Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I have read every thread...

and I have a few questions I haven't seen covered exactly...

What should I have around for the post op period as far as liquid food is concerned?

What is everyone's favorite Protein Shake? What is the Protein/carb/fat profile of a good shake?

What meds should I expect to be on? I've seen Nexium/Prilosec, Gas-x, something for the gall bladder? Anything else?

What is the best way to maximize the weight lost after the surgery? I'd like to loose about 150lbs if possible.

And if it makes a difference I am thinking I am going to have my sleeve done by Dr. Aceves, though I haven't contacted them yet.

Thanks so much!

and I have a few questions I haven't seen covered exactly...

What should I have around for the post op period as far as liquid food is concerned?

What is everyone's favorite Protein shake? What is the Protein/carb/fat profile of a good shake?

What meds should I expect to be on? I've seen Nexium/Prilosec, Gas-x, something for the gall bladder? Anything else?

What is the best way to maximize the weight lost after the surgery? I'd like to loose about 150lbs if possible.

And if it makes a difference I am thinking I am going to have my sleeve done by Dr. Aceves, though I haven't contacted them yet.

Thanks so much!

I know they have a grocery list for post ops. I'd ask them for that. Even if you don't go to Aceves they will give it to you anyway.

My favorite Protein Shake is whey Gourmet Choco/Peanut butter. It's good! You can mix it with Water, shake it in a water bottle and it's still thick. Or, you can mix it with Soy Slender chocolate and it's chocolate-y-er. ;o) That's Elisabeth's find. The Protein powder itself has about 20-23gms of Protein (I forget), 120 calories, and 3gms carbs. Absolutely a perfect ratio.

For the clear liquid stage if your surgeon requires one, nectar products, unjury, or Isopuke are best.

Meds... depends on your doctor. I can tell you what my doc wants, he prefers Nexium but a lot of people get other PPIs because Nexium is so expensive. Some take Protonix (covered by most ins), prevacide, or prilosec.

The absolute best way to lose weight is to take FULL advantage of the first 6 months. Your stomach is as small as it ever will be. You can hardly eat anything. Exercise like a crazy person during that time and you'll lose faster. We don't really have a honeymoon period like bypass folks do but we do have an easier time of it the first six months. MOST of all, cut out all white carbs. Not all carbs, all WHITE carbs. That will get you down in no time. Between small quantities, low white carbs, and exercise, that's the ticket.

Aceves... if you are interested contact their coordinator Renee.

Reneekohlpath@gmail.com

She's a wealth of information. I think she's been sleeved for a long time now, I don't remember how long for sure.

Really do your research and see which is the right doctor for you. No one doctor is the best fit for everyone. I like him, I trust him, but you have to look at the whole picture. Aftercare, etc.

HA! It just hit me, you have read every thread?

OMG, that's fantastic. I'm totally impressed. I really love talking to and posting with my fellow anal retentive researchers.

I tend to take these things to a bit of an extreme in some cases but you know, I'm not so sure that is as negative as it just sounded when I reread my own words. If you are considering elective surgery, life changing surgery out of the country, is there really any value in not researching something to pieces?

Just had to add a note that your thread title finally clicked. Good job! Keep reading, don't stop until the night before surgery.

HA! It just hit me, you have read every thread?

OMG, that's fantastic. I'm totally impressed. I really love talking to and posting with my fellow anal retentive researchers.

I tend to take these things to a bit of an extreme in some cases but you know, I'm not so sure that is as negative as it just sounded when I reread my own words. If you are considering elective surgery, life changing surgery out of the country, is there really any value in not researching something to pieces?

Just had to add a note that your thread title finally clicked. Good job! Keep reading, don't stop until the night before surgery.

There's no such thing as going to extreme when you're talking about knowing about your own personal health! I have found that out :rolleyes2:

There's no such thing as going to extreme when you're talking about knowing about your own personal health! I have found that out :rolleyes2:

Yes, I agree. I do wish long term US band/sleeve stats would have been out the first time around. I am pretty sure I would have chosen the sleeve. Knowing what I do now I am sure I would have.

Yes, I agree. I do wish long term US band/sleeve stats would have been out the first time around. I am pretty sure I would have chosen the sleeve. Knowing what I do now I am sure I would have.

I know when I started this journey, I was going for the band; however, after attending Dr. Teng's seminar, researching on my own, and all of the information I have received from this site, I am SO GLAD that I learned what I learned BEFORE having the band and decided to go with the sleeve instead.

Also, thanks to WASa's link about how to research a mexican doctor, and from hearing all the positive things I have about Dr. Aceves and talking to his staff, I feel 100% positive with my choices.

Yup, every one!

I feel like I am totally ready to be free of the weight and having a surgery would be the tool I need to get me there.

I previously lost 60 lbs before I hit a major stall, but I couldn't keep it up because I was starving all the time.

What I did learn from that was that I was capable of controlling my eating, I can follow an eating plan to the letter, and I worked out quite a few of my "eating demons", stress, boardem, etc.

So if I could just get rid of the starving all the time problem I now know I can loose the weight, and I think the sleeve is the way to go.

And through all my research I really think Dr. A is the one. My husband wants to look into both the VSG and Dr. A before I sign up, but he understands I want to do this.

I am a compulsive researcher, but once I come to a decision, I want it done! So now to get DH on board and signed up!

I'm just like you. Once I made my final decision I wanted it done - NOW. I just had to wait a little bit to gather the last of the cash I needed, but if I could not have done that I would have financed. If your health isn't worth it what else in you life would be?

When I decided it was time for my gallbladder to come out, I walked into the doctor's office and said that I wanted it out tomorrow. OK, it took a week to get on the surgeon's schedule, but I got it done when I wanted it done.

I've decided this is the time to do it regarding my weight and so now I'm gong to do it!!

Dr. Aceves and his staff are all wonderful. I had a great experience there. I really can't imagine going to anyone else since he is so experienced with doing this surgery, and if you are a self pay, you aren't going to find a better price. Great surgeon, great price, you just can't go wrong!

From everything I've been able to find, he is the 'go to' surgeon for this operation. That is part of the reason why I did not go through months of trying to get insurance approval. Here in Vegas the doctors are not experienced with the sleeve. They do the other surgeries but not the sleeve. They are just now beginning to do them. I don't want to be one of the first ten a doctor does. I want my guy to have done many, many. Aceves meets that bill.

After speaking to a surgeon that does all 4 operations, he said he hasn't really had that many patients that have that much trouble with the band - he said his patients have had less problems with the realize vs. the lap band - He said BUT! He hasn't done all the band surgeries in the world, so he has no way of knowing how many problems that there are. He said its very important to go to support groups, check out forums like this and get people's experiences. They are the people that know the real issues you'll potentially face. He doesn't have a band or any other WLS so he can't tell you exactly what you're going to go through. He can only tell you his patients experiences. He was very open about talking to others that have had the surgery.

I'm so very fortunate to have found the forum on sleeves - I wasn't even considering it as an option before finding it. I was pretty well set on the band. I'm so grateful for the information.

a lot of people don't have band problems at first.

Then all of a sudden, things start going wrong. It's usually the people who have been banded over a year when you start to see people complaining of reflux or slippage, etc.

He said its very important to go to support groups, ....

I'm so very fortunate to have found the forum on sleeves - I'm so grateful for the information.

Well I was informed tonight on OH :

"MARY ANN M.'s reply was:

I asked around and everyone I spoke to said that no one will touch you after you've had the surgery in Mexico. Have you arranged for a Dr. to F/U with you here? Maybe they have a support group."

So do you think it's greed or ignorance?

You don't really need any follow up once you have the sleeve. You don't have to go back for fills, etc. You just have a smaller stomach and go on with your life.

Well I was informed tonight on OH :

"MARY ANN M.'s reply was:

I asked around and everyone I spoke to said that no one will touch you after you've had the surgery in Mexico. Have you arranged for a Dr. to F/U with you here? Maybe they have a support group."

This is not true.

There are patient-led support groups that aren't affiliated with any doctor and there are surgeons who will see patients from Mexico.

Now, it is very important, if you have a band, to line up your aftercare before you go. You don't want to get a band and then find that no one in your area will do your fills. But there are plenty of people who go to Mexico for bands and do their follow-up locally to them.

For the sleeve, your PCP can do your follow-up.