Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding and VSG

Hi everyone,

I am new to all of this, I just found out that I am having surgery on May 18. This all happened VERY quickly, I was just referred a little over a month ago by my primary care doctor had WLS orientation, Psych consult and nutrition consult. My surgeon is PCSing to a new base in June (I am having my surgery performed at a military hospital) he did my gall bladder surgery in 2006, and I absolutely adore him. He squeezed me into his schedule and here I am. I was so tore between the Lap band and the sleeve, I think I have finally decided to go with the sleeve, I have until Friday to let him know.

My only concern is I have a 19 month old toddler that still nurses a lot, mostly for comfort I am sure because he eats and drinks everything! Does anyone know of or have any advice about continuing breastfeeding during any weight loss surgery? I told my surgeon and he assured me that everything would be fine, and he would get my big baby in my room to nurse just as soon as I am able. Also I I have 4 kids, ages 17,11,7, and 19 months. I know with the Lap band you go home pretty quickly and post-op recovery is pretty easy, how about with the sleeve?

Thanks for reading my post and I can't wait to hear from you!:thumbup:

Hi everyone,

I am new to all of this, I just found out that I am having surgery on May 18. This all happened VERY quickly, I was just referred a little over a month ago by my primary care doctor had WLS orientation, Psych consult and nutrition consult. My surgeon is PCSing to a new base in June (I am having my surgery performed at a military hospital) he did my gall bladder surgery in 2006, and I absolutely adore him. He squeezed me into his schedule and here I am. I was so tore between the Lap band and the sleeve, I think I have finally decided to go with the sleeve, I have until Friday to let him know.

My only concern is I have a 19 month old toddler that still nurses a lot, mostly for comfort I am sure because he eats and drinks everything! Does anyone know of or have any advice about continuing breastfeeding during any weight loss surgery? I told my surgeon and he assured me that everything would be fine, and he would get my big baby in my room to nurse just as soon as I am able. Also I I have 4 kids, ages 17,11,7, and 19 months. I know with the Lap band you go home pretty quickly and post-op recovery is pretty easy, how about with the sleeve?

Thanks for reading my post and I can't wait to hear from you!:thumbup:

I am not sure about the breastfeeding thing, but I am having my surgery at Eglin down here as well.

I'm having my lapband removed after 7 short months. I've had several complications post-op, and it was not anything I did or didn't do.

I'm revising to the Sleeve with Dr. Michel at Eglin. . . Who is your surgeon that is PCS'ing.

Dr. Michel is having another surgeon assist on my revision, and I'm scheduled for June 3rd. He scheduled with me rather quickly because he said this other surgeon wasn't going to be available.

Regarding the recovery time, he told me if I was not having the band removed, I would go home the next day. But, since I am a full revision in one procedure, he is keeping for 2 nights.

And I'll throw this out there, my post op recovery with the band was absolutely miserable, I had to sleep in my recliner for almost a month. . .

I used to do some counseling of bfing moms. There is nothing about a sleeve (or the band for that matter) what would prevent you from bfing.

However, you probably want to wait until the anesthesia is somewhat out of your system before starting up again. With a 19 month old, I would say that should be pretty easy to accomplish as they are better about waiting at that age than, say, a 4 month old.

Also, there is a risk that the very low calories you'll be on in the beginning might mess with your supply. A lot of this will depend on the diet your surgeon has you on. Mine had us on thin liquids right away so I could do Protein Shakes and was easily getting in 70 g. of Protein a day. But some put you on Clear Liquids for 7-14 days after and that might make it more difficult.

I agree - same with pregnancy, i dont think its specific to any surgery, more the effects of very low calories and fast weight loss.

Weight loss can, as many of us can attest, cause quite significant hormonal disturbances. Toddlers do weird things like wean themselves suddenly when you're pregnant because your milk suddenly tastes different. My oldest said yuck at 15 months and that was it. This *could* occur with weight loss too.

So how does that make you feel? 19 months is a superb effort and the chances are, your milk supply is very well established, your routines in place and your body very adept at lactation. So in all likelihood, other than having to express and discard your milk for a day or two whilst the anaesthetic is in your system, you will have no disruption to your supply as long as you are able to keep your fluids up. You tend to be a drinking machine during lactation.

It must be a dilemma, on the one hand, breastfeeding is such a good thing that only you can do for your children, on the other, sooner or later YOUR health and happiness need to come first again.

Its not a guarantee anyone can give you but the odds are it'll all work fine. There's certainly people on this board who have done it.

Edited by Jachut

Thank you all for such encouraging informantion, I am so stressed out I have even thought about calling the whole thing off, but I know that I have got have this done so I can be around for my children. I think the hardest part is just worrying about my baby boy being without me for a couple of days, we have never been apart for more then a few hours, never a night.

Tiffykins,

My surgeon is Dr. Stamp, I wish I could trade dates with you! I think I am going to go ahead and do the Sleeve.

I wish you the best of luck with your revision.

Thank you all for such encouraging informantion, I am so stressed out I have even thought about calling the whole thing off, but I know that I have got have this done so I can be around for my children. I think the hardest part is just worrying about my baby boy being without me for a couple of days, we have never been apart for more then a few hours, never a night.

Tiffykins,

My surgeon is Dr. Stamp, I wish I could trade dates with you! I think I am going to go ahead and do the Sleeve.

I wish you the best of luck with your revision.

I know it is so stressful being away from our babies, but I think one of my biggest motivations in having this done is my son. I want to see him married, and I want to spoil his children. . . If I don't do something, I know it won't happen.

I'll send you a message with my contact information. I just live in Navarre, so if you need anything, and I mean anything at all, just let me know. I work part time, and could come help with dinner, or dishes, or laundry, or just come keep you company and help with the kiddos.

I know how difficult it is being overwhelmed with kiddos, truthfully I just have 1 and I can't imagine having 4.

But, please do not hesitate in picking up the phone and texting or calling me.

I'm off on Wednesdays, and on the weekends.

Dr. Stamp is amazing, I met another one of his patients at Cato's in Pensacola. She had the sleeve about 7 months ago is down 90lbs, and in a size 14. She was buying clothes off the rack and didn't have to try anything on. Her story is what helped me track down Dr. Stamp and Dr. Michel.