Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused with portion sizes

I'm 2 and a half weeks post-op and started solids a couple of days ago. I've been eating a lot less than I used to. I have not yet felt uncomfortable with the amount I've eaten.

Today I went to see the dietician for the first time and she told me to stop eating when I am no longer hungry. Today I followed her instructions and discovered that technically, it only takes me probably 6 or so small bites to no longer be hungry! I had been eating more than that before I went to see her, but like I said, never to the point of feeling fullness or uncomfortableness.

Even though I'm not hungry after 6 or so small bites, I could keep going, without exceeding a fullness sensation. Given that, should I keep going or not The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if such a small amount is enough or even healthy. I don't want to underfeed or deprive my body either.

Also, it feels horrible to swallow solids right now. Some of the food feels like its going down a tight gurgler and then all of a sudden I literally feel slip! and down it goes. Is this normal? My surgeon put some Fluid in my band during the surgery. If it keeps up should I be getting an un-fill for my first fill? :)

Six bites is probably too little a portion. You should be able to have at least 1/4-1/2 cup of food. Think of your portion like the size of your palm, it should fill that up.

If you're having a weird or tight feeling with solids, try diluting them a little bit, maybe they are a little dry going down. As long as you don't have anything stuck or coming back up at this point, you should be okay. After I get a fill, I tend to feel pressure and get gurgling sometimes and it usually subsides within two days. It's all just a learning process, but it sounds like you're doing great!

There's no way that on six bites you're getting the minimum of 60 grams of Protein per day. I was told to prepare my meal with about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of food: 3 oz of protein (looks to be about the same size as a deck of cards), a serving of steamed or raw vegetables. If, after you eat that, you are still hungry after 15 minutes, it's okay to eat a small serving of whole grain carbs. I drink a Protein Shake in the morning because it's convenient, but I've been told to stop because I need solid protein. And the logic works. I get plenty of protein in that shake BUT it's liquid and it doesn't stay in the band, so I'm hungry in a couple of hours. If I eat "real" food instead, I don't get hungry so fast.

Ok so my doctor didn't allow me to eat solids for several weeks after surgery. I had 2 weeks of clears, 2 weeks of full liquids, 2 weeks of mushies and finally on to solids. Your stomach needs to heal! Don't push your boundries with the amount you can eat right now you could be harming yourself.