Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 3/12 and have lost a total of 27 pounds since I began my pre-op diet on 2/23. I had my first fill of 3cc on 4/13 and lost a few pounds that first week but I’ve lost nothing since then. I definitely feel like I have some restriction with some foods but not as much with others. For instance I struggle to get grilled chicken down (and some of it often comes back up) but I can eat an entire taco salad with no problems! Although reluctant, I started tracking my calories on thedailyplate.com and I am averaging 1,500 calories per day (I am male, 6’2” 270 pounds) which includes roughly 100 grams of daily Protein. I engage in moderate exercise (I chase two kids around that are both under 3, evening walks with the family and I mow my yard weekly). I have a weight goal of 250 by the end of June (which is just 2.5 pounds per week) but I am thinking that may not be realistic at this point.

What do I need to do to jump start this weight loss? Do I need more protein or just patience? Is my body in shock, holding on to what it can? For Breakfast I typically have a Protein Shake. For lunch I typically have half a sandwich with some chips and a low cal pudding. For dinner I typically get most of my calories with a sensible meal and usually a little dessert afterward. I can’t imagine why I would not be losing weight on only 1,500 calories per day…or am I still getting too many calories? Are any of you noticing that you are only able to eat 4 to 6 ounces of food, which is equivalent to filling a baby food jar? I feel that I am able to eat far more than that with most meals. I appreciate the feedback.

Well there is a combination of things it looks like. You need to eat most of your calories during the day, not at night. Starting with a good Breakfast to get the metabolism going. Depending on the shake you are using you may not be getting enough am calories to do this. Try adding a banana or other fruit with your shake in the am, or add yougurt, and fruit and blend to smoothie consistency. The thing with being banded is that you are supposed to make all of your food work for you, and most all food needs to be good choices and keep it to 3 meals a day if at all possible, that means Snacks and desert need to go. chips, desert, and that kind of thing are empty calories with no nutritional bonuses. You have only had one fill so you are probably not at your sweet spot yet, but most doctors I have researched recommend 1000-1200 calories for paitients once they are able to eat normal food again. Also if you are not measuring your food and getting real caloric values you may be getting more calories than you think so try that too. And my last 2 cents worth is that you will hit plateaus with this process, where you have no weight loss and then bam 2-3 lbs go at once. So hang in there.

27 Pounds is great!

I know the frustration of thinking you should have lost more, and also not feeling fully restricted.

You have definately cut back on your foods, but I am not sure your food choices are completely wise. No pun intended ( wise) get rid of the chips, and the pudding and eat the whole sandwich, not the half. Also, as hard as it may be, cut those Desserts out every night - perhaps you can have one once a week.

As you lose more you will probably have more energy and it would be a good time to kick up the walking, maybe increase it to power walking or a longer walk.

Have patience, it can take several fills to get you to your sweet spot.

Good luck!

I agree with what some of the others are telling you but if you dont mind i will add a little more info. You say you do a walk with the family. is that a stroll or are you getting your heart beat up. if you are just out with the family you might not be getting in the workout you need. i agree with the dessert thing. If you dont need it than you might wont to get use to not having it and adding it back into you routine when you are losing at a good rate. Ok are you watching your liquid and slider cals. Those can really add up on you real fast if your arent really watching what you are drinking. Juices have a lot of sugar. Chip are bad! lol!!!!Im a guy and 1,500 cals a day seems like a large number is that the number your Dr. gave you? are you doing a good count of your cals to make sure that is all that is going into you.

When I hit a platue i change my workout and eating habits. If im walking I try to increase the distant or how many times i walk a day. i change up my cals intake by either adding some cals for a day or so or having a liquid diet for a day. I hope that helps

The difference between a grilled chicken breast and the seasoned meat in a taco salad is that the grilled chicken is MUCH more dry than the meat (be it beef or chicken) which was simmered in seasoning and some liquid is much more moist. LOTS of us have trouble with any meat that is dry. Try cooking your chicken a different way. The most moist way I can cook it, and I've repeated this multiple times on here, is to take a square of foil and place the chicken breast in the middle. Add a couple of tablespoons of chicken broth (I keep a box of chicken broth in the fridge for cooking purposes), put some broccoli, carrots, a little onion, some squash, season it and seal the foil package up. Put it on a baking sheet and baking at 350 for about 30 minutes. Move everything to your plate and throw away the foil and all the mess from cooking. Wipe the baking sheet and put it away. Obviously, you can prepare as many individual packages as it takes to feed the family (and maybe an extra one for your lunch the next day). If you want that Mexican flavor, you can use packaged taco seasoning and the required amount of liquid and simmer the boneless, skinless breast in that. But grilled is a hard, and often impossible, way to go. Crock pot cooking produces very moist, tender meat, too.

And, you should be coming up for another fill. If not already scheduled, MAKE THE APPOINTMENT.

Thank you for your feedback. Seeing your success really shows that you all know what you are talking about. I do want to clarify a few things. For Breakfast I have a EAS Protein Shake with half a banana and 1 cup of milk. In total, it's 36 grams of Protein and 291 calories. I am not a breakfast person (never have been) and this seems to work best for me. I make certain that I log everything that goes in my mouth during the day so I am confident that my calorie count is accurate. The 1,500/day calorie average is not a recommendation from my doctor, it's just what I seem to be averaging and given that the recommended daily allowance for a person my height / weight is 2,700 I thought I should certainly see a difference taking in almost half that amount. I get very little "empty" calories with exception to the low cal pudding, chips and the half cup of Blue Bell I eat in the evenings. I never drink full sugar sodas or juices...always crystal light or something comparable. With exception to protein calories, isn't a calorie a calorie regardless of what it consists of? Regarding exercise, my walks are definitely just strolls...nothing to get the heart rate up. I just don't have the motivation to start a strict exercise program at this point given my schedule. I know that would certainly allow me to lose more weight but I could have done that before I had the surgery. Cutting 50-75% of your daily calories (in my mind) should allow a person to drop pounds and that is the primary reason I had lap band.

I was banded one month after you, and my 3rd and 4th week after surgery, I hit a plateau and did not lose 1 lb. I was getting really discouraged...but I wasn't exercising. I stared walking on the treadmill and around our neighborhood 2 to 2.5 miles in just over 30minutes, and the scale started moving again! I've dropped 3 lbs in 5 days.....so I guess the moral to my story is, exercise worked for me!!!!!