Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Frustration-Not Losing Weight

I had lap band surgery on 07-25-08 and have only lost 35lbs. 11 of those the first week. It seems nothing works unless the fill is so tight that I live on pureed foods only. I've become very depressed and even angry because I feel all is lost especially when I hear how others have lost so much weight. I really need some support and some guidance. Any suggestions?

Hi Boykin,

I am having a similar problem. I was banded in March 2009, lost 20 lbs in the 1st 2 weeks, which was liquids, and have lost nothing ever since. I had a 2cc fill 2 weeks ago, but still feel little restriction. However, even with the diet I'm currently going through, I'm wondering how I am not losing weight!! Does anyone have suggestions??

Deemed, I really cannot say too much to help you with your frustration. I think that you may be comparing yourself to others and have unrealistic expectations. It is not likely that a single fill is going to have much effect past the first couple of days. Not that everyone has to have more than one...but that thinking that only one should have done it already. Take a breath and enjoy the 20# that you've lost. The rest will come in time, and DO NOT compare your fills and weight loss to ANYONE else.

Boykin, you hang in there. I'm nearly at the same point and level of frustration. I actually don't log on nearly as often as I used to just because looking at the other August All-Stars losses depresses me. Fortunately, I know which ones are following the pack with me and we have been able to cheer each other on without it sounding as superficial as it might from someone who is already in one-derland. I know that two of us email each other off of the boards where we can chat without others being able to judge or "over-cheer" us on. I know that sounds really ungrateful, but I'd imagine you know what I actually mean. Feel free to send me a personal email if you want to. Hwnscigirl1@yahoo.com

I had lap band surgery on 07-25-08 and have only lost 35lbs. 11 of those the first week. It seems nothing works unless the fill is so tight that I live on pureed foods only. I've become very depressed and even angry because I feel all is lost especially when I hear how others have lost so much weight. I really need some support and some guidance. Any suggestions?

Have you tried keeping a food log to know exactly what it is you are eating? If you have access to get online thru-out the day you can do it online there are a number of sites that already have the breakdown there for you. What about your Water intake? Do you have a regular excercise routine? Also I don't know what kind of diet you are eating, but I always had the best results (pre-band) with a SouthBeach'ish way of eating, complex carbs lean low fat protien.

I'm in no way suggesting that your not doing your part, just offering suggestions on things that could help. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you to be having such slow progress after such a huge change in your life.

I hope you find what you need to give you a good jump start! Best of luck!!!

~Monica

I am feeling the same frustration. I had surgery 4/23 and have lost 15 lbs. I have 5 cc fill and can feel very little restriction. I know that I need to change my diet even more, but without the restriction, I feel hopeless. I will work out more and try to decrease my food intake, but the more depressed I feel, the worse I eat

I'm also in NC (Nags Head).

My surgery was Feb 11 and I've been more successful than some of the other posters in this topic.

What I want to say is that I agree with the lady who suggests keeping a food log. My wife and I have been using a paper log; just writing down what we eat & drink every day.

Even though the band helps the key is that we still have to keep the calories down. It's not the band... it's the diet. The band should only help with the hunger that drives us to eat. Let me add this too... the band helps me with the "real" hunger but does nothing for the "head-hunger"; that I've just had to "tough-through".

If you're making poor food choices the weight will not come off. PERIOD

My surgeon's practice has in-place a program where diet plays a large part. It's a high-protein, low carb diet.

I know the diet works... my wife hasn't had the surgery; she's just following the same diet as I am and she's lost 60 pounds since the end of January. I've lost 73 pounds with the band.

Dear Dare301obx, Do you have a sample of that diet you could share?

Dear Dare301obx, Do you have a sample of that diet you could share?

That pretty much sounds like a South Beach Diet to me, I don't know if you have ever tried it before, but persoanlly I believe it is a pretty healthy way of eating. Pretty basic eat lean protien and complex carbs (I would suggest actually reading the book though).

With South Beach and Curves I was able to lose about 80 lbs in 10 month (pre band) but then I gave up on myself and crawled right back up the scale.....but hopefully my band will keep that from ever happening again!!

I have a healthy diet and eat small meals no bread or deserts . High Protein and low carbs. I exercise two to three times per week and stay active. I have hyporthyroid disease, which I take 300mg per day. I am surprise that my weight loss is so slow. I don't crave foods or sweets. Should I go back on the pre surgery and post surgery diet for a month to get a jump start?

I haven't had the surgery yet. But I have found that a journal does actually kinda sorta help even though it doesn't seem like it would. And if you hate the whole pen and pad approach as I do {I have horrid handwritting}. If you have one of the new fancy dancy phones that allows Apps they have an app that allows you to log in what you eat and is fairly user friendly. And it also keeps track of your weight and BP and sleep and Water. AND then it allows you to see it all graphed out which I love. I really do like graphs, silly I know.

But what confuses me is if you are eating as you should and are on a "diet" why wouldn't you lose? That makes no sense to my logical brain. I hear that so often it scares me. Is the band doing something to cause people from actually losing? My doctor isn't really much help with this worry either!

Best of luck!