Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't let this happen to you...

My surgery was cancelled 3 days before my surgery date. My doctor's office assured me that I would be approved by my insurance company. I was doing all my pre-op, went to all my appts and all the tests the insurance company required. I would have stood on my head, had they asked me.

Insurance denied(I haven't been heavy enough, for enough time), surgery canceled. I told the doctor's office that I would self pay. To save me $9000, they said I should consider out patient so they put me on a waiting list for an out patient. Then communication stopped from the doctor's office.

I have called and called and begged for a return phone call from my doctor's office. When I do get the person who does the scheduling, he acts like I'm being a big pain.

Why does the doctor's office act like it's not a big deal that the surgery was canceled?

I had everything planned around this surgery. I don't take having surgery lightly, and they act like, oh well, it happens all the time. We just have to re-schedule.

Maybe not a big deal to them, but it is to me. I had my surgery date since March and now I wait.

My advice, check with your insurance company to make sure you meet the weight requirements. Don't depend on the doctor's office to know. Don't depend on the doctor's office to be sympathetic, should you be denied. You will only end up disappointed, as I am now.

Have you checked other surgeons in your area? They can obtain (legally) your records from surgeon A and maybe get on with your surgery. I would be really TICKED if I were treated that way. The "aftercare" is as important, or more so, than the band itself and if this is the service you get, maybe it's a big old red flag.

My doc's office handled my insurance for me and I was approved in under 48 hours, and logically self pay should be moved through MORE quickly because the doc doesn't have to wait on ins.

I don't know the whole story of course but think you're being given the runaround. Don't trust yourself to this bozo; find a better doc

Not only check into a new doctor but go to obesitylaw.com and see if one of the attorneys can advise you on if the required weight issue can be worked around. They only charge if you have them represent you but will answer questions. They also won't tell you to have them represent you unless they think they can win. They are VERY good at this. Good luck.

I went to Mexicali for my surgery. Self pay $7,000. The care was better then here in the US. I say my surgeon, asst. surgeon and internist 4 times/day they came to check on me. Surgery is inpatient (2 night stay) at Almater Hospital (state of the art facility) The price even includes all fills and hotel stay and transportation. I will admit I was nervous about going to Mexico for surgery but I knew three other people who did and raved about it. I feel great!

Here is the link if you want to check it out:

Untitled Document

My insurance would have covered this 95% but there was too much red tape and would have taken 1 1/2-2 years to have it done and I was ready.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent and thanks for the advice.

I blame the office staff for not following through. I finally got through to them, that I was serious and that I was willing to shell out a lot of money for this.

Anyway, good news, they finally scheduled me for next week!