Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elective C-Section Poll

I have always considered asking my doctor for a c-section when I have children. Every aspect of the regular birth turns my stomach inside out haha. Just a poll to hear what others think.

I don't think having an elective c section is a good idea. People think it's no big deal, but it is major surgery. You are cut open. It takes you a longer time to heal. There are too many risks involved in having one expecially if you don't need it.

Plus every time you have surgery you develop adhesions and scar tissue. Then should you need some emergency or scheduled abdominal surgery -this could present a problem.

God planned for children to be born through the birth canal. It is the natural way and the best way. But if there is an emergency and for some reason having the baby that way will cause harm to the mother or the child, then of course a C- section is the answer.

I want to pick both answers!

I've had two c-sections. They weren't a big deal in a lot of ways, but my sleeve surgery was a walk in the park compared to them. It's definitely surgery and it's definitely healthier for the baby to have a vaginal birth.

Plus every time you have surgery you develop adhesions and scar tissue. Then should you need some emergency or scheduled abdominal surgery -this could present a problem.

Actually, where they cut you is nowhere near your abdomen. The main risk is with future pregnancies... the vaginal wall gets weak.

Plus the cut they do often results in you getting a noticeable panus, which sucks.

I voted no. Of course, now a days you can easily convince a doctor to give you one. If you heard some of the made up reasons doctors allow a section, it's ridiculous. C-sections but you at risk for abruptions and hemorrhage in future pregnancies. Not to mention, infection. I've seen women who have needed wound vacs from c-sections. I've even seen a woman who ended up in critical care after her section because her incision became infected with C-diff. Hospitals are dirty places! C-sections require you to stay longer, putting you at greater risk for getting an infection. Is it common? No, but the risk is there.

I've had both a vaginal birth and a c-section. Second baby was footling breach. Little sucker wouldn't turn for anything :thumbup: Let me tell you, you do not want a c-section. PAINFUL. I even had a 3rd degree tear with my vaginal delivery and I still recovered a million times faster than with the c-section. C-sections cut through the muscle thus it's common to have numbness and strange pain/needle type sensation for years after the surgery. I will tell you that having sex felt like someone was stabbing my guts with a knife for 6 months after I had my baby. And during all this you still have to get up and down taking care of a newborn and breastfeed. UGH.

MacMadame is right. There is an obvious difference in the appearance of your stomach after a c-section. My belly looked much better before the 2nd baby. The skin tends to hang over your incision.:rolleyes2:

Not to mention, the baby usually does better after a vaginal delivery. Traveling through the birth canal, squeezes alot of the Fluid out the babies' lungs. They tend to breathe much better and not require oxygen as often.

Edited by NurseMelly
Forgot to add about the baby

Actually, where they cut you is nowhere near your abdomen. The main risk is with future pregnancies... the vaginal wall gets weak.

Plus the cut they do often results in you getting a noticeable panus, which sucks.

This from the transcripts from the mayo Clinic on how they do c-sections:

Narrator: Once the anesthetic has taken effect, your abdomen will be prepped for delivery of your baby. Your doctor will make two incisions, one through your abdominal wall, and another into your uterus.

There are two types of abdominal incisions: vertical and horizontal. Vertical incisions are usually done only in an emergency, from just below your navel to just above the pubic bone.

Horizontal incisions are also called Pfannenstiel incisions, or more commonly, bikini incisions. The horizontal incision is made across the lower abdomen, near the pubic hairline. Bikini incisions are used in most C-sections because they typically heal well, the scar is not easily seen and they may cause less post-delivery discomfort. The initial incision is about 6 inches long and cuts through your skin, fat and muscle to get to the uterus, where your baby is. Your doctor uses a special knife that burns, or cauterizes, the tissues to help control bleeding

I've had 1 c-section out of 3 births and it was elective - but only in that we discovered at 38 weeks that she was breech. I had an xray pelvimetry and it showed I had enough room to deliver her. But my doc didnt want to try it and I personally am not so pro natural birth that I would want to risk it.

I was very tempted because I'm tall and have a wide pelvis but only have average 7 or 8 lb babies and my first 2 births were 3 hours, and 40 minutes respectively, both drug free and I didnt even think labour really hurt THAT much. So it was agonising to have to make the decision which there was a chance that even a breech birth would be easy for me.

Anyway, Eliza was delivered and she had a bit of trouble getting breathing, as c-section babies often do, spent a day in a humidicrib etc. And I can tell you, I would NEVER in a gazillion years voluntarily have a spinal or epidural again. It was a revolting experience, the closest feeling to being dead whilst you're still alive (your blood pressure can drop to nothing). Also they knocked the eipidural out of my back at some point after the birth and I had been stitched up but was having uterine contractions (stimulted by medication) and that HURT. And it took hours for anyone to figure it out, my ob was livid, and I never did get a bill from the anaesthetist.

But the birth was wonderful, magic, all the things my previous 2 were and I dont sit around six years later lamenting that I missed out on a natural birth. I also found recovering quite easy, although now I have hernias at each end of the scar that will need to be fixed one day.

But I wouldnt choose it unless there was a need. Natural birth is indescribable, its not something I would voluntarily miss experiencing.

I also FREAKED when I saw my stomach after, lol, yes, it had that little pannus. But for me, that went away entirely. However, I have strong suspicions about my sciatic problem being connected to my c-section.

However, I do believe strongly that its a woman's right to choose.

Edited by Jachut

I had my children natural, although it was painful, I perferred it over C-section. C-section sounds scarier to me.

Your abdomen does get cut....

It may technically still be your abdomen wall but it's down by your pubic area below your bikini line. It will not impact you if you have WLS or stomach cancer or anything else.

I know this because my bariatric surgeon said so as I've had two c-sections and, now, a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. The c-sections did not impact the sleeve in any way. My prior gallbladder surgery, OTOH...

I had 2 c sections with no labor. my daughter quit moving and was delivered c section 4 weeks early. They hospitalized me when I was pg with my son at 7 months and delivered him c section as soon as his lungs were developed.

I was thrilled to never have to go through labor. My C sections were easy to recover from and I am really glad I did not have to go through hours of labor. I don't feel like I missed a thing. My scars are hardly noticeable as they are in my hairline. My stomach is pretty flat and I don't need any plastic surgery from losing weight.

Well I went through labor for 40 hours with my second before I had my c-section. So I guess I got the worst of both worlds. :unsure:

If there hadn't been c-sections, my child would have died. So, nature be damned, I chose the c-section.

I had one, because my daughter was breech. They offered to turn her, but then after realizing the cord was positioned around her neck and turning would cause it to strangle her, they took that option off the table.

I had a c-section, and it was GREAT.

I was up and running within 3 days. I recovered very quickly, and very well. (Better from that than my lapband, actually.)

You know the argument that "natural" is the best way is really a weird thing to say anyway on this site. We all have had WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY, so how's this so different?

Choice is a great thing, and if the choice is offered I say go with what you think is right.

Edited by Gone4Now
put lapband and realized that others haven't had it...so changed it for the group. :)