Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I'm considering lap band surgery in August or September, and I'm just starting with all the preliminary stuff. Do any of you have an ICD (implantable cardioversion defibrillator)? I just wondered if there was any advise you might give me that will ease my mind a little. I haven't had any problems with firings or anything for almost 7 years, but I can't help but wonder what a procedure like this might do to change the status quo.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

I think I'd want to talk to my cardiologist about something as serious as that. You have to have cardiac clearance to have the surgery, so why not go ahead and talk to that doctor now rather than later?

I don't know personally. However I'd think that your surgeon would want to work with your cardiologist and the anesthesiologist to make sure everything's copacetic! If they all give the green light, though, then you should be good to go! And of course the surgery would be, as far as I know, the only time it would be an issue!

I was banded 2/10/09. Although I do not have an ICD I am a heart attack survivor. On 7/29/07 I had a heart attack, went into cardiac arrest, and had angioplasty. There was some perminant damage to my heart as a result of this but my surgery went beautifully. Of course everyone's situation is different the program I went through would not even consider me for the surgery without a cardiac clearance. My cardiologist did a cardiac cathaterization to confirm that there were not problems brewing. He had to send a letter to the medical director of the program clearing me for surgery.

The surgeon requested another letter stating it was ok for me to stop taking the blood thinner Plavix 1 week prior to surgery. However I was allowed to stay on a baby aspirin. Now until I can resume my plavix (they cannot be crushed and there's no liquid alternative) I take 4 chewable aspirin daily. My surgeon ordered the cardiac anesthesiologist for my case and had the cardiac team on standby in case of any problems which there were none. I'm sure your cardiologist will know exactly what to do to make sure you're safe for surgery. Best of luck!

Thank you for your replies and advice. I'll be seeing my cardiologist next month for a check up and clearance for the lap band surgery. I'm sure that it won't be a problem. My ICD placement was not due to a heart attack; it's more of a precaution since I suffered a sudden cardiac arrest after a viral illness.

I guess one of my main questions is that do any of you feel or see your port, especially after you've lost considerable weight? An ICD is in a pocket of muscle below my collarbone, but even now (with my extra weight) it is noticeable. It isn't anything that I'm worried about, just curious.

Thanks again.

Huskergirl

The Realize band has a low profile port that doesn't really show as long as it's placed well. The lap band port MAY show but as my doc said, it's hard to find it under all the fat (he was MUCH nicer about it but that was the gist) and that once I lost a lot he could switch to a low profile one if the one I have now is a problem.