Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok... I'm a little stressed out, so I'm posting here to gather thoughts and maybe a little motivation.

I was banded 8/20/08 and my weight loss process has been SLOW at best. I admit that I didn't do a lot of research into the surgery and when I had the surgery, I was preoccupied with a huge family crisis (child with brain cancer) and didn't spend a lot of time to focus on myself. I'm down about 60lbs, but I keep fluctuating, gaining, losing, until I finally hit another plateau... In comparison to others on this board, it doesn't seem like much! I feel like a total underachiever! My life is very stressful (chaotic is a better word) with a full time job, and school at night, plus a home life that sometimes, and especially now (also going through a messy breakup) and I feel like I've lost my support system. Every time I look at myself, I feel like I should have done more and what I've done isn't good enough. Maybe I'm having strange body issues? Everyone close to me always tells me how great I look, but I just don't feel it.

I don't want to go down like this... so what do I do next?

The pros of surgery is that I am a lot more physically active- I ran a 5k a few weeks ago, I now go on daily hour long walks and bike rides with my dogs, and I am now looking for an "activity" buddy that will want to go hiking with me. It's been a great change of pace! Also, I've been making healthier eating choices, and for ethical reasons, went vegetarian a few months ago... which was a hard decision to make, but I did so proudly. I was having some trouble getting in the right amount of Protein, so I recently started eating fish again and I still drink whey Protein shakes and eat eggs, cheese, etc. I do eat a lot of Beans, tofu, and oatmeal. Isn your opinion, is this detrimental to weight loss for a lap band patient?

The icing on the cake is that I feel a lot of pressure from my surgeon, to the point that I get anxious whenever I go to see him, feeling like I have lost an unacceptable amount of weight. I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I do, and since I had my 3rd fill in November, I have avoided going back to see him like the plague. My restriction is still good. I believe he put me up to 8cc's (or maybe 6) last time I saw him.

I'd really love to hear your honest thoughts, because right now, I'm having a really hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, especially with my 1 year bandiversary being right around the corner!!

barbarrito

I was banded on 20 Aug 08 too. I lost quickly initially and was "over filled" in Dec. He took some out and I went through Jan - Mar eating all soft foods and not losing anything---bouncing up and down about 4-6 lbs. I finally went back and he said that I was still too full and took some out. The in early May I went back because I was eating too much and gaining. He gave me a fill and right now I am still eating alot at each sitting and not losing but don't feel hungry either. So am a little confused with hte volume----espcially if I look at the "what did you eat today" site. Anyway, my total weight loss is about 50 lbs, basically the same since Dec and I am not a real happy camper. My goal for my 1 yr bandiversary is another 18 lbs and I am hoping to get there. I do work out but probably not as much as I should. But the real thing is that: 1) I am wearing smaller clothes; 2) my bloodwork is much better than a year ago; and I can at least workout now without my knees hurting. I consider those all "wins". However, I am not seeing the improvements physically. People tell me that I look great but I still see all the multiple chins, the chubby cheeks, the large arms, tight watch/rings, etc. I "see" no difference.

With the stress that you are under I think that you are doing great! Think about where you'd be if you hadn't had the surgery...something is helping you not over eat and to be able to exercise. Just double check what you are eating and make sure that it is solid enough to be staying with you for a good long time and not so soft that it is oozing through and then you are looking for more food too soon. I was doing that for 3 months--all soft foods (and watery foods--yogurt, chili, cottage cheese, puddings, etc). Hang in there and keep trying...I believe that you'll suddenly get results. But also, you paid your Dr and his staff a LOT of $$$$ go back and get some help from them. We all need help doing this, we cannot do it on our own. Virtual friends are great support but the Dr is the primary support. Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

i had my surgery on aug 6th, and have lost just under 70 pounds since surg. my doc is really happy with my weight loss progress. he says 1-2 pounds a week is what i should expect to loose. you sound like you are doing great.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You need to focus on the positive aspects of your renewed energy and loose clothes. We are all experts at beating up on ourselves and stress eating. Don't fall back into old habits and keep the faith! 60 pounds is AWESOME!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!

Your weight loss seems to be right on target, we are all going to lose at slightly varying rates, but you are in the right neighborhood.

I have some friends who are vegetarian/vegan and find enough protien at the health food store to make it work for them, if your concerned your not hitting the protien goal or that your carb content is too high talk to someone at the health food store I'm sure they can point you in a good direction.

Lastly, if you have been able to do this without getting a fill since November - YOU ARE DOING SPECTACULAR! It's unfortunate that you don't have a good relationship with your doctor, but it is also important that you continue getting fills until you find your sweet spot and then continuing to meet with your physician even after that as the Fluid in the band can sometimes slowly leak out over long periods of time, requiring a lifetime of care and fills from time to time. If your doctor isn't working for you perhaps you can find someone else who can do your followup care.

I think your doctor is the problem !!!!! You are doing great. My doctor said the average weight loss the first year is about 55lbs.

My doctor is very proud of my 58 lbs. in 9 months. Remember, We are only 9 months into this.

I'm in this for the long run and I know that I'm real happy with my weight loss and exercise program and most important, I feel great.

I have another 40 lbs to get to my goal and I realize more hard work is needed. The band really forces me to not over eat...

You should be very proud of your success and your life changes. Keep up the good work and keep exercising to reduce stress.

hey your weight loss is great compared to my pathetic attempt. 30 + lbs. i haven't lost any weight since dec ive had 2 fills since and will have another in june but i just cant get this to work for me any more im sooo up and down. Its normal cause life is up and down and unfortunately we prop ended up here cause we ate in accordance to our life. :purplebananna: . Im just venting on this now but does anyone wish they got the by pass - it just seems it would have been so much easier and quicker. I love the was i feel now compared to how i used to but this is sooo much harder than i expected and i feel a failure cause i cant do it and soooo many others can. :crying:aaagggghhhhh.

You've had a ROUGH year! But, weight-wise, you're doing great! With all you've been through you really haven't focused on yourself, and NOW is the time to do that.

One idea would be to start over. Re-read your info from the doctor. Go back to the beginning diet, or do the 5 day pouch test, as a kickstart. Measure your food for a couple of weeks, and track your intake. Be sure you're drinking enough Water. Get really focused on what goes in. After a couple of weeks, you'll be back on track and feel better.

I wish I could help you with the "activity buddy", but I'm too far away. Check around and find some kind of class; yoga, pilates, kickboxing, any type of group thing where you can meet people who are active. See if you can find a running club to join. I hope this helps.