Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not yet banded...so many questions and very nervous!

:grouphug:I have had my initial consultation as well as a few other appointments. I have read so much of the information available, but I think I really need to hear from everday people who have had the procedure done. I would like someone other than a "promoter" of the surgery to answer my questions before I leap! Would any of you mind sharing your experiences (good and bad) with me? Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Laurie

What specifically would you like to know? The lap band impacts a lot of things; it would help to narrow it down! :grouphug:

I am not banded yet. I do have surgery date!!! Question for anyone how do u get those cute things under your post that track your weight???

I once was very nervous but work with someone who had it done 3months ago, she is doing great but slow with the weight lose. Do research and this website I have found much with people who have gone through the process. For me I hope this will give me the edge to lose the weight for good. Hope I helped.

I was banded on Dec. 3, 2008. Boy there is a lot of misinformation out there. I've met with two different surgeons and both gave different info.

I have applied what works best for me. No drinking 15 minutes before, during and 1 hour after eating. I don't like the Protein shakes so I eat a Protein Bar for Breakfast - Snickers Marathon Bars. I usually eat whatever for lunch and dinner with a focus on Protein - chicken, fish and even a sandwich now and then. I tear some of the bread off. 3 oz of protein and fill in with cooked veggies. I try to get at least 65g of protein. drinks include Crystal Light and water/lemon Water, minimum of 64 oz. a day. I will snack on cheese, vegies or nuts between meals but I usually don't get hungry enough to care. I eat about 1000-1200 calories a day. No candy, ice cream or general junk food.

Exercies...walk, anything. Just keep moving. It burns calories. More calories burned...more weight lost.

Surgery was for the most part easy. Struggled with the Protein Shakes but I got through it. Recovery softs were Soups and mashed potatoes, egg salad. I was fine with it. I had some pain a day or so after surgery. It was from the gas they used during surgery. Gas-X fixed that.

Oh...I'm down 80 lbs. I would do it again in a second. I feel great. I went from size 46 to 38 pants and 3x to large shirts. It's nice to buy clothes at Old Navy and Aero that fit and are stylish.

If you have any questions I will more then happy to answer. Good luck!

Brian

Well, I'm hearing different things from people who have different doctors as to the "diet" which needs to be followed. I am worried that I am going to learn what to and not to eat the hard way! I was told only 1/4 cup of food at a time, only 3 meals a day with absolutely no snacking, and that whole grains may not be tolerated by some people. Also, what would you say is your daily caloric intake? I don't understand how one can get enough calories from a 1/4 cup of Protein and veggies only 3 times a day. I'm also wondering about the not drinking with food thing. Is it because it will make you sick or just that it washes the food through? I do apologize if some of my questions seem silly. I have only gone to a seminar, had my initial consultation with the surgeon, and an appointment with the dietician. I suppose I have a lot to learn.

Thank you all for helping me out!

Each surgeon seems to have his or her own way of directing their patients, both pre- and post-op. Once you find a surgeon you like and trust your safest course is to....TRUST that surgeon! Do what s/he says! They have different styles, different techniques, and they know what works for THEIR patients. Never take something you read here over what your doctor tells you!

So you can see that your questions are only going to raise more until you pick your doc. Generally, you need to follow their instructions to the letter preop and post op (for the healing period). 6 months down the road, one year down the road...how you eat will largely be up to you. You will decide how tight (how filled) is "just right" FOR YOU and you will decide what you can and can't eat. SOME people have problems with white bread, white chicken, stringy beef. Some like to be so tight that they almost can't eat, but that tight can lead to slips and erosion. You'll decide.

I guess it's like "being in love". Until you're there and you feel it it is hard to describe! :scared2: You'll figure it out. Again...just pick a surgeon you trust, and you'll do fine!

I agree with restlessmonkey. Doctors are all different. from pre op diet to post op diet. some will give you large fills and some small. it is what works best for their patients. Listen to what people have to say hear but follow you doctors orders. My doctor wants clear liq X2, then 2 days fulls then back on solids after a fill or docs you can get that night. By doc is more the slow goer. I got my 1st fill after 4 month, i just got to 6 months and still no more fills because i am still losing every month. Month 5 i lost 14lbs then month 6 i lost 4. he asked what i thought about getting a fill but he said he thought we should wait. I agreed. it was a slow month but i still lost. or doc would have given me a fill no questioned ask. Go with someone you trust. then trust in the choices. They know what works for patients. Good luck:thumbup: