Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Husband and wife both banded.

HI! Are there any husband and wife teams out there? I was banded with the Realize band on April 26, 2009 and am down 22 pounds as of this morning. My wife also was banded on April 19,2009 ,also with the Realize band, and is down 13 pounds and lots of inches! We go in together on May 31 for our first fills. It is great to have the support in our eating and exercising.

what a great support team you have going!! My daughter had hers done 2/08 (85 lbs, now a size 8 and going for PS.) So she's my support and at least I've seen the ups and downs (many more ups than downs).

Good for you guys!!

Trisha

HI! Are there any husband and wife teams out there?.

i was banded the same day as my husband in oct '07.

he is down 95lbs and me 70 - both in maintenance mode right now. it was great to have gone through this w/each other.....made it much easier w/diet & exercise.

all the best!

Seems to me that the support of family and friends is very important. Without support I would probably give up. My wife gets discouraged because I am losing at a faster rate, but thats the way it always works. Men are lucky I guess. Our doctor wouldn't band us both on the same day in case there were any complications, but one week apart isn't bad.

It sure feels good to already have to put a shirt away because it is to big. It's hard for me to understand to big, I'm so used to my clothes being to small!! We plan on donating our clothes as soon as we shrink out of them so that we can't go back. I can't wait to say that I am in maintenance mode! 76 pounds to go:rolleyes2:

My wife gets discouraged because I am losing at a faster rate, but thats the way it always works. Men are lucky I guess.

oh i can write the book on that.

dh only needed 3 fills - me 8.

he got to goal w/in 6-7 months - that's when i FINALLY started to lose. we're pretty competitive w/each other & our surgeon told us early on that he would see success sooner and not to give up ..... so i didn't.

we were banded the same day & it's true what they say on this forum, no 2 experiences seem to be the same. that's very true in our household. he can't eat much before 3pm, i wake up starving. i have no issues w/any foods - he can't do breads/pasta/stringy meat. he might set foot in the gym once a wk - i'm there 5/6 times....CRAZY you men have it easy...LOL:)

I'm going to get my wife to read your post when she gets home. Right now she says that she can eat almost as much as before the band. Myself, I am satisfied with just a very small serving or I get stuffed. I ate some dry tuna the other day and I think I almost found out what stuck means, it just stopped and I felt some pressure. I looked around and almost felt a little panic. I took a little sip of Water and it went down. A great reminder for me to chew chew chew. Thanks for your encouragement!!

Wife and I have went through most of the process together. I was just banded on May 11 and she will be banded on June 1. Your right about it being a great support system. We learn from each other and now she gets to watch me go through the process about 2 weeks ahead of her.

DH and I are both banded, but we were dont about 2.5 years apart. I was already at goal when he was banded, so it hasnt really made much difference to me one way or another.

I dont know that we "support" each other that much - talk each other into eating chocolate is more like it hehehe. We're having entirely different journeys.

DH is much more the "I just want to get healthy, no matter what weight that is" type and I'm the more Type A driven I'm going to get REALLY skinny and REALLY fit type.

Consequently DH talks a lot about exercise and I actually do it. I tried to be supportive of him and fit my running in in the mornings to walk with him in the evenings but he kept letting me down, makign excuses not to go. I'd get dressed to run on a Saturday morning and he'd say "oh, I thought we were going to walk" which would infuriate me because he had piked all week and then suddenly he'd make me feel bad for running coz he'd planned to walk!

So I no longer consider him in my exercise plans, apart from the odd walk. If he wants to keep up with me, travel to do runs with me etc then he is going to have to get HIMSELF up to that stage first. Its not my responsibility to baby and cajole him into fitness.

We also have completely different eating styles. He was always the type that if he was going to eat poorly it'd be ten beers and a huge bag of McDonalds poor whereas I would never have pigged out on McDonalds, ever! I'm more the if you sneak a bit of chocolate in standing looking into the pantry it doesnt count coz you werent sitting down and nobody saw you do it type of eater. Lol. I just did that 1000 times a day and that's how I got fat. Eating gutloads of Maccas was never my thing.

But nonetheless, we do give each other some emotional support in that we both know what its like to be banded, and we work our family around it. And we're both cheering each other on of course. I wont say we're rooting for each other because that means something ENTIRELY differnet in australia, lol.

My wife and myself were both banded 05/15/2009, I was first that morning and she was third, we been threw the whole process together, even our appts. are together.

Our first fill is 6/17, I have lost 35 lbs. and she has lost 22 lbs., the best thing is the loose clothes and the smaller size we can fit into. The best thing is the support we give each other, even working out at the gym. Best of luck to you both and keep on losing the weight.

Your Friends From Richmond, Va.

Hi everyone, my name is Ed and I'm new to this site. My wife and I are scheduled to be banded on July 1st. I feel that with each others support we should do good. I must admit though that I'm a little apprehensive about the surgery. I know that It's pretty safe but of course you worry. What was some of your worries that turned out to be a waste of energy. My wife is blind so I'll be preparing most of our menus. Any suggestion or pointers you'd like to share? I'll keep you informed how things go.

Hi Ed and welcome to the site. Your apprehension is not unusual. The wife worried about more items than I did but only because she had not had surgery before. For both of us, any worries would of been just waisted energy. Wife did well with the surgery, it was just the anesthesia that upset her stomach and kept her really sleepy. I had not issues was in and out in 6 hours and even mowed grass 4 days later.

I believe you will hear about more complaints of things gone wrong just because it's the nature of the beast. People are naturally going to post more about issues and trying to find out more information. Read and educate yourself but don't let these cause you to have fear. A majority of people go through this with out a lot of issues.

The wife and I have 3 weeks difference between our surgeries which worked well. At least one of us was able to help out the other that first week. Exercise has been a little difficult for us together. Because I was first, I can naturally do more than her right now because I have recovered sooner. So I have had to adjust my exercise routine to do things through the day with out her and then go at her pace in the evening. We didn't think or plan about this too much but it is working out well and she will soon be caught up with me.

Best of luck! We both feel it has been one of the greatest things we have done. I hope all goes well with you and your wife.

Hi Ed! My wife and I were banded 1 week apart. Best thing we ever did. I was really scared about surgery, it was my first. Surgery was a piece of cake, over real fast. Buy lots of flavors of Protein drinks, we prefer Syntrax nectar, they have lots of flavors but you just have to see what you like. Check your doctors post op food list and buy lots of stuff before surgery. Get everything you can in advance so that your post op energy is spent on recovering. Don't be a bonehead like me and try to over do things! Pay attention to peoples success stories, and be encouraged. We both took off from work 1 week.

Good luck to both of you! You both will do great!:)