Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 14th Surgery Stories

Hi All:

My sister and I are 2 days post-op. All went well except we both had to have HH repairs. We got to the hospital at 9:00AM and my sister's surgery was at 11:00. Her's went very smoothly and she was in her room by 3:00. I was called back for prep at 11:30 and surgery was at 1:30. All went well except they did not have a room for me. I was very patient but I finally got anxiety and became very upset/angry :wub::lol:. Keep in mind I've been in this gurney and room for 11 hours and no one helped me get up to walk or go to the restroom. I was just laying there. A room finally opened up right next to my sisters and it's was a VIP room and they gave it to me. I was finally in a room at 10:00 PM.

We are both doing well except I'm having bouts of gas pains (I assume) in my neck area. They come in spasm and it starts in my chest and radiates and wraps around my neck. These take my breath away. My sister is complaining of the shoulder pain.

We are on clear liquids/broth/protein drinks/SF popsicles and sorbet as well as Jello. We are having a hard time with meeting the Protein requirment. With only being allowed 4-6 ozs. I feel like I have to sip the shakes all day to get it all in. How are you all managing this?? I would appreciate any feedback.

Sorry this was so long. With all this said I am excited to be on the way to a new and healthier me. I still can't believe I did this but it's comforting to know we are all going through this together. GOOD LUCK TO US ALL.:scared2:

Hello everyone,

I too was banded on 5/14. I got to the hospital at 8am and was scheduled for 10. They began prepping me at 9:30...blood work, blood pressure, temp, circulation stockings...ect. Around 10 they wheeled me to the OR. I gave my husband a kiss goodbye and that's when it hit me. I started crying and got really scared. They took me to the OR which is a long blue cold hallway. I laid there for 20 minutes alone until someone came out to get me. I was wheeled in and had to slide into the bed. I then made my doctor promise me that I would wake up. Once he promised I felt better. The last thing I remember was the mask over my face. I woke up in recovery and I felt like CRAP. I had to cough so bad but my incisions hurt so bad. They gave me pain meds which knocked me out. I then went into a regular room for about 2 hours and they let me go home.

Since I've been home I've been having a hard time breathing. I actually feel the band when I take deep breathes. I called the dr and he told me it's to be expected because it touches the diaphram. It got so painful I called back today and they made me come into the hospital for some tests. They wanted to rule out slippage so I had to take the barrium test. DISGUSTING!! you drink a nasty tasting liquid while they watch it go down via an xray machine. I took lots of blood and a few regular xrays and Thank God everything is ok. I'm still very uncomfortable but I hope that will go away soon. Does anyone else feel their band when they breath?

Thanks for the gets better every day. I could use that about now.

Hi 10x2010, I totally felt the band, all the time and had problems breathing, which made everything hurt more. I am 9 days out and feel much better. The port site is the only thing I feel. Breathing fine. The feeling of the band is because your stomach is swollen and you can feel the band. Once the swelling goes down, and it will, you won't feel it. Good luck!!!

Hi everyone - I was banded on May 13th so I'll post here so as not to need my own date.

I've had a hard time with this - I started getting dry heaves on day two which really scared me and then on day 4 ended up in the ER dehydrated and with a fast heart rate. Day 5 has me freaking out about beeing dehydrated again so I can't sleep thinking about drinking drinking drinking. Now I also have diarehhea.

I just wish I would have known how hard this was going to be. My center and surgeon said it would be a breeze and I'd only need Tylenol for the pain. Ha

Still dry heeving today but not as bad - mostly seems like PB with a little extra.

I'll write more as I can later. Sorry to be so down - I lost it in the hospital last night after my 4th IV. Just cried and cried.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

I am so sorry you have had such a rough time. I really really hope it gets better for you! I can't believe how different the experience has been from person to person. I guess it's kind of like childbirth! :laugh:

I am so sorry you have had such a rough time. I really really hope it gets better for you! I can't believe how different the experience has been from person to person. I guess it's kind of like childbirth! :laugh:

I had super easy childbirths, so I guess this is my payback, lol!

Hang in there Jennifer. I do totally relate to what you're going through. Mine's been less than easy, too. I'm still even taking meds pretty much around the clock for pain. Thankfully after 2 days of anti-nausea meds in the hospital that seems to be mostly over. I do still have moments, but I find it's more often if I haven't had anything in my stomach a while. So I try to keep something on-hand to sip. And if you get sick to death of chicken broth, try beef. It's been a nice change!

I really would have broken down and cried already if I wasn't in so much pain. It's a very frustrating, scary feeling. My arms look like I've been in a war, and I lost. The brusing from failed IV attempts is almost as bad as my incisions. Hang in there, and try to stay hydrated as best you can.

Remember, it's okay to cry! This is a big change, and you've just had major surgery! It's also possible to be depressed afterwards from the anesthesia and all the recovering your body is going through. Lean on those around you, and definitely post here whenever you need to. *hugs!*

ETA: Something that I just remembered! I was having a really rough day a few days ago and my health insurance health nurse/coach called and totally made me feel better. I talked to her for 45 minutes and we went over everything that happened with my surgery. She had some ideas that I hadn't though of, and of course had some medical experience and insight to lend. So if that's something your health insurance offers, take advantage of it! It's usually a free phone call, and sometimes it's just nice to be able to vent to an educated outsider to get perspective again.

Edited by GonnaRide
brain fart

Sorry it took so long for me to post, I've had a rough few days. I was banded on May 14th. I also had a "large" hiatal hernia repair. The only time I've had the gas pain was on the airplane home. My biggest surprise was the pain in my belly (I assume port site pain). I wasn't expecting to be in that amount of pain, it was intense. The hydrocodone does relieve it. I was able to switch to regular Tylenol today, so it's getting better. I can feel my band too, it's such a strange feeling. I'm glad to hear that will go away. I've been able to consume 2 Protein Shakes a day plus all the other full liquids. I'm happy to say, I'm not hungry at all so far. I'm so glad I have the hard part behind me. One day at a time to a new me :laugh: