Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chronic vomiting and the band

Approaching my 2 year bandaversary and just had my band completely unfilled due to complications.

I reached goal 1 year ago but kept losing. When I got 10 pounds below I went for an unfill (not all, but some). Then another unfill (little bit more for ease).

Since then my weight was stable at 136-140 pounds. My life fell apart in October 08 after my best friend-Mother passed away, then my oldest two left home for the military in November and then January...so having gastrointestinal issues is no surprise. Even other family members were having 'issues' (vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, etc) But mine continued. So October 08 was my last meal (that I kept down)

I lost more weight and found 125 showing on the scales, my bones were showing thru my skin-my ribs looked horrible. I was often tired and fainted a few times.

But I had not found a doctor since moving across country so I was making plans to go to Mexico for an unfill....next month. A family member said it didn't look like I'd make it til next month so I went to the ER.

I'm a veteran so this is the VA. The first ER doctor scoffed at me after seeing in my records that I had the band in Mexico 2 years ago. Then after labs came back they IV'd me and started the potassium infusion. They were admitting me.

What have I done? Was my thoughts. I bet my band slipped or something horrible had happened and I just totally ignored it. How stupid I felt.

The xrays showed my band but I recommended a barium swallow (the VA had never even seen a band much less treated one). The radiologist gave me this white powder that was to expand my stomach. I gently reminded him that I was blocked and that the powder wouldn't make it to the stomach....he said go ahead and swallow it quickly- I did and immediately foamed it up. He did the barium and said nothing is getting thru.

He commented that my surgeon did a great job because the band is exactly where it is supposed to be and there is no slippage or any other issue- it's simply too tight.

Relief! They sent me to a civillian doc who had never done adjustments but was a radiologist in a cardio unit who has done ports for other implants....after using his needle I recommended the butterfly, the small one.

1.2 cc was removed. I ate my first meal of bananna, of course, wheat thins, cheese, pinapple juice.< /p>

I slept like a baby! First time since my mother passed away. I was literally starving to death.

Today I had apple juice, more wheat thins, cheese, bananna w/ Peanut Butter. I did lose some of that- but I guess I need to take it easy over the next few days.

But wow! I've learned this:

when you are banded, always have a good doctor by your side. Moving? Then when you look for a house/job/whatever....be looking for a lapband doc, too. It's that important.

Well, I'm totally on my own now- no more relying on restriction. I gave up my Mt. Dew and vow to not ever drink sodapop again (let's see how this works out).

Thanks everyone for all your support.

Yes, a complete unfill. I gained 2 pounds just by digesting a banana, cheese, juice and some wheat thins.

I know I've got to be very careful as weight can creep back up on me. Weightloss is easy- it's keeping it off that worries me.

So, I'm at 128 pounds today and feel GREAT!

I had a very simular problem band was too tight had an adjustment and was able to drink and eat again, but still had no energy couldn't evan walk Walmart. My pcp did blood work and found I had a Vitamin D and folic acid deficiency. Its been about a month now and the scale says I put on 18 pounds I know I'm eating but not that much. Any ideas on why I would gain so much????????

Wow......I'm sure both of you are struggling. Your bodies are probably hanging onto every calorie thinking you were in "starvation mode".

Not having been there as far as the bad problems, I really can't offer advice, but am rooting for you. I would think that getting plenty of exercise and eating "healthy" might help you, but like I said, I'm in the dark on this one.

This might be a good time to join a group such as Weight Watchers or other support system that requires weekly weigh ins, etc. Controlling your appetite will be the hard part.

Keep us posted.

I'm a little over a year post-band and am maintaining, but not really losing (but would like to lose 5-7 more just for some play room). But, am at goal weight and am very very happy with how I look etc.

I do worry about issues with the band that would require an un-fill or removal, but try to dont dwell on those possibilities. Gotta keep on keeping on.

Hope things work out for both of you!

I am disappointed with my lap band. Constant vomiting- uncomfortable-just want it out. I have the band for 2 AND HALF YEARS AND LOST 40 POUNDS AND NOW NOTHING..i am very uncomfotable- and upset and want this THING out. Everthing keeps coming up. Went to surgeon and will be taking it out soon. Has anyone had this removed? How do you feel?

Thanks

Nancy

Edited by nancylabels
wanted to add notes

I am disappointed with my lap band. Constant vomiting- uncomfortable-just want it out. I have the band for 2 AND HALF YEARS AND LOST 40 POUNDS AND NOW NOTHING..i am very uncomfotable- and upset and want this THING out. Everthing keeps coming up. Went to surgeon and will be taking it out soon. Has anyone had this removed? How do you feel?

Thanks

Nancy

You can join the rest of us here:

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery (VSG) AKA Gastric Sleeve (NEW!) - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

Band intolerance is not fun, not fun at all. There are quite a few of us, come join us. You don't have to be interested in another procedure to come and vent with those that will totally understand what you are writing about.

Yes, I had mine removed and that was the very best thing I have done for myself in years.

Just an update:

4 days since unfill and I feel great. I didn't realize how sick I was until I got the potassium infusion and hydrated and then started to eat again.

I have so much energy, there is a spring in my step. I gained 5 pounds in 3 days but lost one already- my body was so dehydrated. I'm at 129 pounds....let's see if I can maintain this weightloss.

5 days without Mt. Dew