Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wish I hadn't told anyone I was getting the band

If I could back up time I would not tell anyone. I think everyone in my town knows I have the band. I feel so much stress. you would not believe it, seems like everytime I walk out my door someone is asking well how much weight have you lost. The phone rings and its someone wanting to know how much weight I have lost. The worst thing of all is I've lost 25lbs in less than five weeks have no fill yet and they look at me like I haven't lost enough. Because they know so little about the band they think I should be losing like I had the gastric bypass. Please be smart and don't tell anyone.

People can be such idiots, but it may help to think that MOST of them are asking because they truly care about you. Of course, some may just be nosy and possibly jealous, but whatever their reasons it's rude and tactless to ask anyone about their weight. Man, I just can't believe what people will do!

It probably is a good idea to be circumspect, unless we really want attention from others and close examination of our waistlines. I know I didn't and I only told people close to me and who I thought could handle it. There's only one person I regret telling.

I guess I just don't give a rat's behind about what anybody thinks... And if they look at me like I should have lost MORE than 25 pounds in one month - I think I will have to ask them how much THEY weigh and how much THEY have lost in the last 31 days... Or, the kinder, gentler version - I will point out that prior to getting the band, I would have lost NOTHING and probably gained.

It will give me a chance to school people on the band and the difference between band and RNY. I really believe educating more people about this is the answer. (my little soap box).

Sorry you're having a hard time of it Nickie.

:/

I feel the same way my husband told my co-worker because he thought I told her whicH i told him i didn't tell anyone at work now at work its like a big watch people know but they don't want me to think they know its all nonsense i wish I told no one but its too late I hate being under so much pressure

Call me strange, but I tell anyone and everyone who ask..Iam so proud of my success. Not to mention the more who know the more focused and motivated I am. It keeps it real for me while out in public. I make such better food choices when I am around my peers who know of my band I think the reason for that is I do not want to be judged by what I eat, so it helps me to stay on course. And the best part is I'm able to help others by telling everyone. I have sent 5 people to Dr. Ortiz and 2 too their own doctors who were covered by their insurance. I own a restraunt so Iam around food constantly and alot of my customers are obese , they have watched my transformation over the last 17 months..We all have our reasons for telling or not telling.

I didn't tell anyone except my parents and one friend. Sometimes I wish I would have told people because I think I would be under more pressure to lose weight and stop screwing around if people did know. Also I am always afraid that if I get into a fight with my friend, then she would tell people. So if I could go back, I would tell people, but it's too late to tell now.

I tell anybody who is interested, I have highlighted on my calender at work...can't miss it. I was so happy to finally get approved...had to stop myself from climbing on the roof and shouting that I had finally been approved.

The worst thing of all is I've lost 25lbs in less than five weeks.

Hello...this is fast weight loss. You will never see weight loss this fast again with the band. One or two pounds per week will have you jumping for joy later on!

I do agree, though with the rest of your message. Don't tell people. Your life will become about nothing but weight loss.

Thanks for the advise! I don't plan to tell anyone except of course, my spouse

Danno

Good idea. The only people who know are my parents, my in-laws, my brother, my husband's siblings and one cousin. And I'm glad.

my friends know i went through surgery but they thought it was only to fix my hiatal hernia. i decided not to tell them bc they gossip a lot and they are an insecure lot...one friend sort of guessed it but i looked her in the eye and denied it. cos if i confirmed it with her the whole world would know also.

my family knows i have the band, select friends, my mom's immediate family and one aunt from my dad side. one grandma and one aunt guessed it cos i know abt the band from them for the first time - and the rest because i want a cousin to know to have it as an option for him.

Guest myband

Hi,

The only one who knows about my band is my husband.and as husbands go they dont come any better than him, he is so supportive.

My 3 grown up children do not know, and nobody at work knows.When I went in for surgery [2 nights]I just told my girls that I was away on work conference, which I sometimes do, so that lie was easy.

12 months befor I had surgery there was someone at work who had lapbanding and I heard too many negative responses about how she was not loosing that much weight and one guy said "How would you be eh!........with a cable tie around your guts," and he was usually a nice sort of guy.....just ignorant I guess.

Also my weight was 231Ib [37BMI] and I know that would get negative response also.

This is why it is so great having this site to refer to and gives me all the necessary info I need.

Banded 2nd June 05 - Vanguard - filled to 5 cc so far

Lose of 22Ibs

I intended to tell only a select few family members, and told them I didn't want it getting out. Well get out it did, my in laws called today and asked how I was after the surgery. I don't really mind that they know really, it's just the rest of the 40+ family members on my husbands side that also will know. I don't feel comfortable talking about the surgery with thin people. Somehow if someone is struggling themselves with weight they have a better understanding of why I did this. For the others, it's none of their business.

I tell everyone I meet who i think should know.. and i think it helps me better not worrying about "Keeping a secret" plus.. i couldnt imagine not having the support i have of everyone around me.

I am not really embarassed to have someone ask me how much ive lost.. if they dont know the difference between the band and the bypass the sure do after meeting me!!!

like.. no offense at ALL but I really frown on this comment tho.. i mean its cool some ppl dont tell but disappointed to see someone actually say, "Please be smart and don't tell anyone." especially when so many of us are open and honest with everyone we meet about the band and the weight loss. I dont think i would ever tell someone, "please be smart and tell anyone you meet"

I think my way of thinking with the band is this.. I wish someone would have came to me 2 years ago and said, look ive lost all this weight i look and feel great and id recommend it to anyone who needs to do this to be healthy. I kinda hope that me telling everyone i meet does a few things, one being inspire others to look into it.. but most of all getting awareness and knowledge out about the lapband. And really.. talking about it to people and hearing their questions and answering them is a big support for me. Especially when they ask, "what made you decide to do this surgery" (so i am always reminded why) and even better.. "would you do it again and why" (to remind me of all the great changes and what i wouldnt take back for the world) .. then of course there is always asking "what can you eat" (this reminds me of what i SHOULD be eating to be a "perfect bandster") I dont think theres a stronger way of support at this point in my journey. My hubby is there 100% and we talk daily about my changes both physical and emotional but being able to even have some little idea that i could be inspiring someone else to do this for the better.. im all for it and it makes me feel good to know someone else can be as happy as i am.