 300 and come back"

I'm confused, have you started the process of weightloss surgery by finding a group that does the surgery yet? Who discouraged you a psychiatric nurse?

Maybe I'm doing the process in the wrong order! The therapist I am seeing deals with weight lost and eating disorders. I have been seeing her since November and like her but this is the nurse in her office I saw today. What is the order of who I should talk to. pcp first, surgeon? I guess I'm confused. I have seen my pcp for weight issues and he is the one that sent me to this therapist. The surgeon I wanted to go to is about an hour away but you can't attend the seminar until you are approved by your regular doctor. How do you get eveyone on board? thanks

Maybe I'm doing the process in the wrong order! The therapist I am seeing deals with weight lost and eating disorders. I have been seeing her since November and like her but this is the nurse in her office I saw today. What is the order of who I should talk to. pcp first, surgeon? I guess I'm confused. I have seen my pcp for weight issues and he is the one that sent me to this therapist. The surgeon I wanted to go to is about an hour away but you can't attend the seminar until you are approved by your regular doctor. How do you get eveyone on board? thanks

I visited my pcp first, got the okay from them that they would support me.

Then I went to an informational seminar.

Next I went to a consultation with the surgeon.

He will refer me to the counselor and nutritionist when I get closer to having my 6 month diet completed.

thanks for the info. I will call my pcp tomorrow and hopefully will be going in the right direction.

Deb

I found out my surgery was covered by my insurance, and I found out which surgeons were in the "network". I picked one. I went to his seminar. I made an appt to see him the next week. I went back a week later for psych and nutrition consults (all at his office). I had an upper GI done. Then they submitted my paperwork. Insurance approved within 2 days and I had preop tests done on a Friday, banding date that next Tues. It was super easy!

I found out my surgery was covered by my insurance, and I found out which surgeons were in the "network". I picked one. I went to his seminar. I made an appt to see him the next week. I went back a week later for psych and nutrition consults (all at his office). I had an upper GI done. Then they submitted my paperwork. Insurance approved within 2 days and I had preop tests done on a Friday, banding date that next Tues. It was super easy!

Boy that was a quick process for you. I wish mine would be that easy. I think I am in for a fight. I am at the low end bmi 36.9 and have about 50-60 to lose.

I think it's partly because I was SO big! BUT it's possible your surgeon has a psych person he uses (and not all require that actually)

However most insurance policies, if you have a BMI of 35-40, require a comorbidity or two like sleep apnea, diabetes, etc. (not sure exactly which; it depends on insurance and didn't apply to me anyway)

ZBefore you panic go to your primary, see is s/he will recommend you and then on to the surgeon. Don't borrow trouble, as my granny used to say. That therapist and nurse may not have any say in the matter.

I guess it depends on your insurance. With mine I need to see my PCP and then be referred to the bariatric group. I would also call the bariatric group you are interested in having do your surgery. The one I go to is pretty big and they do many orientations and you have to have to call the bariatric office to get into one of the orientations. It's not a walk in type deal. Good luck, which group are you picking in NY?

I am about 50 miles north of Albany so I was looking in Ellis Bariatic Care Center with Marlene Ingram MD. Thanks for eveyones words of encouragment. I do feel better. I don't have anyone here that has had wls so I have no one close by to talk to. This board has been very helpful.

I'm with Geisinger Insurance which is an HMO sort of (kind of like Kaiser permanente in Calif., have their own clinics/hospitals). I had my PMP, who was extremely supportive, refer me to the bariatric group, from there they had to approve whether I even qualified under insur co.'s requirements for someone under 40 BMI. Once they agreed that I met all those requirements then it's just been going through the six-month plan. I would first go to see your PMP. If he's not supportive of your decision, change PMPs until you find one who is because he will refer you, depending on your insurance company. I wouldn't get discouraged yet. If your company has a web site, it will probably have on there the requirements for bariatric surgery. Now I will say that my surgeon won't approve lapband for just anyone. They are big believers in bypass for patients with really high BMIs. So he was fine with me having it. So hang in there and do your research with your ins. co.

trisha

The insurance co is the first place I called for their requirements. If they wouldn't even consider wws, there is no way I could be a self pay. They were very nice and mailed me the guidelines and their requirements. With a low bmi I have to meet one/two of the medical issues, which I do, my blood work I'm having Wed. will confirm that part. Thanks again for your information. I hope I can get into my pcp this week or next.

Deb

I would report the nurse's lousy attitude to her boss, who is your therapist I assume. She had the wrong attitude to be doing any kind of work with overweight people especially ones having bariatric surgery. She needs a new job.

I agree. I don't think it's the nurse's job to tell you what you need or don't need. I would certainly talk to your therapist and let her know that you were upset with what/and how the nurse dealt with you. Don't let one whack job get you down.... keep on keeping on. Good luck to you. Keep coming here and asking, venting, and chatting. It's a great place with lots of friendly people. Take care. Becky

I am about 50 miles north of Albany so I was looking in Ellis Bariatic Care Center with Marlene Ingram MD. Thanks for eveyones words of encouragment. I do feel better. I don't have anyone here that has had wls so I have no one close by to talk to. This board has been very helpful.

She's a wonderful surgeon and did my daughter's RNY. Look into seeing if there are any WLS support groups close to your home. I know they have them at Ellis but it might be too far for you to attend. A lot of hospitals may not do the surgery but still may have support groups. Good luck, Nancy.