Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is that possible!? I do not feel as if my lap-band has worked...EVER! I am almost 9 months post-op and have never once vomited, gotten food stuck or even felt any type of restriction. I lost 40 lbs from pre-op liquid diet through 3 months post-op and have put 20 lbs back on. All as a result of the prescribed diet, not because I ever really felt full or over-full. My band has 9cc's in it now and I can eat a large, pre-op-type meal. I have spoken with my doctor and he doesn't seem to get it. I don't understand how this is possible. Anybody ever hear of this or know what could be wrong? I am afraid of being that girl who had weight-loss surgery and is still fat!

If you have 9ccs and feel nothing, I would probably request a fill under fluro. Does your dr pull out the Fluid each time to check the level? When was your last fill? If it has been a month or more, go get another and see if it helps.

I know everyone is different, but I can't IMAGINE being almost to capacity and feel nothing. Good luck. I know it must be discouraging to go through this and then feel like you haven't been helped at all. Try to stick it out until you find out what is wrong.

i am very sorry. i can only imagine how frustrating this is for you. does he do fills under fluroscope? some times when they do fills under fluroscope it can give them an idea of how fast liquids are passsing through your band or if maybe your stomach puch has stretched or maybe if your band has slipped. how much does your band hold as far as a fill goes? maybe even see about finding another doctor to do fills for a second opinion.

Thank you for your quick responses! I had 2 fills, one under fluro and another in the office. My first fill was 7 cc's and yes, my doctor pulled it out first, almost in disbelief that my first fill was so much and I was already complaining that I wasn't getting any restriction. I was told that my band has a max capacity of 10 cc's and it currently has 9 cc's in it. I am discouraged that if I am almost to my maximum, what will I do after that? Something must not be right but I don't know what. I am not having any pain...I never have. My first fill, done under fluro, didn't indicate any slippage or streching of the pouch. My last fill was in February and I have stalled calling the doctor back because he truly doesn't seem to understand that I am so serious. In addition, I lost my job and health benefits at the beginning of this year so it will be difficult to return to the hospital for the fluro.

When he put the second fill in, did he remove all the first fill? You may very well have a leak.

9 cc's in a 10 cc band should be providing you SOMETHING. I don't understand how your doctor can NOT understand. Is he a moron? (ok semi joke there sorry)

And does he HAVE to do it under flouro? Mine doesn't thank God...too pricey. As his NP says, he put it in there, he knows where it is.

ANYWAY with the gain your doc should KNOW something is wrong. Go demand some help. If he won't, get your records and go to another doc.

This is horrible...I am exactly 2 weeks post op and the only time I had any restriction was the first 3-4 days which were so full of pain, I couldnt even think of food. So I lost 12 lbs. Now, I've gained back at least 4lbs and I feel no restriction what so ever.....Is this normal??

This is horrible...I am exactly 2 weeks post op and the only time I had any restriction was the first 3-4 days which were so full of pain, I couldnt even think of food. So I lost 12 lbs. Now, I've gained back at least 4lbs and I feel no restriction what so ever.....Is this normal??

Yes it is VERY normal. The first 6 weeks are for HEALING, not losing. And for some it takes a while to get to the proper fill level. Proper restriction makes a world of difference, but the NP in my doc's office says it takes some people up to 6 months or more to get that good spot.

So be nice to yourself and remember it is a lifestyle, not a diet. It takes a while to heal, get to the right restriction, and learn the new way to eat!

AND don't eat ahead of the post op diet your doc has given you; you may be starved but stick with it. It's to protect your band and again allow for healing.

Thank you so much for replying. That really does make me feel better. Now what about the swelling? How long does it take for the swelling to go down? I truly wish I could go straight into my docs office now and demand a fill! lol....I just dont like feeling hungry all the time...isnt that what the bad if for?? I'm eating food that I normally ate, except this time...I get that aweful feeling that tells me I better cut it out~ lol.

The swelling around your stomach from your band should be gone, but other abdominal swelling can take 3 weeks or so!

And is it OK for you to eat now? Week 2 I was just getting to move from liquids to mushies...is that where you are?

I don't think any of us really like to feel hungry (unless in a perverse way because it means you are dieting or whatever) ... that's one reason it took me a long while to start losing once I was through the post op diet phase. I could and did eat too much. NOT as much as preband, but too much to lose. However now that I'm finally restricted, I stay full longer. I do still have a snack issue that I wrestle with (I keep telling myself NO! as if i were a stubborn toddler or something LOL)

Anyway Hang in there. It will happen.

it could have a leak. It's man-made and you know things can go wrong. If it were me I'd have the doc w/draw it and SHOW ME the 9 ccs. What's happening to you is very rare; he should be trying to figure it out instead of blowing you off.