Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

frustrated and upset with therapist

I called my pcp today and can't get in until next Wed. Then I called the surgeons office just to see how far out she is booking. The girl asked my height and weight and asked about comobitity(? spell) She said she couldn't even sign me up for the next semmiar until after I saw my doctor (she was already to sign me up until I told her one of my issues was high cholostrol) She said that didn't count! So do I hope my blood work finds something terrible or do I gain 50 lbs so I qualify????? Guess I need to calm donw and just wait until next week when I see my pcp.... It's just that I really need this...

Here's a little different perspective;

Perhaps you should listen to the Nurse.

I know how much you want this to happen, but it is entirely possible that this particular Nurse saw you as NOT being an appropriate candidate for the Band.

In all fairness, you didn't give us a whole lot of info about the relationship you have with your therapist, what exactly her relationship is with the Nurse (therapists don't usually have Nurses), or what kind of conversations you had with the therapist. Did your therapist AGREE with you that the band would be right for you? Is the therapist qualified to make that decision?

Again, I'm not sure what the relationships are here, but it would seem entirely possible that IF this Nurse was an experienced Nurse in Dealing with Bariatric cases, she MIGHT have simply identified you as someone who would NOT do well with the band.

The Band does NOT work well for ALL people. It does wonders for many, but you really do have to be a certain kind of person to make it work. It may be that this Nurse thinks that ANOTHER WLS might be a better option for you. If you gave her a 40-year history on your weight ups-and-downs, she might simply have seen something in that history that might have precluded you being successful with a Band.

Have you talked with your therapist since you saw the Nurse? it might be possible that in the time between your last meeting with the therapist and your meeting with the Nurse, that THEY spoke and came to the conclusion that the band might not be right for you.

Just something to consider...:redface:

HH

Head hunter thanks for your input. I have been seeing this therapist for 6 months. She has helped me through some tough times and has been trying to help me find out why I eat like I do. When I mentioned lap band, that's when she said she would have me see her new nurse and the nurse could write me orders for blood test. I didn't know she would be doing anything other than writing a scrip for blood work I just looked at the nurses card and it says Psychiatric Nurse Practioner and under it says "comprehensive holistic approach" THINK THAT ANSWERS ALL. Here's an example that now makes sense to me. I told her I didn't sleep well. She told me not to watch tv for at least 2 hours before bed time because the light from the tv is a stiminulate! I had blood work done this morning and have to go back after work for the p.m. part (cortisol test) Anyone have that test done? Not sure what it is for, something with the adrenal gland.

Deb

I would so run, don't walk to a new dr. Also, if you don't sleep well (and if you snore), you may well have sleep apnea, not uncommon for overweight folks. Ask your primary care physician for a referral (if you have the kind of insurance that requires referrals) for a sleep study. If getting approval depends on a nutritionist, I would clearly pick one who is not a holistic nutritionist. She will probably never agree. Just like my first primary dr told me "well you just need to count calories." Oh, silly me, like I didn't know that for the past 20, multiple lose-gain-lose-gain cycles. I promptly changed drs and new pcp is extremely supportive of my getting banded.

Good luck

Trisha

I had blood work done this morning and have to go back after work for the p.m. part (cortisol test) Anyone have that test done? Not sure what it is for, something with the adrenal gland.

There are a few endocrinological diseases that cause, among other things, weight gain. They screen for these so that they can determine if there's an underlying condition that must be treated first. Another way of performing this screening is a 24-hour urinalysis.

I also agree with her suggestion not to watch TV so late, for the same reason.

I went to my PCP 1st. She made a referral to the surgeon. The surgeon's office set me up for all of my pre-op evaluations w/ providers that they use regularly, including my upcoming psych eval. It will be a psychiatric nurse practitioner that does my psych eval as well.

I so appreciate everyone input. I really do. I guess I went about this a**backwards. I should have never mentioned it to the therapist. From what I NOW understand the surgeon will use a therapist she recommends. One that deals with wls patients all the time. Same with a nutritionist. I spoke with an old friend that had the full gastic bypass 3 years ago. She said she has never been happier and for me to fight to have this done. She has lost 115 lbs, and lost most of that in the first year. I'm getting my big speech ready for my pcp on Wednesday. Any thing I really stress to him to get him on board. I have no idea what his feelings are about any wls. I'll find out Wednesday. Wish me luck. again thank you all for your support.

Deb