Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why "Chew To Liquid" is Absurd

I've seen it on the forums that some patients are saying "chew to liquid." It didn't make sense to me, so I'm actually glad he addressed it.

I have heard the "chew to liquid" statement from my doc and also from his nurse in our support group. But, it's actually directed at new post-op patients that are in the beginning stages.

Anyone of us learns early on that NOT chewing our food good enough will cause problems. The thought of "chewing till liquid" makes me gag.

I only lurked on the anti-salad thread. WTH? Not living without them. A well-rounded, nutritional meal all on one plate. Doesn't get any better than that!

Actually the nutritionist I saw for my pre op diet gave me a paper that said Goals prior to gastric surgery and on the paper one of the behavioral goals was "learn to eat chewing very well making every bite of food into a liquid before swallowing." And when I read that I thought that it would be very difficult to do and pretty gross.:eek:

My doctor has never told me to chew to liquid, but the nutritionist that runs the support group in my hometown has said that. I disagreed with Dr. V on the salad issue, but I do agree with him on this. If you are chewing or blending things to a liquid to just get them down you might as well just be drinking your calories. Yes...i have actually heard of people blending a Big Mac. (gagging now!)

The beauty of these forums is that you can post your opinion, read about others opinons and suggestions and use them to formulate questions to ask your doctor. I would NEVER take life changing advice from anyone on here without consulting my doctor. However, for a lot of people (especially those researching the band) it allows them to ask their doctors questions.

Seems to me that 'chew to liquid' means to do your best to masticate the food you put in your mouth. I think most adults competent enough to actually have a lapband will understand that you're probably NOT going to get to 'liquid' but do your best to chew, chew, chew - otherwise, especially in the beginning and when you're really tightly filled, you will definitely get a surprise. We're notorious for taking big bites and gulping food in our obesity. I would tend to think 'chew to liquid' is a phrase meant to reinforce how very important it is to be aware, consciously chew and chew some more..

Yes, this is very interesting. I think I have used the term "chew to liquid" and read it as well. For me I used this term I believe in the context that I was experiencing a lot of tightness. Not just in the early am but at the other meals as well. And yes, I had to get an unfill. I think it came from either the meals following the upchucking and severe pb'ing. Probably being a little swollen. I think it is more a "saying" than an actual abitlity "to do". And yes, I had to get the right kind of food down to get my Proteins in, I did not want to fall back on those foods we refer to as slider foods. So for now I no longer have to use that "process" at my meals. wonderful...

My diatition told me to chew-chew-chew until it was mush. I agrew completely with Dr. Vuoung because really- if you chew to the point that it's a mushy food that slips right through the band- why have the band? Now that said, I do chew more thoroughly than I used to, but I certainly don't chew to liquid or mush.

Well when I went in for my pre-op appointment I was told to chew to liquid which I did but of course the full feeling didnt come at all, I guess it went straight throught the band:bored:. Trying to swallow with that anyhow once your food gets to a point when its comletely chewed like that your tounge kinda acts like a windshield wiper and scoops the food to the back of your throat anyway so half of it is liquid and half is semi solid so what is the benefit. Anyhow mush chewing for me no more liquid calories glad I read the post and got the info :unsure:.

Thanks for the post!

Later, B.

Reading your advice has really calmed me down...I keep reading how people are barfing and sliming and all that ...and it has made me really nervous. I will be getting my first fill tomorrow and after reading your advice I have calmed down. Please keep them coming .

Yuck! Chew to liquid is disgusting! My goal is to try to live as normally as possible, eating a variety of foods, while maintaining a normal weight. I don't want to obsess on every aspect of eating, that's what got me here in the first place. I will take small bites and chew thoroughly. That should suffice!:thumbup:

My lapband blog

I was told to chew till it's very very mushy soft and very small bites. It takes time to get used to doing this but I savor the food much better and am satisfied much quicker. I still have a problem with some foods, if they are dry. I can't truly enjoy steak that much. But I have learned that I can chew it and then I spit it out. Just a few bites and I am satisfied. I get most of my Protein from chicken and cheese and I can do ground beef in small amounts. I also can eat tuna mixed with no fat mayo.< /p>

It's a whole new way of eating. I also can eat salads and do so a lot with grilled white meat chicken or tuna and no calorie dressing. :lol:

I've actually found that chewing slower has turned me off to many of my old favorites. Things I used to eat quickly and in quantity don't taste very good after you've been chewing it for quite some time. I realized that I never really experienced the food I was eating before the band.

I think Dr. V's post touches a little on a point that I do not see much discussion on here. There is a switch in practice when a newly banded person moves out of the post-op phase, and psychologically, that switch can be very confusing. At first you are guarding against damaging your newly-formed pouch and irritating your traumatized stomach.... then there's that moment when you have to eat the chunkier foods and let your pouch get full for a little while.

I doubt that I was alone in feeling torn in two during this time. Occasionally, I still feel conflicted about it. It is so hard to balance on that fine line between full/satisfied and uncomfortably ill. Then if you do get sick from a meal...you panic and baby the pouch again until you seem to be tolerating things again. Sometimes you never try that food again, and you are missing out. It just isn't something that you can learn from a manual or post-op instructions.

Anyway, I appreciate the post for pointing out that chewing to liquid is not reasonable and quite difficult to obtain. It would be helpful though if more-experienced bandsters and/or physicians/psychologists could share some advice or tips with newer bandsters on how to get over this mental hurdle -- this fear of damaging the pouch while you try different foods again after the post-op phase. It's discouraging when discomfort sets in and your first thoughts are, "Oh no, I broke it, stretched it too much, or slipped my band! What now?" How do you also get over the fear of trying a food again once it's caused you pain the first time? It's so hard to tell whether you've chewed something enough. I think the biggest challenge though is all in the mind.

Any ideas?