Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you wake up with a tube in your throat?

Just curious if you wake up with the tube in your throat (you know,on TV,they say take a deep breath out...lol)??? I'm slightly closterphobic and it takes my breath away just to think about not being in control of my breathing...TIA!

You know, I had my surgery on tuesday and I distinctly recall not being able to breathe when I woke up and the sensation that they were taking the tube out. Yes you have one in when you're having surgery to help you breathe, overall it's a safety precaution, they do it with any surgery so don't be too worried

No, I think the surgical team takes out the tube well before you wake up in recovery. If it concerns you, then when you speak with the anesthesiologist prior to surgery, tell him/her the idea of the tube freaks you out and to make sure you don't come out from being under with the tube being in.

I told my anesth. that I had woken up cold after prior surgeries. That honey arranged for me to have 2 warmed blankets on top of me when I awoke -- that's the first thing I recalled, being snug and warm!!

I have had 2 surgeries in since July and I don't remember the tube been in either time.

The tube I woke with wasn't in my throat.......:wub:

It was removed :scared2: right after I woke and I didn't feel a thing.:lol:

The tube was gone before I woke up, but I do remember having an irritated scratchy throat. I thought I was getting sick, and kinda freaked out because I didn't want to have a cold through my recovery. But then when the nurse asked how my throat was feeling after the tube, I thought, "Oh duh!" I was happy there was no cold. :scared2:

Ive had more than my share of surgeries and I have never woken up with a tube IN. Now, I do have a memory (dream-like) of the tube being pulled out - I told the Dr. at my last surgery and the anesthesiologist said she would make sure I didn't remember this one. Just tell them that is something you are worried about and they will do what they can to make sure it is removed before you come totally awake.

Now, with that said - when I told the surgeon that I was worried about it he explained how sometimes it is necessary and sometimes they even put it in before surgery on EXTREMELY heavy/ill patients, then when he left the room, the anesthesiologist roller her eyes and told me not to worry about it that she would make sure I didn't remember anything. sigh, I loved her :-)

Edited by minpinmom

The tube is remove in the OR prior to you becoming fully awake. Yes, it is removes as you are waking up, but it is nothing you will remember. You will drift off asleep and then the next think you will realize is the nurse waking you up in recovery.

I actually woke up with the tube in. It was awful. I've never had surgery before and I think that they were talking to me like, "Everything went well...it's time to wake up". I opened my eyes and I could feel the tube in and it was like I couldn't breathe, but I knew that I could, but if felt as if I wasn't getting in air. But it only lasted brief moments as they must have given me more meds and I was out again. It was so fast, but I do remember it and I do remember NOT liking that feeling.

GL!